Findmall.com

American Ghost Town Hunters

Welcome! Log In Register
How can I find out about a ghost town?
Posted by: cyberdan (SoCA)
Date: December 10, 2016 01:56PM
I know the town of Centerville, CA existed, many people have told me about it. But I can not find any internet info on it. It is about 15 miles south of Eureka.

cyberdan (at garage sales I am dollardan)

Re: How can I find out about a ghost town?
Posted by: kingingkunsan
Date: January 11, 2017 11:47AM
http://www.ghosttowns.com/

good site for ghost towns. But I did not see Centerville. Maybe you could dig deeper.

Posted by: Roscue2
Date: February 26, 2017 03:51PM
Perhaps talk to a local historical society, or libraries if the internet isn't showing anything.

Posted by: Herb Jones
Date: March 05, 2017 12:33PM
Google earth should show old roadbeds, also old,cemeteries usually remain unless they were relocated for public works projects.. dial back the history timeline in google earth and you can see things as the seasons change. Locating old fords/ stream crossings usually isn't too difficult. Those waterways were crossed/used many times prior to bridges being built.... also the courthouse should have old land maps that's were used for tax purposes.... you will find little pieces and have to interpolate and extrapolate those details..... try googling historical maps of when the county was first formed, and they will generally show primary settlements at the time the county boundaries were drawn up....

Date: March 09, 2017 08:10PM
kingingkunsan
good site for ghost towns. But I did not see Centerville. Maybe you could dig deeper.

I couldn't find it either. But I found out there is a ghost town just a few miles from where I used to own 14 acres. Believe it or not the town is called Waldo.

So I am asking WHERE'S WALDO?

Josephine county Oregon.

Date: March 09, 2017 08:18PM
I posted my question back before Christmas and since then I did some library research and found out a lot about it.

I also did research about a town I was going to move to. I was staying in Eureka, CA for three months waiting on my home to be finished about 80 miles north. So I went to the local library at least three times a week to their research room. (it is quiet, warm and no homeless)

I found out so much about my new town, Crescent City, CA. The library in Eureka has 10 times the research material on my new county than my local library.

So if you guys have not tried your library go give it a visit. It might have a special room just for research on your local area.

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login