Findmall.com

Teknetics Forum

Welcome! Log In Register
Alpha - decent beginners detector?
Posted by: CoinShooter-Craig
Date: April 21, 2017 03:51PM
Hi there. My daughter wants a metal detector, and I don't want to spend a lot of money on one right now. Is the Alpha a decent beginners detector and does it get decent depth for the buck? I couldn't find much information on it in this forum (I went back a dozen pages or so and gave up).

Thanks!

Craig

Re: Alpha - decent beginners detector?
Date: April 21, 2017 06:55PM
I did find a post on the Alpha 20+ pages back and someone said if money isn't a issue they'd spend the extra $100 and go for the Delta. I'm a single income family of four - so that said - money is an issue. I need to keep it around $150. I was also thinking of a used Tesoro Compadre, but they seem to sell as fast as they come up in the classifieds here.

Posted by: dfmike
Date: April 21, 2017 07:41PM
I'd spend the extra dough on a Delta for sure. It might not have quite the depth of the Gamma or Omega but from everything I have read it seems quite close and since the frequency is the same, it shares the same coil options as the big brothers.. It's got a simple interface, just enough options to make it a serious detector and a good display. I'm thinking of buying one as a backup for my F5 or when I want to lend a detector to friends. I'm pretty sure you could find it for about 150$ if you look carefully. It's often on special somewhere online. Just make sure you buy the model that has the screw on coil connector. Some big stores only sell the push in type and coils are much harder to find in this configuration.

Active detectors: Fisher F19 LTD, Nokta Fors CoRe, Makro pointer and way too many coils.
Previous detectors: Bounty Hunter Discovery, Fisher F44, Omega 8000 V6, Minelab X-Terra 705, Fisher F5

Posted by: REVIER
Date: April 21, 2017 07:43PM
CoinShooter-Craig
I did find a post on the Alpha 20+ pages back and someone said if money isn't a issue they'd spend the extra $100 and go for the Delta. I'm a single income family of four - so that said - money is an issue. I need to keep it around $150. I was also thinking of a used Tesoro Compadre, but they seem to sell as fast as they come up in the classifieds here.

A new Compadre is about $10 more, with a lifetime warranty and most ship free.
Who knows, maybe if you ask a dealer nice it might be $150.
Unless you are not in this country in which case everything is more.

The Alpha has a screen but not a whole lot of great information on it like other screen units so almost a beep and dig unit...like the Compadre, which has a language you can learn so not exactly beep and dig.
I know a new hunter that is a big boy and struggling with his Alpha, many people started with a a Compadre and loved it, many more have an arsenal of higher end detectors and still use a Compadre...I am one of them.
There is a reason they are hard to find used unless you are quick.

"What if doing the Hokey Pokey really IS what it's all about?”
F70, F2, Compadre, Mojave, Judge2 - 2017....Clad, 13 silver targets including a freaking Barber quarter, a beautiful walker and two V nickels...
Plus other cool stuff.

Date: April 21, 2017 09:14PM
Thanks to both of you for the info. It's much appreciated!

Date: April 21, 2017 09:17PM
REVIER
CoinShooter-Craig

The Alpha has a screen but not a whole lot of great information on it like other screen units so almost a beep and dig unit...like the Compadre, which has a language you can learn so not exactly beep and dig.
I know a new hunter that is a big boy and struggling with his Alpha, many people started with a a Compadre and loved it, many more have an arsenal of higher end detectors and still use a Compadre...I am one of them.

If you know someone who will sell a new Compadre for $150 - shoot me a PM of they are. It's definitely my 1st choice for a detector for my daughter. Thanks!

Posted by: Jackpine Savage
Date: April 22, 2017 03:33AM
Craig

The Delta is now $199.00 shipped on Teknetics website with a dealer coupon code.
Delta

Click on show all dealers to get the code.

Tom

Save the Concentrics

Minelab Advantage, G2, Omega 8500, X-Terra 705, F75 DST and a Fisher ID Edge

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 04/22/2017 03:37AM by Jackpine Savage.

Date: April 22, 2017 05:40AM
CoinShooter-Craig
REVIER
CoinShooter-Craig

If you know someone who will sell a new Compadre for $150 - shoot me a PM of they are. It's definitely my 1st choice for a detector for my daughter. Thanks!

Just call any sponsor or dealer...call them like on the phone.
They all advertise the thing new, with a lifetime warranty, at $160.
Tesoro does not like their dealers discounting off of MAP pricing, and there isn't a great markup on these lower end units anyway so not much wiggle room but that doesn't mean some dealer won't take $10 off the price to get a loyal customer.
Even if they can't/won't...it's $10....search your couch cushions, look in some Coinstar return slots, if you happen to be near some soccer fields go search around the perimeters of the fields where people stand, sit and watch the games.
I hunted a soccer complex once with many of these, cherry picked mostly just the high tones and came away with about $70 in about 5 hunts once.

The extra $10 can be gathered up fairly easily with a little effort...and worth it.

F70, F2, Compadre, Mojave, Judge2 - 2017....Clad, 13 silver targets including a freaking Barber quarter, a beautiful walker and two V nickels...
Plus other cool stuff.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 04/22/2017 05:45AM by REVIER.

Date: April 22, 2017 11:50AM
Jackpine Savage
Craig

The Delta is now $199.00 shipped on Teknetics website with a dealer coupon code.
Delta

Click on show all dealers to get the code.

Tom

Thanks for the info Tom. It's between the Delta and the Compadre, but since it's for my daughter, I do admit that I'm leaning towards the Compadre for it's simplicity yet effectiveness at finding good items.I have owned both Tesoro and Teknetics detectors in the past and have liked each of them and they are both good companies, so I don't think either choice would be a bad choice.

Date: April 22, 2017 11:51AM
REVIER
Just call any sponsor or dealer...call them like on the phone.
They all advertise the thing new, with a lifetime warranty, at $160.
Tesoro does not like their dealers discounting off of MAP pricing, and there isn't a great markup on these lower end units anyway so not much wiggle room but that doesn't mean some dealer won't take $10 off the price to get a loyal customer.
Even if they can't/won't...it's $10....search your couch cushions, look in some Coinstar return slots, if you happen to be near some soccer fields go search around the perimeters of the fields where people stand, sit and watch the games.
I hunted a soccer complex once with many of these, cherry picked mostly just the high tones and came away with about $70 in about 5 hunts once.

The extra $10 can be gathered up fairly easily with a little effort...and worth it.

You make a good point!

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 04/22/2017 11:53AM by CoinShooter-Craig.

Posted by: iqwozpoom
Date: April 22, 2017 01:20PM
I would probably vote for the compadre but if you might want to check out the digitek or the new teknetic eurotek rebrand. I think it's the minuteman? One thing about the compadre she won't grow out of it and it always make a great backup!

Date: April 22, 2017 07:01PM
The new Fisher 11 is in the ballpark but it might be similar to the Alpha, or a little more advanced.
Need to compare them.
Both are cousin companies under the First Texas umbrella so there might some crossing over going on possibly or just rebranding.
Still, using the Compadre for years I know how well it works and how much fun I have when I use it so I still say that one.

Plus other cool stuff.

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login