Findmall.com

Minelab X-TERRA Forum

Welcome! Log In Register
Which coil for finding a ring
Posted by: pplinker
Date: August 10, 2017 12:21PM
A friend asked me today what I've been doing and when I said metal detecting, her face all lit up. Said she lost her expensive silver ring. Going to go next week sometime and hunt for it and will use the Minelab 705. I have the 9" stock mid freq, 9" 3 kHz concentric, 5" 18 KHZ DD and 5" coiltek 3khz concentric, and 5 x 9 18 KHZ DD. Which would seem best for finding a ring, lost in the yard within the last month, probably not that deep?

Greetings and good luck from West Virginia

XP Dius, Minelab 704 with 3khz 9 inch coil, 18 KHZ 5 inch coil, 5 inch coiltek coil, 18 kHz 5 x 9 coil. Original Garrot pinpointer, Garrot pinpointer pro and M16 pinpointer

1831 large cent, 1838 seated silver dime, 1901 barber dime, 1864 two-cent piece,1886,1900 and 1904 Indian head pennies, 3 silver Washington quarters, 3 Roosevelt dimes. 30 or 40 wheats, 10K black hills gold ring, 1974 10K gold class ring, 1870 Artillery button, 1940 and 1944 Mercury dime, ?? three cent piece

I am a 61 year old wife and mother with two daughters and three granddaughters. I'm thankful for all God's blessings.

Re: Which coil for finding a ring
Posted by: Old Longhair
Date: August 10, 2017 12:51PM
I would use the 9" 3kHz coil and a pinpointer personally. It will light that silver right up, and the audio difference between silver and everything else will make the recovery much faster and easier.
Just turn the SENS down to about 10 and get busy. Being a recent drop it will be virtually on top of everything else, and the pinpointer will make checking out probable hits much faster.

Ingham County, Michigan

Date: August 10, 2017 01:48PM
Old Longhair
I would use the 9" 3kHz coil and a pinpointer personally. It will light that silver right up, and the audio difference between silver and everything else will make the recovery much faster and easier.
Just turn the SENS down to about 10 and get busy. Being a recent drop it will be virtually on top of everything else, and the pinpointer will make checking out probable hits much faster.

Turn Sens down to 10? So it won't be hitting on anything too deep. I wouldn't have thought of that. Thank you. Can't wait to try it. She has a busy weekend so hoping to go early next week.

XP Dius, Minelab 704 with 3khz 9 inch coil, 18 KHZ 5 inch coil, 5 inch coiltek coil, 18 kHz 5 x 9 coil. Original Garrot pinpointer, Garrot pinpointer pro and M16 pinpointer

1831 large cent, 1838 seated silver dime, 1901 barber dime, 1864 two-cent piece,1886,1900 and 1904 Indian head pennies, 3 silver Washington quarters, 3 Roosevelt dimes. 30 or 40 wheats, 10K black hills gold ring, 1974 10K gold class ring, 1870 Artillery button, 1940 and 1944 Mercury dime, ?? three cent piece

I am a 61 year old wife and mother with two daughters and three granddaughters. I'm thankful for all God's blessings.

Date: August 11, 2017 12:34AM
Good luck! Let us know how it turns out.
Oh...and we want pics too!

Ingham County, Michigan

Posted by: Dan-Pa.
Date: August 13, 2017 09:54AM
Old adage lower freq for silver and higher for gold...Keep in mind once found a nice gold ring lost one day and it was buried so someone may have stepped on it so your ring may not be on top either...Like he idea of turning sens. down so you won't be reading deep objects....

Posted by: bd1024
Date: August 16, 2017 08:22PM
There is a good video on YouTube about rings and the VDI #'s they produce, (by Gerry's Detectors)---- Use the 7.5 stock coil, notch out everything except 6-8-10-12-14-and 16-----That should be the VDI that the ring will appear under. ---- Some larger, heavier mens rings might chime in a little higher, but if it is a womans ring, it will be one of those lower numbers. ---- Sens at about 20 will be plenty. -----keep the coil off the ground a couple inches. ---- Have confidence, it will show up under one of the numbers mentioned.

Date: August 16, 2017 08:24PM
Nevermind, I see now that your post said SILVER-----my guess would be about the same as a dime/clad penny, probably around 80.

Date: August 16, 2017 11:35PM
bd1024
Nevermind, I see now that your post said SILVER-----my guess would be about the same as a dime/clad penny, probably around 80.
????????? Our TID only goes to 48 on a 705. If it rings up 80 there's something wrong!

Ingham County, Michigan

Date: August 18, 2017 09:44AM
Good point, I was thinking of another machine. Guess I should have said 36 + or -

Date: August 18, 2017 10:34AM
Hunted for the ring this morning and no good news to report. Had the sensitivity at 10, 3 kHz coil. She was on the tractor and I checked the places she got off and both sides of the path between the barn and house. Can't win em all, but thanks for the suggestions and help.

Date: August 18, 2017 03:22PM
pplinker
Hunted for the ring this morning and no good news to report. Had the sensitivity at 10, 3 kHz coil. She was on the tractor and I checked the places she got off and both sides of the path between the barn and house. Can't win em all, but thanks for the suggestions and help.
Bummer! Unfortunately that's the way it goes sometimes.
I went on a ring recovery mission a couple weeks ago, but what I didn't know until I got there was that the area it was lost in had been mowed in two different directions earlier THAT DAY! I spent three hours searching and didn't find it or any parts of it. I told the lady that it had either been found already by someone else or been thrown out of the immediate area by the mower....we'll never know.

Ingham County, Michigan

Date: August 18, 2017 08:10PM
Old Longhair
Bummer! Unfortunately that's the way it goes sometimes.
I went on a ring recovery mission a couple weeks ago, but what I didn't know until I got there was that the area it was lost in had been mowed in two different directions earlier THAT DAY! I spent three hours searching and didn't find it or any parts of it. I told the lady that it had either been found already by someone else or been thrown out of the immediate area by the mower....we'll never know.

Yes, and sometimes people think they lost something a certain place but they could be mistaken and lost it some where else.

Posted by: Neil
Date: August 23, 2017 08:17AM
I would try putting the sens as high as it will go without falsing. That's a high conductor item and round so its gonna read high above the majority of junk. Dig anything higher than a pull tab. If your in grass and someone stepped on it you want as much sens as possible to pick it up as far away from the coil as possible.

in everything give thanks

Etrac
X5
Xterra 705
T2

SunrayGold and Detectorpro Black Widow headphones

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login