Findmall.com

Vintage Detecting Forum

Welcome! Log In Register
Any info on the Whites-Teknetics chip court trial..
Posted by: Dan-Pa.
Date: October 15, 2017 09:56AM
Anyone have any info on the above..Understand Teknrtics won and 89 eagle was deeper and 90 did not have the chip because of this trial...

Re: Any info on the Whites-Teknetics chip court trial..
Posted by: Dave J.
Date: October 15, 2017 10:32AM
Dan-Pa.
Anyone have any info on the above..Understand Teknrtics won and 89 eagle was deeper and 90 did not have the chip because of this trial...

It wasn't about a particular chip, it was about a circuit topology. The answer to your question is probably here: http://www.findmall.com/read.php?56,2397594

Posted by: Flintstone
Date: October 15, 2017 02:00PM
I had a 89 Eagle and sold it, then I missed it and got a Eagle 90. I always though the 89 was better. Now I know the rest of the story. I wish I had the 89 back. Can you get the chip put in the 90?

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 10/15/2017 02:02PM by Flintstone.

Date: October 15, 2017 07:43PM
I beg to differ 89 had the chip and 90 did not as it lost the rights to use it as Teknetics was the winner in a court trial...as far as a tab-gold ring and nickle each making a different sound was probably done with smoke and mirrors kind of thing or it would have a patent and today all detectors would have the technology..Seems logical don't you think.....doubt if 90 could have a chip added......to complete my post.....

Posted by: Dave J.
Date: October 15, 2017 10:09PM
https://www.leagle.com/decision/1984745677p2d681735

It wasn't about "the chip", it was about the circuit. Neither Payne or White's has any IP rights to any "chips".

Date: October 16, 2017 09:21AM
Not being a techie this was explained to me by a knowledgeable Whites dealer that's been around forever. Whether a circuit is run by a resistor, CHIP or thig a ma jig have no knowledge but I do know 90 version was without a chip that the 89 had...whatever happened to the tab, gold ring and nickle that sounded different ?

Posted by: Tom_in_CA
Date: October 16, 2017 10:47AM
Dan-Pa.
...whatever happened to the tab, gold ring and nickle that sounded different ?

Dan, my post and link (that Dave linked) was about an earlier court case. The link I'd given in my post, was from 1981-ish. I do not know of any Tek vs Whites legal issues later in 1989 to '90.

As for your question of "tab, gold ring, and nickel" sounding different: There is no "smoke and mirrors" here. ANY TID machine of any brand can do this. You can easily find a tab, a gold ring, and a nickel that .... when waved in front of a tone-ID machine, will each give a DIFFERENT sound . Since they hit at different places on the TID scale.

But that will do you nearly no good at all in field conditions. Ie.: you're not going to dig gold rings till your arms fall off, while effortlessly leaving junk and tabs and nickels behind. In other words, you will STILL dig a lot of junk. And you will STILL miss some gold rings, when electing to pass or dig various TID's.

The only thing that 3 objects at a table demonstration prove, is that *just* those 3 objects read at *just* those 3 sounds. It doesn't mean that all junk (tabs) therefore read/sound exactly like that. And that all gold rings (gold) read/sound exactly like that, etc....

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 10/16/2017 10:51AM by Tom_in_CA.

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login