Findmall.com

Bounty Hunter Forum

Welcome! Log In Register
Re: Land Ranger Pro demo
Posted by: detectingMO
Date: August 11, 2014 11:43AM
Hightone
I didn't see enough to make me want it over my F5 as well. In the school yard hunt video, I watched as coins registered 5-6 ", even the running depth bar maxed out, and the coin was maybe 2", 3" tops" down. Of course most detectors aren't super accurate on depth. The one where the coin was on the surface would have put my F5 into overload alarm, yet the LRP said 3 bars down.

This has nothing to do with the great video detectingMO did. He did an awesome job of explaining all the features. And the LRP is as good a machine as any newer model from FTP. Take the time to learn it's strengths and weaknesses and this machine is just another power house in the 6"-8" range.

yeah, I think some of that is because the grass was 2-4" tall. Hard to tell on video. It was soaked too. But yeah its not quite as accurate as some others. I don't pay a lot of attention to the depth reading. Probably should if not in VCO tone. The high tone on the Omega weakens with depth (F5 too I'm guessing) so I never really bothered. Of all the machines I've used the Dave J machines Omega/G2 have been by far the more accurate on ID. This one feels a bit looser on ID like an F5/F4 combo or a delta.

It did seem more sensitive to a false a max sense due to wet grass, iron, or bumping coil. this is pretty common just slightly more sensitive to it than the thicker cabled coils in the greek series machines. once I used 9 sens it didn't even false and was so quiet i was unsure it was on. it was a very sparse target area besides a few iron grunts. I followed up later with the huge 15" WOT coil on my 705 and didn't find a single target that the LRP missed.

Max in ground depth:
preset C, J, A
6 on a dime, 8 on a quarter

disc 2,3,4
7 on dime, 9 on a quarter (2" less than air test)

all metal

9 on a dime, 11 on a quarter (same as air test)

All metal is significantly deeper in ground vs disc. on air test about the same. In ground All metal will ID just about same depth as disc accurately then gets bouncy another inch and the last inch is tone only no ID.

Cancelled as advertiser. Hadn't paid in a while.

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 08/11/2014 11:53AM by detectingMO.

Posted by: Hightone
Date: August 11, 2014 04:57PM
I'll have to investigate that idea on the high tone reducing depth. I always use 4 tones on the F5. For my style of hunting (coins and jewelry up to 8") both the F2 and F5 produce to my liking. The LRP would also, from what I see in your video's. The LRP is just proof that Dave Johnson, John Gardiner and Jorge
Anton Saad have a great "process" in their designs and what's under the hood and intend on making all FTP detectors experience that process at different levels.

Coin and Jewelry hunter.

BH Land Ranger Pro
BH Quick Draw Pro
Deteknix XPointer

Have owned different Garretts,
Fishers, Tesoros, Whites and MineLab
in the past 12 years.

Posted by: NIBBLER
Date: August 11, 2014 06:44PM
I've had the LRP now for 2 weeks.Will it take over as my primary?No!!But saying that ,it seems I have been grabbing it more than my main unit.I hunt in the woods and the type of ground it is ,there is nothing past the 6 or 7 inch mark.Which is easy for the LRP.Light as a feather and the price is very good.These other compnaies better get off the stick cause first texas is setting the standard.And no, I ain't brand loyal.I just see what they are doing and then the rest of the pack!!

Date: August 11, 2014 07:26PM
I'm not brand loyal. The first texas machines feel and look like toys compared to whites/minelab. But they are light and good performers.

Date: August 12, 2014 09:11AM
That's the difference between analog and digital. Whites Coinmaster GT and Minelabs XTerra are their digital competitors. Lighter and cheaper built as well.

FTP targets the general public who see the hobby as a hobby. Fitting budgets from $200-$1000. There are lots of them. Whites, Minelab and even Garrett, has a target that leads into the high professional treasure hunter. $2500+ machines. Not as many of them.

Ruggedness and depth can still be inexpensive. Look at Tesoro.

Coin and Jewelry hunter.

BH Land Ranger Pro
BH Quick Draw Pro
Deteknix XPointer

in the past 12 years.

Posted by: marcomo
Date: August 13, 2014 01:08AM
Land Ranger Pro air testing with a Mercury dime in disc 4 at full 10 sensitivity, I'm getting an iffy but potentially diggable audio signal at 10" About half high tone and the rest low tone and nulls. At 9 1/2" it's a definite dig signal, solid two way and almost all high tone. No EMI.

Haven't used it in the ground yet, but I would expect a 15-25% loss of depth in my soil compared to the air. Assuming this detector isn't an "air queen," I think that's excellent depth for a detector at this price point.

Bounty Hunter is the economy line of the FT family and this detector does have a lower build quality feel to me. I don't mind the plug-in coil, it goes in solid and snug. But the coil wire is thin gauge like a cheap Chinese made detector. That's the biggest negative I see so far.

Seems like a well thought out and versatile design loaded with features and a lot of bang for the buck.

Date: August 13, 2014 08:36AM
Some more thoughts on depth and nickels:

I did another airtest and nickels id is solid 35-36 until close to end of detection.

Buried at 4" still solid but lowers to 30-32 on id.

Buried at 7" bounces all over the place with occational hit in 30's but it still hitting. More on depth in a bit

I tested under one brick and mostly solid but starts to get jumpy

I tested under 2 bricks and reads as iron but hits easily.

My soil is not very mineralized but what little mineralization I have is iron. -92 or -93 ground id on a V3i with 1% mineralization readout

When I did the video it just has rained a few inches. Grass was wet and top inch or two of soil wet. If a machine is sensitive to iron mineralizion the rain seems to multiply the issue. Depth or coin on edge will magnify the issue as well.

So all this being said, I'm afraid in mineralized areas or coins deeper or on edge, for the nickel range, is going to be jumpy on this machine. Now the coin will detect at great lengths and the depth doesn't drop any in ground in all metal or pinpoint. Pinpoint is super deep on this machine and all metal is deep.

at 6-6.5" a dime will id correctly 1 out of 4 sweeps at 7 sens. 2 out of 4 at 8 sens. 3 out of 4 at 9 sens. 4 for 4 at 10 sens. (2 year in ground) additional 2" detection jumpy not correct ID

A 8" quarter fresh buried with id correctly 1 out of 4 sweeps at sens 9 and 2 out of 4 as sens 10. additional 2" detection jumpy not correct ID

in all metal correct ID is about the same depth and consistency as disc but detection is much further in ground. Add 4" to accurate detection depth and 2" to jumpy depth. pinpoint yet another inch added. very nice

What I think was done on this machine was sacrifice tighter id at depth for additional detection depth(maybe threshold bump behind the scenes?). Sinse the frequency is low it makes sense that the lower conductors lose accuracy much quicker at depth and interference/ground issues.

I'm going to play around with gb/tones/modes/vbreak/disc/etc to see if there is a "tighter" id setup for the jewelry low conductor hunters out there.

Re: How is it on small
Posted by: Rebel1
Date: August 13, 2014 10:35PM
Gold? Have you tested it yet?

Re: How is it on small
Date: August 14, 2014 08:14AM
Rebel1
Gold? Have you tested it yet?

No, but I imagine it's fine in air but jumpy in ground from the smaller gold. I'll try to test. The all metal and pinpoint on this machine(in ground) is deeper than the Omega.

Posted by: Rebel1
Date: August 14, 2014 09:25AM
Jumpy ID is ok as long as it gets a good solid tone signal. I don't rely on the ID much, more on the sound.

I have a question to consider..........
Date: August 15, 2014 04:54PM
Do you think the Quick Draw Pro may get better depth and faster response (to the TDI) since that little single 9v battery is not trying to run so many processes?

Coin and Jewelry hunter.

BH Land Ranger Pro
BH Quick Draw Pro
Deteknix XPointer

in the past 12 years.

Re: I have a question to consider..........
Date: August 15, 2014 08:36PM
Hightone
Do you think the Quick Draw Pro may get better depth and faster response (to the TDI) since that little single 9v battery is not trying to run so many processes?

no, pretty sure battery has no link processing. they probaby operate on exact same power draw.

Date: August 16, 2014 10:13AM
Happy to report manual gb set in all metal does indeed carry over to disc 2/3/4 you just have to give it time to go into search in all metal after adjustment before changing modes. So you can run Gb offset if you like. however no gb/disc/tone/vbreak tweaks have helped deeper nickels. I can live with that. Will have to test more tab gold targets to get a feel for them. raining all weekend. blah

Re: I have a question to consider..........
Date: August 16, 2014 04:39PM
I figured, they are a processor, just like any other processor. If I load my processor (computer cpu) with extra processes, it tends to slow down, say, scrolling. Tesoro's seem deeper because most have no screen that even needs a processor. AM is deeper due to not putting voltage towards the disc process.

Just a thought.

Coin and Jewelry hunter.

BH Land Ranger Pro
BH Quick Draw Pro
Deteknix XPointer

in the past 12 years.

Posted by: supertraq
Date: April 20, 2016 12:34AM
detectingMO
I'm not brand loyal. The first texas machines feel and look like toys compared to whites/minelab. But they are light and good performers.
Whites perform like toys compared to 1st Texas machine. Whites are to complicated with mediocre performance.
Fisher cz3d is far from toyish and still kicks ass.

Fisher cz 20 since 1993,,,,Fisher cz 6a,,,Tek gamma 6000,,,,Tesoro compadre,,,,Tek Eurotek pro x 2,,,Tek omega 8000,Fisher gold bug se 29er,,Fisher F75 se. Formerly waynebo,,
People look at the world by the way they themselves act...Honest peole think most people are honest...Dishonest people think most peole are dishonest.

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login