Findmall.com

Minelab X-TERRA Forum

Welcome! Log In Register
Lost 3KHZ concentric coil finally found, but broken
Posted by: pplinker
Date: August 29, 2017 11:08AM
Yesterday my husband was working in the garage and he moved his welding helmet and my 3KHZ coil was hanging up behind it after being lost for several years. The ear tabs were broken off. I just don't understand how it got broke and how it got stuck behind his helmet. Weird.

Any suggestions on how to fix broken ear tabs on a Minelab coil?

Greetings and good luck from West Virginia

XP Dius, Minelab 704 with 3khz 9 inch coil, 18 KHZ 5 inch coil, 5 inch coiltek coil, 18 kHz 5 x 9 coil. Original Garrot pinpointer, Garrot pinpointer pro and M16 pinpointer

1831 large cent, 1838 seated silver dime, 1901 barber dime, 1864 two-cent piece,1886,1900 and 1904 Indian head pennies, 3 silver Washington quarters, 3 Roosevelt dimes. 30 or 40 wheats, 10K black hills gold ring, 1974 10K gold class ring, 1870 Artillery button, 1940 and 1944 Mercury dime, ?? three cent piece

I am a 61 year old wife and mother with two daughters and three granddaughters. I'm thankful for all God's blessings.

Re: Lost 3KHZ concentric coil finally found, but broken
Posted by: Old Longhair
Date: August 29, 2017 12:52PM
Although I haven't used it on a coil (yet), I have a plastic welder that could probably be used to attach replacement ears.
Maybe you could check out a plastic welding repair service in your area?

Others have repaired broken ears with various glue schemes with some success. Someone will probably come along with suggestions on what to use and/or how to do it.

Ingham County, Michigan

Posted by: bob.oz
Date: August 29, 2017 09:00PM
Has the coil been out there so long that the plastic has degraded from heat or were the ears broken from something they might of hit. If degraded, the ears might not be the only brittle part that would only take a bump to crack, check the housing and wire too.

Maybe OLH can find this post:...
It's been a few years or more, but I think it was ??Emmitt??,that did a post here on ear repair. He would add/melt the broken coil pieces in MEK and reform the ears on the coil with the mixture. The one he posted that he repaired looked awesome.

>_>_>You can Google/Image, "Search coil lug repair" for other ideas, One idea I like is to find a 3D printer to make up new ears.

Posted by: WoodsWalker
Date: August 30, 2017 07:50AM
Hey Bob. Same thing happened to my ears out in the field, but it was still under warranty and Minelab replaced it at no charge. But I am also curious for a quick fix on broken coil ears for future use! HAPPY HUNTING ALL!

Emmett:usaflag:

"When in doubt, dig it out!!!

Live in Massachusetts

Minelab X-Terra 705 w/
9inch CC 7.5 and 3kHz
6inch DD 18.75kHz

Minelab X-Terra 70
Minelab X-Terra 30

Garrett Pro Pointer

And pleanty of patience!!

Posted by: bob.oz
Date: August 30, 2017 10:07AM
Hey Emmett, I thought it was your post about the ears breaking and you fixing it, But I found the one I was referring to posted by morelic55.
I've gone through three 5x10 HF DD elliptical coils and one 9" stock for broke ears, the ellip's were warranty and the stock that came with my X30 was 11 years old when the ears broke on it. I've since bought another stock MF 9" coil.....it came with a XT505, for the same price as a new coil, but will try to fix the old one this winter.
>>>OK I found the post, but I see no mention of the MEK part I was thinking about, But this is the post, it was by Morelic55 about 3 years ago, he is still active on the forum as of this year. I would PM him for more info.
http://www.findmall.com/read.php?55,2098605,2098605#msg-2098605

Posted by: WoodsWalker
Date: August 31, 2017 04:10PM
I wish the ears on the 9inch coils were like the ears on my 6inch dd hf coil. Nice and thick!
HH All!

Emmett:usaflag:

"When in doubt, dig it out!!!

Live in Massachusetts

Minelab X-Terra 705 w/
9inch CC 7.5 and 3kHz
6inch DD 18.75kHz

Minelab X-Terra 70
Minelab X-Terra 30

Garrett Pro Pointer

And pleanty of patience!!

Posted by: pplinker
Date: August 31, 2017 07:55PM
Thanks for the replies. My DH has a plastic welder and he said he would be able to fix it. Said it is ABS plastic and he is going to use plastic from a black bucket. With this rain that is forecasted it will give him something to do in the dry. Will post picture when it is done.

Greetings and good luck from West Virginia

XP Dius, Minelab 704 with 3khz 9 inch coil, 18 KHZ 5 inch coil, 5 inch coiltek coil, 18 kHz 5 x 9 coil. Original Garrot pinpointer, Garrot pinpointer pro and M16 pinpointer

1831 large cent, 1838 seated silver dime, 1901 barber dime, 1864 two-cent piece,1886,1900 and 1904 Indian head pennies, 3 silver Washington quarters, 3 Roosevelt dimes. 30 or 40 wheats, 10K black hills gold ring, 1974 10K gold class ring, 1870 Artillery button, 1940 and 1944 Mercury dime, ?? three cent piece

I am a 61 year old wife and mother with two daughters and three granddaughters. I'm thankful for all God's blessings.

Posted by: Old Longhair
Date: August 31, 2017 09:30PM
Make sure that he is heat conscious relative to the electronic inside the coil.
It's more than just copper windings in there. There is part of the Smart Coil all digital system in there, and it's right under where he has to weld.

Ingham County, Michigan

Posted by: Dan-Pa.
Date: September 16, 2017 01:24PM
If you use glue or contact cement...read the contents for metallic ingredients which could cause problems...

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login