Welcome! Log In Register
Re: Bounty Hunter Platinum
Posted by: jst2kool
Date: December 21, 2010 07:10PM
Thanks for the good info Dave.

Posted by: Reddog777
Date: December 22, 2010 06:55PM
How do the Platinum perform on the beach--- wet sand ?

Posted by: Reddog777
Date: December 22, 2010 07:35PM
Hi Dave, I have been considering this model for a while now and just out of curiousity, why haven't Bounty Hunter put their name on this model. I didn't see it anywhere unless I over-looked and if i did, I aplogize.

Posted by: vegas49
Date: December 30, 2010 10:28AM
Reddog777
How do the Platinum perform on the beach--- wet sand ?

It is quiet and deep and to my surprise it works good even in the wet sand at and in the edge of surf. I found an old cell phone burried about a foot deep in several inches of water at Dana Pt. kiddie beach in So Cal. HH Tim

Posted by: BH505Man
Date: October 08, 2013 03:46AM
Good question!!! Has your detector been tuned for each of the other coils you have? I don`t know specifically about your detector, but Lupe, (a service department tech representative at First Texas) told me that the Bounty Hunter Pioneer 505 should be tuned to get optimum performance from a particular search coil.
Another point to consider is that each coil has it's specific purpose.
The 4" coil can't be beat for getting into small areas that the larger coils can't. It also enables you to search closer to chain link fences, fence posts and other metal objects than the larger coils and it can't be beat for searching trashy areas and is superior in target separation (especially when you have multiple targets close together) it also can't be beat for its` pinpointing accuracy.
On the other hand the 11" DD coil is great for its` ability to penetrate highly mineralized ground and seek out targets, it helps in reducing false signals. Because of its` size, it also enables you to search a larger area in less time then the smaller 8"coil.
The 10" magnum coil also covers a larger area in less time the the 8" coil.
The larger coils also will go deeper for targets larger than coins.

Posted by: Katail
Date: September 22, 2016 02:08PM
1st off I must admit, up front, that I'm new to the sport & ask that you take that into consideration if I say or ask something.. obvious.
I will receive my new Bounty Hunter Platinum Monday 9-26-2016. I realize all before me have posted from 3 to over 10 years ago! I joined to learn all I could to get the most out of my new activity.
But what I've read above makes me think that possibly I've purchased a new.. old technology machine. The comprehensive subject of the coils & how specific they are to the Platinum is worrisome. I'm hoping that's all been sorted out by now. Also, I thought I read that the Platinum was not able to function in wet sand or shallow shore line water. It would be great if that was no longer the case.
Bottom line, I hope some members are still using the Bounty Hunter Platinum & this forum is the right place for me to learn faster & ask for help.
Thanks for reading, hope someone using the Platinum is still out there.

Posted by: MI-AuAg
Date: September 22, 2016 02:49PM
Hello Katail,

Not to worry. Although I own several different, and much more expensive detectors, I still consider the BH Platinum one of the best values in detectors that I have.

As to available coils, the Platinum is compatible with Fisher F5 coils. THE ONE THING YOU MUST REMEMBER, THERE ARE TWO STYLES OF CONNECTORS FOR THE F5, PUSH ON, AND SCREW ON. THE PLATINUM USES THE PUSH ON STYLE. When looking for an additional coil, the retailers note which style it is.

As to being able to "function" in wet sand. It will work fine in wet sand in fresh water. Wet salt water sand can make it act erratic. It's common with most single frequency VLF detectors, NOT just the Platinum. The salt in the ocean water and wet sand is highly conductive. The detectors react to it as a target, only it's all around in the wet sand/water it makes them very erratic. Some can be used in those conditions by lowering the sensitivity. They will work fine in the dry sand of saltwater beaches or Fresh water/wet sand.

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login