Welcome! Log In Register
Re: Xterra 705 rip off
Posted by: fantomv
Date: July 05, 2009 04:00AM
use them for coins like all us good coiners do they rock

Posted by: Furious T
Date: July 05, 2009 05:28AM
There is a bloke here in Australia who wrote many articles in our national magazine on coin, treasure and gold hunting about how good the X Terra 70 was for finding gold (small) in Victoria's Golden Triangle, where the ground is highly mineralised....showed lots of photos of the gold he said he had found. Assuming he was telling the truth, then the X Terra 70 is very good at finding gold (not deep). The coil he mainly used was the 10"x5" 18.75kHz DD coil. He doesn't write articles about Minelab machines anymore because he works for a company which sells Whites detectors, but hopefully we can believe something of what he said, and if so, the X Terra 70 should be pretty good at finding small gold.

Simply put...
Posted by: Dan-Pa.
Date: July 05, 2009 09:12AM
Lets face it if I lived in an area with gold nuggetts instead of coal nuggets I would buy a unit made especially for that part of hobby..Sure mult-faceted units do a good job , but for an excellent job just do yourself a favor and buy a gold nugget unit made for that purpose...

as posted in our FAQFAQ.......
Posted by: Digger
Date: July 05, 2009 09:32AM
some posts from the man of whom you speak..... http://www.findmall.com/read.php?55,496336,496336#msg-496336

You'll never know for sure......unless you dig it! HH "Digger"

After 40+ years of detecting, and having owned dozens of different detectors, I've come to the conclusion that maintaining success in the field is largely dependent on three things..... choice of site, acquiring a proper skill set for the detector and the detector itself..... in that order. Research, practice and persistence. There are no substitutes.

Date: July 05, 2009 04:48PM
That's him, Digger. I think I read all his articles on the X Terra 70, and was inspired by what he read to buy one. I haven't regretted it for a minute. I think that for the price it is the best "all-round" machine I've ever had. I should hasten to add that I haven't used it for prospecting, but I'm confident that should I have the desire or need to do so that it would perform adequately. Hot rocks were placed there by the detecting gods to test all of us. They are a nuisance to not only gold hunters in the goldfields, but hunters on beaches (in Australia, anyway) and other places where one might find himself detecting. I dont hunt for "raw" gold, but I've certainly found my fair share of hot rocks. Like bottle caps, pulltabs etc., they are there to try us, it is up to the detectorist to cope, overcome and triumph. Sapper.

The gold found by "That Person" was indeed the truth and at the time the X-70 was the detector of his choice...............
Posted by: nugget71
Date: July 05, 2009 10:41PM
But you know what, @#$%& happens and people move on when @#$%& gets up their nose. "That Person" still talks highly of the X-70 and yes does sell "Whites Detectors" but that is another story. Like any detector if you master it you can get over the small humps. Same ol same ol...................

:tesoro: Diablo 2 x 2 with stock coil (20 kHz)
:fisher: Fisher gold bug M-Scope with small and large coil (Current) 19 kHz
:tesoro: Lobo supertraq with stock coil (Current) 17.8 kHz
:garrett: AT Pro with stock coil (Current) :garrett: Pro pointer + 5x8" coil + water proof headphones. 15 kHz
:minelab: Minelab X-Terra 70 (Stock concentric 7.5khz 9" coil, Elliptical 10.5" 18.75khz DD coil and 6" DD 18.75khz coil) (retired)
:minelab: Minelab SD 2200 with stock 11 DD coil (retired)
:garrett: Garrett Ace 250 (retired)
:minelab: Minelab Explorer II (retired)
:minelab: Minelab Explorer (retired)
:minelab: Minelab GP Extreme (retired)
Banned from the X-terra forums for giving an opinion, be careful what you say people, you have been warned!

Posted by: Rivermarine1
Date: July 10, 2009 06:18PM
http://www.findmall.com/read.php?55,1000702

This link is from this forum showing what the units can find. Check it out

Posted by: Willee
Date: July 10, 2009 06:42PM
I must agree with some of the other posters here.
If you want to hunt for gold then buy a gold machine.
Dont expect a machine set up in coin mode to find small gold flakes.

The X-Tera was never intended to be a gold prospecting tool.
How can you rationally expect it to be?
Minelab sells detectors costing over $4000 for just that type of use.
Do you really think they would sell a detector for less than 1/4 that price if it worked as well?
Then they would be ripping off the people that bought the $4000 gold detectors.

Perhaps I should complain to Wal-Mart that the $35 Bounty Hunter detector they sold me wont detect a flake of gold 12" under black sand.
Boy ... was I ripped off!

Willee

Date: July 11, 2009 02:07AM
I read an article about 12 months or so ago, written by an Aussie who went to Alaska to detect for gold...it was an organised trip...his expensive gold machine went on the blink, and what did he use? His X Terra 70...and did quite well too. (It wasn't the Aussie mentioned above). Got lumps, not flakes.

Posted by: bubber
Date: July 11, 2009 11:18AM
Thanks for letting me give my opinion without hassling me about it, and thanks for all the good suggestions on how to use the detector for gold hunting, since it IS advertised and sold as a gold hunting machine.

Posted by: nvchris
Date: July 12, 2009 12:16AM
Bubbler did you find any nuggets with the 16000?

FuriousT

The story is titled "Alaskan Gold" in the march 2008 issue of Australian Gold Gem & Treasure.

Your post is errant, no need to make stuff up when your memory lapses. The PI was not on the blink, It's just that at Moore creek the mineralization is super low and the area if loaded with iron trash so a VLF

can best a PI in this rare situation.

The size of the gold Wiluna found suggests any coin machine could have worked.

Date: July 12, 2009 01:45AM
Yoy're right nvchris, I should have gone back and checked before I posted.

Date: July 12, 2009 02:04AM
then I would have seen that Wiluna went to Ganes Creek, not Moore Creek as your post suggests. He also states that most of the other detectorists were using MXTs, and by the end of the week they were sold on the X Terra.

Posted by: bubber
Date: July 12, 2009 03:00PM
My original question was how to prospect with the XT70, when it goes nuts on hot rocks. That's all I ask, not about coin hunting, just nugget hunting. There are many posts about people easily finding gold, but no one mentions how they get by the hot rocks.,Where I go in WA and No. CA. I can't do anything for the continual beeping on hot rocks., Thanks for everyone trying to help, I appreciate all the posts.

Actually, you started this string by saying.....
Posted by: Digger
Date: July 12, 2009 05:59PM
you thought that the X-Terra 705 is a rip off. And your original post did not ask how to prospect with the X-70. You initially told us you had a 705 and it wouldn't do anything for "hot rocks". I responded to your initial post with a link to a video by Kevin Hoagland of Minelab which explains how to use Prospecting mode with Tracking GB offset to neutralize those hot rocks on the 705. Then you told us you had the X-70 and not the 705. At that point I offered a link to several posts made by a gentelman who had good success with his X-70 in the Victorian Golden Triangle. A place he refers to as the worst ground in the world. Regardless, now that we know which machine you actually have and what your question is, maybe someone who uses the X-Terra 70 will come forward and provide some assistance. If you don't, I guess you said it best when you stated "it goes with the territory". HH Randy

You'll never know for sure......unless you dig it! HH "Digger"

After 40+ years of detecting, and having owned dozens of different detectors, I've come to the conclusion that maintaining success in the field is largely dependent on three things..... choice of site, acquiring a proper skill set for the detector and the detector itself..... in that order. Research, practice and persistence. There are no substitutes.

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login