Findmall.com

Garrett Infinium Forum Classroom

Welcome! Log In Register
Anybody use The Audio Duration On The Infinium To help Discriminate Targets?:huh:
Posted by: John-Edmonton
Date: July 09, 2012 08:42PM
You can use the audio duration to disc out large targets. A typical pop can will give an audio sound lasting 5 seconds, Beginning with the second HIGH-LOW or LOW-High. Now compare that to a coin sized object, which gives about a second of audio duration, again on that second beep.

Bobby pins are easy to also ID. Listen carefully for either a double beep or nulling when swinging over a target. If it nulls, try running the coil over the target from different directions to try and get tt to double beep. If it doesn't dig it, for it might be a chain. If it does double beep, chances are it's a bobby pin or nail. If you are still not sure, dig it anyway.....as it costs you nothing.

Re: Anybody use The Audio Duration On The Infinium To help Discriminate Targets?:huh:
Posted by: Ken~Digs
Date: July 13, 2012 11:52PM
On a 5 wk prospecting trip to Mojave & Az. (1st trip with Finny) i was Detecting a gulch & hit a very Deep (turned out) high/low , sounding like a Possible Nugget to me. Turned out to be part of a zipper - from what transpired after that my Gal said we should call Sheriffs & They came out and started Investigating what started looking like a poss. homicide, do Not know how that ever turned out - He never called me after securing area. Before they arrived I hit 2 other Spots of Very Long Low/Hi drawn out Huge targets (Figured Steel & was correct) so Big thought maybe firearms. Sheriff & I both Dug these 2 spots and turned up 1 old school Oil Can & 1 Oil Filter , in the Ground Alot longer than the primary spot of interest to them. I have found basically the Larger the Target the longer the Tone as well in Duration.

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 07/14/2012 12:02AM by Ken~Digs.

Re: Anybody use The Audio Duration On The Infinium To help Discriminate Targets?:huh:
Posted by: ivanll
Date: July 15, 2012 02:38AM
I,m not much for discriminating when using the Infinium LS, even when a loud "LS" lingering sound is heard in the headphones.
Instead I use the sounds to indicate conductivity, size and depth.
This works for me, but there seems to be many opinions on how to use an Infinium.

ivanll

Posted by: calibil
Date: July 16, 2012 12:15AM
Man Ivanll thats a lot of stuff, where's the kitchen sink?

Posted by: au79
Date: July 16, 2012 07:03AM
I'm aware of the audio duration. It always tells me there is an overload to the coil caused by a large/large shallow target. To further help identify the target lifting the coil and rechecking the target again can help with ID. Lifting the coil to reduce the duration can change the tone. That low/high tone with a long drag on the echo can change to a high/low tone with no drag when the coil is lifted - don't forget to use reverse disc to confirm your guess.

That looks like you could open a thrift shop ivanll - ha! That's all cool stuff! Here's a photo of my last trip to the beach - two week haul - lots of audio duration in these finds.

Ray Giroux

{ If you dig it out pack it back in }

Infinium LS
Garrett AT Gold
Vibra-probe 580 (PI technology, waterproof, bulletproof - one 9v batt last forever)
Lesche trowel ---

If you think you are beaten, you are,
If you think you dare not, you don't.
If you like to win, but you think you can't,
It is almost certain you won't.

Posted by: Black Davy
Date: August 17, 2013 07:51PM
Absolutely, my last trip to the beach was very successful
Using audio discrimination and iron disc I had vary little trash
And lots of good targets.

Take what you can, Give up nothing!
Black Davy Condmach
Garrett Infinium LS
Garrett AT Gold
Garrett GTAx 550
Tesoro Tiger Shark
Compass Yukon 94-IB
Black Davy Dock Dredge Rake
Black Davy Hookah Diving System

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login