Findmall.com

Teknetics Forum

Welcome! Log In Register
Anybody still using an Omega 8500?
Posted by: thumperjones
Date: March 29, 2017 08:19AM
I've had an Omega for a few years and love it. One of my all time favorite detectors. Had a couple, a Version 5 and most recently a Version 4 which I actually like better.

I remember being very excited when the 8500 came out, but I couldn't afford one. But now the pricing is much more reasonable at $399 shipped.

The 8500 never really seemed to be very popular? Are any of you using them?

And if so, do you feel it is an upgrade, downgrade, or compliment to your Omega 8000?

Is the depth and separation fairly comparable?

Honestly I'd never use some of the new features of the 8500, but there are a few that I would really enjoy having, particularly the backlight. If I didn't give up any depth or separation by switching to the 8500, I would be happy with the switch I believe.

Thanks for any insight.

Re: Anybody still using an Omega 8500?
Posted by: jim tn
Date: March 29, 2017 04:58PM
I had one for a while shortly after they first came out. It falsed to much for the spots I hunt and finally gave up on it and just today received a new Omega 8000. The 8500, however, was deeper then my previous two 8000's. I dug several wheats and I H's out of a trashy spot that were all in the 6-7" depth range using the 5" coil. I keep hoping to hear some reports that the later versions of the 8500 did less falsing. Maybe someone will chime in that has recently acquired one. HH jim tn

Posted by: D&P-OR
Date: March 29, 2017 05:42PM
Although I never owned a 8500, the reports I heard was that it was something of a disappointment.---Haven't heard any different since.-----I was going to get one till I heard the negative side about it.----I think Monte was going to get one but decided against it also.------I would steer clear of the 8500 and opt for the 8000 if it were me.--------Del

Date: March 29, 2017 06:17PM
jim tn
I had one for a while shortly after they first came out. It falsed to much for the spots I hunt and finally gave up on it and just today received a new Omega 8000. The 8500, however, was deeper then my previous two 8000's. I dug several wheats and I H's out of a trashy spot that were all in the 6-7" depth range using the 5" coil. I keep hoping to hear some reports that the later versions of the 8500 did less falsing. Maybe someone will chime in that has recently acquired one. HH jim tn

Thanks for the review. I appreciate that. I've never had much trouble with my 8000 falsing, id surely be bummed out if I "upgraded" to a 8500 and it falsed that bad.

Date: March 29, 2017 06:19PM
D&P-OR
Although I never owned a 8500, the reports I heard was that it was something of a disappointment.---Haven't heard any different since.-----I was going to get one till I heard the negative side about it.----I think Monte was going to get one but decided against it also.------I would steer clear of the 8500 and opt for the 8000 if it were me.--------Del

Thanks Del.

I had kind of got the impression that it didn't go over that well. But then again, I always felt that the original 8000 was very underrated. I'd like to try out the 8500, but not until I hear from someone that likes theirs.

Date: March 29, 2017 06:32PM
I forget the mode, D? I think, that was deeper then any of the 8000's I had. Mike Hillis may still have one as well as Jackpine. HH jim tn

Posted by: Fabtech
Date: March 29, 2017 10:55PM
I had one when they first came out. The audio is very clipped and I just couldn't get into it. Seemed like it was falsing allot in the discrimination modes. I did find that the all metal mode was very nice though. First day out with it at a hunted to death site I found a barber dime and a v nickel. Too bad the audio sucks in discrim

Date: March 30, 2017 12:01AM
Fabtech
I had one when they first came out. The audio is very clipped and I just couldn't get into it. Seemed like it was falsing allot in the discrimination modes. I did find that the all metal mode was very nice though. First day out with it at a hunted to death site I found a barber dime and a v nickel. Too bad the audio sucks in discrim

Well that's certainly depressing to hear! Because I surely wouldn't buy one to use in AM mode. :(

So it sounds like it's a more "digitalized" sounding Omega. I don't like the sound of that..

Thanks for the info, I appreciate it! :thumbup:

Posted by: digsgti
Date: March 30, 2017 12:56PM
Sent my V4 Omega in for repair and got back an Omega 8500. I think the 8500 is more EMI resistant but has worse audio than my old V4 8000. I feel the tones are too modulated unless you use d5 tones which turns modulation off. I haven't really tried it out enough yet to know how I really feel about it. Im hoping the all metal mode can pull some deep relics out. My 8000 was a bit of a closet queen due to EMI, so for me the 8500 will most likely be an improvement.

Posted by: RichW
Date: March 30, 2017 01:39PM
That''s what I keep hearing. That's why I keep hanging on to my 8000 I've had since 09. They are great machines.

Posted by: Cal_Cobra
Date: April 03, 2017 12:04PM
I too was anxiously awaiting the 8500 when it was being released. It just so happened that the Red Racer was also coming out at about the same time, so I decided to wait a bit and see user reports on both units before buying. I really was routing for the 8500 as I liked my Omega 8K, but felt it was lacking on depth and it was a bit sensitive to EMI. Also the new features on the 8500 were appealing, but when lackluster reports started pouring in on the 8500 and glowing reports starting coming in on the Red Racer, it was an easy choice. It's a bummer because my wife has a ETP, and we have 4 coils for it, which as I understand it could be shared between the 8500 and the ETP.

Hoping that FT will finally be releasing a new flagship detector soon :thumbup:

Date: April 03, 2017 06:23PM
Brian, I just picked up a new version 5 8000 and no emi issues so far and while it doesn't appear to be any deeper then the version 4 and version 5 8000's I previously had, like those, this one is a coin magnet. Maybe I had a dud, but the Red Racer I had didn't have the depth nor loves coins like the Omega does. Hh jim tn

Posted by: Jackpine Savage
Date: April 12, 2017 04:58AM
The best way I could find to hunt older sites with the 8500 was with the 8" concentric coil in 2 tone D1 or D2 (when useable). Hunt slow and let the machine pick out each individual hit. The original 8000 I had was very good at picking out and correctly ID'ing closely spaced targets like a spill of coins in a very small area. The 8500 can still do this and even non-ferrous close to rusty nails. Again, you have to go slow. Not 100% sure about target averaging the real close co-mingled stuff but it does a better than average job in my subjective opinion used like this. Kinda reminds me of the ID Edge when used that way. I never really saw any benefit to the FA mode when used like I just described. However it was enlightening to compare the 2 modes once you hit a deeper non-ferrous targets near iron.

Tom

Save the Concentrics

Minelab Advantage, G2, Omega 8500, X-Terra 705, F75 DST and a Fisher ID Edge

Posted by: Bigtom123
Date: April 12, 2017 08:10PM
I had bought one of the first ones out,and it false don everything.Coulda been a bad machine,cause I had 3 coils with it,all falsed...I now have a version 4 omegga 8000, just received it in the mail today,I hope it's better.I had high hopes for the 8500 seeming I never owned a omegga,,now I have high hopes for this 8000.. time wil tell.

Posted by: Tom Slick
Date: April 14, 2017 11:53AM
I got an 8500 just after they were released. The audio was clipped so good targets sounded just like the false signals. I was constantly checking every beep only to find that 95% of them were just false signals. We parted company shortly after.

Arizona
42 years detecting, ex White's dealer.
Current Detectors:
Nokta Impact
Makro Racer 2
Makro Gold Racer
White's DFX x 3
Tesoro Tiger Shark
Minelab Sovereign GT
Fisher F19

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login