Findmall.com

Minelab X-TERRA Forum

Welcome! Log In Register
Conductivity of Gold vs Silver
Posted by: GTzer
Date: January 16, 2012 10:32PM
I did not do a search yet. Why is gold (even al) described as low Conductivity compared to silver or copper? It's obviously different.
But aren't they all great conductive metals- of electricity? None are magnetic. SO what are the detectors measuring? -resistance, oxidation .......

Re: Conductivity of Gold vs Silver
Posted by: Digger
Date: January 17, 2012 10:20AM
Although the term "conductivity" is commonly used to describe target properties, what the detector is looking for is the target's "time constant". A targets time constant is comprised of its inductance and its conductivity. If you take a look in the FAQFAQ section listed near the top of these posts, you'll find an articl written by Bruce Candy of Minelab that has a lot of interesting information concerning this very subject. HH Randy

Metal Detector Basics and Theory --- paper by Bruce Candy
http://www.minelab.com/__files/f/11043/METAL%20DETECTOR%20BASICS%20AND%20THEORY.pdf

You'll never know for sure......unless you dig it! HH "Digger"

After 40+ years of detecting, and having owned dozens of different detectors, I've come to the conclusion that maintaining success in the field is largely dependent on three things..... choice of site, acquiring a proper skill set for the detector and the detector itself..... in that order. Research, practice and persistence. There are no substitutes.

Date: January 17, 2012 10:38AM
As always Randy- thanks for the info & link.
Greg

Posted by: Big Boys Hobbies
Date: January 17, 2012 01:11PM
Digger
Although the term "conductivity" is commonly used to describe target properties, what the detector is looking for is the target's "time constant". A targets time constant is comprised of its inductance and its conductivity. If you take a look in the FAQFAQ section listed near the top of these posts, you'll find an articl written by Bruce Candy of Minelab that has a lot of interesting information concerning this very subject. HH Randy

Metal Detector Basics and Theory --- paper by Bruce Candy
http://www.minelab.com/__files/f/11043/METAL%20DETECTOR%20BASICS%20AND%20THEORY.pdf

Great post Digger!

Bart Davis
Bart@BigBoysHobbies.net
Findmall Sponsor BigBoysHobbies.net
Email, call or text for best deals. 405-206-9010
Minelab USA Partner of the year award 2012. Minelab customer service award 2012.
Authorized Minelab Metal Detectors Fisher Metal Detectors Teknetics Metal Detectors Garrett Metal Detectors XP Deus Dealer.

Posted by: David
Date: January 17, 2012 04:35PM
Silver and copper are a better conductivity of electricity than gold and aluminum, and gold is a better conductivity of electricity than iron, and iron is a better conductivity of electricity than wood or rubber, And boy, rubber boots are sure a poor conductivity of electricity, as you probably know what I mean, but if you wore boots made of aluminum you would sure feel the electrical difference first hand.!

Date: January 18, 2012 05:20PM
David,
Thanks for stating the obvious. Looks like in the MD process there is a more complex meaning along with the electrical conductive properties of the metals. That was one of the reasons for my post. In order of (least) resistance (actually the least,lesser resistance =a more efficient path to conduct electricity) the order would be Silver,copper,gold aluminum. All 4 are great conductors of electricity and in a general sense -interchangeable- that is- Al is used instead of copper (due to cost) for the power line coming into your house.
Because it "oxidizes" into a more brittle form than copper- it has been outlawed for "in house" electric. Because gold doesn't oxidize it can replace silver in certain high tech and harsh environment applications.
All being great conductors-I couldn't imagine that a MD could detect such small variations in electrical conductivity alone. And they don't.
And they actually do make conductive rubber -now days- but I get what you were trying to say.

Great link. Thanks Digger.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 01/18/2012 05:32PM by GTzer.

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login