Findmall.com

Minelab X-TERRA Forum

Welcome! Log In Register
Minelab 505 vs 705
Posted by: RodgerC130
Date: November 13, 2011 01:35PM
Hello everyone, I'm new to metal detecting and looking for a new metal detector. I'm
looking at the 505/705. I did a side by side comparison on the KellyCo website and
saw that there seems to be very little difference. Since I'm starting out I'm leaning
towards the 505 but is there any real reason I should consider the 705 over the 505?
Any help/input would be appreciated. Thanks.
Rodger

Re: Minelab 505 vs 705
Posted by: Digger
Date: November 13, 2011 02:51PM
Rodger, Welcome to the X-TERRA forum.
Since Minelab added Multiple tone audio and the ability to use the 3 kHz coil, there are fewer reasons now than there were when we had the X-50 and X-70. However, there are differences. The X-705 has more "adjustment segments" for sensitivity and ground balance, allowing the user to estabilish a more precise setting for each. The 705 has 28 notch segments and the 505 has 19. That difference results in the 705 providing a more "refined" TID. The 705 offers Prospecting mode for those who might be nugget hunters. The 705 offers a backlight for those who have a hard time stopping when it gets dark. The 705 offers Auto ground balance. The 505 is manually adjusted. The 705 offers Tracking GB for those who want their detector to maintain the proper ground balance while working a site. The 705 offers Beach Tracking for those who hunt saltwater beaches. The 705 offers Tracking GB offset so you can offset the ground phase and maintain that offset "on the fly". The 705 allows the detector to establish the proper noise cancel channel Automatically. The 505 is manual. Both offer Pinpoint mode, but the 705 has the option of Sizing Pinpoint.

Honestly, you are the only one who can answer the question as to which one is best for you. Budget is always a consideration. If you don't prospect, beach hunt or need tracking, either one will do quite well. If you want the detector to make the setting choices for you (NC and GB) instead of you manually selecting them, or you want to detect with some sort of tracking, then know that the 705 is the only one that does it. Both are excellent detectors and meet the needs of many. Since you are new to the hobby, if you would tell us a bit about the part of the world you live in, and what types of "treasures" you are searching for, we might be able to provide more information. HH Randy

You'll never know for sure......unless you dig it! HH "Digger"

After 40+ years of detecting, and having owned dozens of different detectors, I've come to the conclusion that maintaining success in the field is largely dependent on three things..... choice of site, acquiring a proper skill set for the detector and the detector itself..... in that order. Research, practice and persistence. There are no substitutes.

Date: November 13, 2011 03:10PM
Thanks Digger, I live in Columbus, Ohio and will be looking for silver coins, jewelry etc. I am retired military and will be spending a lot of time out looking, so I just want to get a decent detector. I know I don't need a top of the line detector, but still would like a good one so that I won't have to update real soon. Thanks for the information.

Posted by: teviotlad
Date: November 13, 2011 03:10PM
i have the 305 with similar manual gb to the 505. if you plan to do any more than casual dry sand coin shooting on the beach, ie u want to do wet sand work, then the auto gb beach mode of the 705 is the one u want. i mainly do beach and wish i had a 705

Posted by: 7centsworth
Date: November 13, 2011 07:18PM
Welcome to the forum.

Christian Ky Boy
Minelab x-terra 70

Posted by: Furious T
Date: November 14, 2011 01:10AM
Welcome to the forum. If price is not a huge consideration, and you think that metal detecting might be the hobby for you (you never know until you try), then the 705 might be the way to go. Digger pinpointed a number of differences between the 505 and 705, so you have a good idea of the main differences. I think you will learn either machine well, as the higher grade 705 will still be easy to understand the basics, and you will grow in expertise as you grow in experience. You will get a good machine either way. HH, Pete

Posted by: tjhoosier
Date: November 14, 2011 04:48AM
Rodger, I bought the XT-505 and started out with it. It's a great machine. Just recently I upgraded to the 705. The reason for this is that I intend to use it in the future as a nugget hunter and I have the opportunity, on occasion, to hunt the beaches of South Carolina. Plus I like the two auto features of ground balance and noise cancel. Given the situation over I probably would have spent the extra money initially on the 705, but that was an individual choice as it should be with you also. The 705 has some features that will allow you to hunt better in different situations, but the 505 is a great MD and I have found a lot of coins and such with it. In fact I still have it and I might be interested in parting with it. If you are interested, send me an email and we can talk about it. tj9267@ameritech.net. Good luck and welcome to the forum. Tom

Indianapolis, IN, USA
"Endeavor to persevere" Chief Dan George
Minelab Xterra 705
Garrett Pro Pointer

Posted by: leroy1937
Date: November 14, 2011 07:16AM
Welcome
If you can afford it go with the 705 you will have all bases covered

Good things well come to those who wait
I'M STILL WAITING
yuma az in winter
NM state parks in summer time
From Wis

Welcome Roger! As have been said...
Posted by: Big Boys Hobbies
Date: November 14, 2011 08:17AM
The major differences are the Auto tracking ground balance, Auto noise cancel, back light, 4 preset discrimination modes, 3 search modes wider sensitivity settings and prospecting mode. All very cool features.

Holler if you have more questions or for a great deal on one! Love to help you! Thanks, Bart

Bart Davis
Bart@BigBoysHobbies.net
Findmall Sponsor BigBoysHobbies.net
Email, call or text for best deals. 405-206-9010
Minelab USA Partner of the year award 2012. Minelab customer service award 2012.
Authorized Minelab Metal Detectors Fisher Metal Detectors Whites Metal Detectors Teknetics Metal Detectors Garrett Metal Detectors XP Deus Dealer.

Posted by: bigtim1973
Date: November 14, 2011 12:08PM
Well do not underestimate the 505. If your not going to go hunt on beaches or prospect for gold then I would definately get the 505. It is a great metal detector. It has noise cancel also but you have to manually do it as opposed to it doing it automatically like the 705. When set up correctly on the ground balance and sensitivity, it will hang with the big boys without any problelms. Remember also in certain conditions, sensitivity turned up too much is a bad thing because the detector sees too much ground instead of seeing through the ground. The secret to being succesful is by doing research of where you intend to hunt and also taking the time to learn what the detector does, which includes digging every good repeatable signal to learn what the targets are. There is a guide on here for coins ID on the xterra machines but there is not much on civil war relics and jewelery. If you bought the 505 I believe you would be very happy with it. Good luck and keep us posted on what you get. HH Tim

Date: November 14, 2011 05:22PM
Hey thanks to everyone for all of the input, I really appreciate it. Now I really am not sure which way to go but am starting to lean toward the 705 because of the auto ground balance and other features that the 505 doesn't have. I work at a coin shop that sells metal detectors mostly White and Minelab. Also there is a guy that works there part time that has been MDing for 40 years and he travels around the world MDing. He has made some unbelievable finds, that has literally paid for his trips. I'll get a lot of help from him. His wife said he needs structure in his life so he works 1 day a week at our shop as the main man for metal detectors, then hunts the other 6 days a week. Thanks again for all the help.

Date: November 14, 2011 06:22PM
Well I was just checking out the KellyCo website and found a like new X-terra 705 with the factory warranty for $600.00 so that just made my decision easy. Should have it by the weekend.

Posted by: bigtim1973
Date: November 14, 2011 11:04PM
Well good luck with that 705!!!! I am sure you will be happy with it too. Keep us posted on your thoughts, Tim

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login