Findmall.com

Vintage Detecting Forum

Welcome! Log In Register
It's Alive and Kick'in
Posted by: Sven
Date: January 04, 2017 05:10AM
Recently picked up a Compass X-100 in a combo deal. None of these detectors were tested by the seller, so claimed. Took a gamble that at least the X-100 worked. That's the main unit I bought the combo for.

Lets say the White's 6000 Di series 3, had no battery holder (C-cell). Wired up a AA cell holder, turned the detector on and it powered up. Works fine.

The Garrett CX II, took for ever to get the battery hatch cover off. popped in some batteries, bingo--powered up and works just fine.

Then it was the X-100's turn. Popped in batteries, turned on the power switch, not a peep. Oh-oh, I thought...
Popped off the top and bottom from each other and checked the power connector hooked up to the battery, not a thing.
Took a look in the battery compartment, spotted the problem, one of the battery tabs was bend inwards. No contact.
bent the tab back out, checked the connector, ya-hoo, power. Buttoned the detector back up. It works. But, had some scratchiness out of two pots, couldn't get a steady threshold out of the tuner pot unless it was in auto.

Figured I maybe just cleaning the pots would be a quick fix. Or may find the need to replace the pots, something I really didn't want to do since the circuit board is encased in some wax material. The pots were encased in the wax and didn't see any of the usual access breather holes to spray cleaner into them. After scraping the wax off, found each one had a very small hole. Was able to inject De-Oxit cleaner into them, turn the pots back and forth, then left them over night.

Tonight, I started re-assembling, gosh darn the tone control trimpot fell apart. Knew I didn't have anything like them around. Checked by box of RV6 mini precision pots, found the exact value. And by soldering it directly to the circuit board, it fit perfectly, enough clearance to fit thru the original hole on the top of the case. Now I have a real pot for tone control instead of that cheap junky trimpot.

After finishing re-assembly, popped the batteries back in. Crossed my fingers and turned on the power switch..............
powered right up, no more scratchiness, let's say, everything now works as it should.

Deteknix Quest Pro, Teknetics Mark 1
Self built Mirage Pi's --- they work great in trashy areas!!

Re: It's Alive and Kick'in
Posted by: Mega
Date: January 04, 2017 05:56AM
Sven,your a real clever person when it comes too electronics for sure,glad they all work well,whats the game plan for these 3 machines ?? keep the X-100 and sell the other machines or keeping them all.As these new 'trio' work well will you be selling the custom built IDX Pro.Looking forward to some of your other 'Sven' custom modification in 2017 :thumbup:

Deus and Nexus MP-Beauty and the Beast.

Main machines that i use for specific site use T2-DFX-IDX Pro-Nexus SE-TDI Pro Pulse-Mirage Pulse-Crossbow Pulse-Fisher TW-5 twin box-Arado 120b-Trident11 Extreme-and a few others.

Posted by: Sven
Date: January 04, 2017 05:29PM
May keep the X-100, at least for now. Haven't experienced hunting with one yet. I like the Sharp/Norm Filter Response control, switches the coil to a narrower DD like knife blade detection zone or a normal width concentric detection zone.

Sold the IDX with Mr. Bills mods, sold really fast. The Teknetics Mark 1 takes its place. Already modified it. Bought the chest camera case mount harness told you about.
Which works great. Almost seems it was made specially for the Mark 1.

As for the Garrett CX II, the C-cell battery pack make it heavy, hooking up 3- 9 volt batteries, make it feel very light weight. Swings pretty easy.
Reminds me of a metered Gti1500 without Imaging. May keep it as a loaner.

The 6000/Di, will look to see if I can squeeze a bit more performance out of it...just to increase its value.

Deteknix Quest Pro, Teknetics Mark 1
Self built Mirage Pi's --- they work great in trashy areas!!

Posted by: trojdor
Date: January 04, 2017 05:44PM
Sven
As for the Garrett CX II, the C-cell battery pack make it heavy, hooking up 3- 9 volt batteries, make it feel very light weight. Swings pretty easy.
Reminds me of a metered Gti1500 without Imaging. May keep it as a loaner..

Sven,
Nice work. :thumbup:
I replaced the C-cells in my CX-III with AA's in plastic C-spacers...much, much lighter, and trivially easy to do.
Works great.

:)
mike

Sven, the stock coil is nothing special-get the 16," it's a depth monster, works in nails and is extremely light. [sharp position]N/T
Posted by: vlad
Date: January 06, 2017 09:35PM

(This message does not contain any text.)

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login