Findmall.com

Bounty Hunter Forum

Welcome! Log In Register
Re: Titan 9000
Posted by: Ed in SoDak
Date: March 02, 2014 01:24AM
Hi Nick,

Interesting comments! Especially about a 165 upper limit on numeric ID. I wish there was a way to track internal software revisions on the Time Ranger like we see on the T2 and other First Texas detectors. I take the credit (or blame) when many years ago I narrowed down the many minor or internal TR revisions to just four basic flavors; V1 through V4. Most of these upgrades were made with little to no fanfare or publicity. In the case of the radical dropping of maximum ID that you report, they can be dramatic in how one machine might perform when compared to another. Does your manual take this change into account?

My V4 unit still reads 299 for a maximum ID, so it must be older than yours. It's "build date" sticker in the battery box says December, 2012. Unless you simply haven't encountered anything higher than 165 in your own hunts, which seems unlikely. In my own hunting, this is essentially a "wrap-around" effect of large or rusty objects from the bottom of the iron range to the top. Rusted, decomposing tin cans and aluminum pop cans have a 299 ID. Large silver coins come in quite a bit below this. Maybe they lopped this "trash" signal off the top and reduced the top of the numeric range to something better related to a good, dig-worthy target.

If your manual doesn't address the reduced ID range as the new norm, it's possible your machine is a bit out of whack. The shifting of other target segments seems to say that's a possibility. On mine tabs read as tabs for the most part, considering the wide variety of them and their respective age and years in the ground. But yes, it pays to note those IDs that are simply "different" than the ones you've been seeing when digging tabs. I found a small platinum ring on a beach this way. It was close to a pulltab, but just enough below and different to dig instead of ignore.

I'm following the recent news about the buried hoard of uncirculated gold coins found in Kalifornia, and all the various gubmints stepping up to claim their share. To a detector, these would read as merely a large rusty iron object. A detector would probably not signal any gold content at all!

If I dig one of those "299" signals here, yeah, that's what I get: a flat, corroded rusty can and dirt. Some people get all the luck, but having the IRS and whoever else breathing down my neck wanting to take it from me, well, I can skip all that!

-Ed

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 03/02/2014 01:41AM by Ed in SoDak.

Date: March 02, 2014 02:15AM
I dug out my V4 manual and there's a listing of typical numeric IDs. The list tops out at 165, but the Time Ranger's actual range is larger than this list shows. That must be where the confusion arises. The manual for my V2 machine doesn't even have a numeric cheat sheet, back then we were expected to make our own list, which we did! ;)

-Ed

Posted by: chizm
Date: November 29, 2016 03:07AM
Hi all new here, nice forum,
this post is really intended for Ed in SoDak, because I just bought a newer version of the titan 9000 pro, and need some input as the manual doesn't really have a good way using the MD
if you have a link or have a sec, could you give me some tips on this MD, waiting for it in the mail, bought this and a MPX digital, but this has a lot of functions and not sure when it is best to use each function, complete greenhorn!
Thanks
will be searching forum for more info
thanks again
cHz

Date: February 13, 2017 08:49PM
Hi cHz,

Sorry for the long delay in replying. That post back in 2014 was my last visit here for awhile! I hope you've learned some things since your post back in late November. It's still too frozen here to get out, but not to learn!

I have a page on the Time Ranger. The "V4" unit I own and tested is similar enough to yours. I make many comparisons to the older version. There's some older user/tester reviews online. A lot of the old info still applies, but your model has some more advanced features as well.

Here's a link to my Time Ranger page. It's a start anyway! Report back if you have any questions and tell us what you've been doing with your Titan, and I hope you're still around to see my late reply!

http://www.whiteriverprep.com/vintage/timeranger/timeranger.html

-Ed

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login