Findmall.com

Vintage Detecting Forum

Welcome! Log In Register
Rare Compass "77 Auto Legend" on the bay right now...N/T
Posted by: rlchntr
Date: September 05, 2017 05:53PM

(This message does not contain any text.)

Gary - Central Virginia
Recovering & preserving history for future generations
White's:
Blue & Gray Pro
6000/DI Pro SL
XL Pro
4900 DL Max
MXT All Pro
Garrett:
AT Pro
AT Gold
C&G Technology Inc:
VLF Wildcat
Lots of coils
Pro-pointer AT
Gray Ghost headphones

Info. about the Auto-legend
Posted by: Tom_in_CA
Date: September 06, 2017 09:31AM
They may be "rare" in that very few were manufactured. But in-so-far as ability, they never measured up to the original 77b or 77b auto.

The idea was to make a variable adjust speed to the auto-tune function. As opposed to the original 77b auto which just had 2 speeds (fast and slow). But the "legend" did not have an effective "off". So that even the slowest setting speed was still prone to have the over-shoot rebound effect. You had to keep a slight speed clip on the swing, lest you get that annoying rebound. Contrast to the slow (or near-off) position of the original 77b, where it didn't have that.

There is more to the story that I heard . Read from the people who were at Compass at that time, who posted the background evolution of the design decisions. Suffice it to say: This should not be confused with the original 77b or 77b auto. It might be collectible from a #'s made standpoint. But from a performance standpoint, I found it to be very disappointing.

Contrary to making it sound like this type unit is hard to find
Posted by: vlad
Date: September 07, 2017 04:16AM
Keith Wills has the 100 kHz by Compass, & other makes, for sale--and his, work (and various sized loops. :thumbup: ) You have one not working....call him
(you want a BFO which seem to be collectible now-he can get one working--but there is no market for them as hunters; years ago Charles Garrett loaded up his BFO
inventory in trailers & hauled them to the city dump :shrug: )

Re: Rare Compass "77 Auto Legend" on the bay right now...
Posted by: Joe(TX)
Date: September 09, 2017 01:39PM
I would not recommend using it as your "Go To" detector. I was very disappointed when I had mine!

Re: Rare Compass "77 Auto Legend" on the bay right now...
Posted by: Tom_in_CA
Date: September 10, 2017 06:20PM
Joe(TX)
I would not recommend using it as your "Go To" detector. I was very disappointed when I had mine!

Ditto. The original 77b and 77b auto were better.

And for anyone who tracks down the original 77b to use for ghost-town type hunting: Hipmount it (or "S-handle" configure it) in such a way that the course and fine-tune knobs are accessible reach from your swing arm. Ie.: so you can have one finger to be able to reach and control those knobs, with the same arm you are swinging with. Otherwise, that old U-handle configuration made it difficult to both grip, swing, AND operate the tune knobs with one hand. You had to have your 2nd hand on the box, as your swing hand swung. Quite annoying. But I did mine on an S-handle (like cannibalize parts from an old 1260 or 1210, etc...). And then it becomes a one-handed operation.

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login