Findmall.com

Minelab X-TERRA Forum

Welcome! Log In Register
MXT vs. X-Terra
Posted by: Casull
Date: February 16, 2012 08:11PM
Anybody have experience with both? I have the X-Terra, but the multiple tones are driving me nuts. I wonder if I would be better off with the MXT. Thanks.

Re: MXT vs. X-Terra
Posted by: JHM
Date: February 16, 2012 08:36PM
If my memory is right the xterra has both a single and 2 tone mode

Date: February 16, 2012 09:20PM
This is the X-Terra 70. It actually can be set for 1, 2, 3, 4 or 28 tones. I've been trying the 28 tones and it's sometimes maddening.

Posted by: JHM
Date: February 17, 2012 04:14AM
The xterra 70 is a good detector with the right coil. I would try 2 tone mode and set the low tone for iron. After you got used to it then you can try the other features. 28 tones would make anybody want to scream.

Posted by: leroy1937
Date: February 17, 2012 07:21AM
I;m not sure but if you have it on 28 tones,it should only play 1

Good things well come to those who wait
I'M STILL WAITING
yuma az in winter
NM state parks in summer time
From Wis

Posted by: Old Longhair
Date: February 17, 2012 07:41AM
I run mine in AM w/28 tones most of the time. You won't appreciate either until you learn to slow down.
The other thing that it will teach you, is where your machine's sensitivity needs to be at a given location to remain stable.

If you want to go fast and only skim the surface, go with the MXT. But, if you want to find it all, spend some more time with the Xterra.

>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>The Only Difference Between A Rut And A Grave........Is Depth!<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<
Ingham County, Michigan

Posted by: robo
Date: February 17, 2012 07:45AM
I have swung both. The MXT Pro and now the 705. In field performance in my soil is about the same. However I prefer the tones on the 705 way better. I like the display better on the 705 also. Also, the vdi numbers seem to be way more stable on deeper targets with the 705. Each has its own following so it really comes down to what the user is more comfortable with. To me its the 705!

Posted by: BADBAJA
Date: February 17, 2012 08:45AM
I walk right behind my neighbor with his MXT and pick up the coins he misses. Get to learn the machine. Only dig solid tones until your a little more used to it Andreas the e book
100 times.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 02/17/2012 08:48AM by BADBAJA.

Date: February 17, 2012 10:32AM
Thanks fellows. Maybe I just needed a little encouragement. The place I've been detecting is over two hundred years old with mineralized soil. The bits of iron and junk have been driving me nuts. Seems like I have a dozen signals with each swing of the coil. Maybe I'll give it a little more time.

Posted by: Old Longhair
Date: February 17, 2012 11:27AM
Try backing the SENS down a bit. Too much actually robs you of depth. The machine should run stable if properly set, and should not give false signals.

>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>The Only Difference Between A Rut And A Grave........Is Depth!<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<
Ingham County, Michigan

Date: February 17, 2012 12:24PM
Yes, I did find that I have to back the SEN down quite a bit due to the high mineralization. In northern IL I could run at 25 to 28, but here in VA, I found that if I ran at 25, I was getting probably 35+ signals per sweep. By backing it down to about 15, I probably cut that number by two thirds. But, I suspect that I'm losing quite a bit of depth at the same time.

Posted by: Digger
Date: February 17, 2012 01:14PM
If the iron and junk are driving you nuts, notch them out. By the way, notch discrimination and the ability to select specific segments of acceptance and rejection is just one of the things the X-TERRA will do that the MXT will not. If your soil is highly mineralzed and you're not using a DD coil, you might consider doing so. If you want single tones, as with the MXT, or dual tone as the MXT offers in Relic mode, set your X-TERRA up as such. And as others have said, slow down your sweep. HH Randy

You'll never know for sure......unless you dig it! HH "Digger"

After 40+ years of detecting, and having owned dozens of different detectors, I've come to the conclusion that maintaining success in the field is largely dependent on three things..... choice of site, acquiring a proper skill set for the detector and the detector itself..... in that order. Research, practice and persistence. There are no substitutes.

Date: February 17, 2012 01:38PM
Thanks Randy. I just finished reading your book (actually twice). So, of course I've been running in AM with 28 tones. I'm currently using the 6" DD 18.75 mhz coil. But, I think I'm experiencing some sensory overload. I guess I'll keep slogging it out for awhile.

Posted by: Digger
Date: February 17, 2012 03:19PM
If it is any consulation, I wasn't comfortable using minimal discrimination with multiple tone mode until I had a couple hundred hours of X-TERRA under my belt. And I've been detecting for 40 years! The 6-inch coil is my "coil of choice" for those trashy environments. But don't sweep too quickly or it will chirp with false signals. Especially if you are running with a high level of Sensitivity. By the way, I have owned several MXTs, and they are good detectors. But once you get use to the functionality of the X-TERRA, you'll find it difficult to go back to a detector with variable discrimination and single tone response. JMHO HH Randy

You'll never know for sure......unless you dig it! HH "Digger"

After 40+ years of detecting, and having owned dozens of different detectors, I've come to the conclusion that maintaining success in the field is largely dependent on three things..... choice of site, acquiring a proper skill set for the detector and the detector itself..... in that order. Research, practice and persistence. There are no substitutes.

Posted by: MT_VertCaver
Date: February 17, 2012 03:38PM
When I started detecting with my 70 last winter, I tried 28 tones...but it was too much. It drove me nuts.:smile: I used 4 tones for a couple weeks, and then forced myself to use 28. Now, I wouldn't go back. Those extra tones give me information that I don't want to ignore.

Minelab X-Terra 70, 10" MF DD, 9" MF concentric, 5x10" HF DD
Montana

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login