Findmall.com

Minelab E-TRAC Forum

Welcome! Log In Register
Lemon juice on silver coins
Posted by: jdeiana
Date: May 23, 2010 12:18PM
From my reading - this seems to be a safe way to clean silver. soak your coin in 1 part water distilled 1 part lemon juice for 12-24 hours. soak toothpick in lemon juice for same amount of time - clean coin with toothpick after lemon juice bath, wipe with soft cloth - then let sit in distilled water for another 24hours to get acids off of coin - anyone try this?

Re: Lemon juice on silver coins
Posted by: captn_se
Date: May 23, 2010 12:56PM
Seems like too much work to clean common silver coins. I use either a baking soda paste(baking soda and a little water) and gently rub your coin using just your index fingers and thumbs. For tougher oxidation, I use an electrolysis unit. I zap the coin for no more than 20-30 seconds(time is dependent on the amount of current of your unit and how badly oxidized your coin is). After that, I gently clean with the baking soda method I described above. In 10-15 minutes, all the silver I found for the day is cleaned. Then it's time to make a post. :yo:

For Key date and semi-key date coins, I just run some water on them to take off the loose dirt.

For copper coinage, I like to heat up a little bit of hydrogen peroxide til it gets to the boiling point, and drop your copper in and watch it fiz.....does a decent job on heavily caked on dirt/grime without ruining the patina of the copper.

HH,
CAPTN SE
Dan

CAPTN_SE (Dan)
Detector: Minelab SE
Coils: SE Pro Coil, 6x8 SEF, Coiltek Platypus Elliptical, Expl. 1050, Sunray 8"
Headphones: Grey Ghost Ultimates
Probe: Sunray X-1 Target Probe
:minelab: :usaflag: :minelab: :usaflag: :minelab: :usaflag:

Posted by: CT Todd
Date: May 23, 2010 04:57PM
I agree too much.Common silver coins I use Never Dull (comes in a blue can) at the hardware store.For anything old or key date I do nothing at all.

Dig Colonial or go Home! www.cttodd.com

Started in 97, Fav Coin 1774 2 Reales, Oldest Coin 1695 William III Silver Shilling

When I go detecting I always do so with permission of the land owner.

Posted by: jdeiana
Date: May 23, 2010 06:44PM
you just soak the coin in water and lemon juice. not all that labor intensive - i am trying it on my 1858 half. i will post before and after pic this week. thanks for the posts.

Posted by: hershey1
Date: May 24, 2010 04:56PM
If you can read 1858 let someone that knows about coins look at it before doing anything to it. That's an old half dollar. JMHO. HH :minelab:

Posted by: JimGilmore
Date: June 25, 2011 08:21PM
what do you do to coins that are near flat and encrusted /totally redish ??

Posted by: reltolbert
Date: June 25, 2011 11:08PM
For all common coins I use a rock tumbler using small fish aquarium colored rock. Fill the tumbler about 1/3 full
with the rock add a small cup of common coins with 2 tablespoons of dish soap. Add water about a 1/2 inch above the rock/
coin levels and tumble for 12-18 hours.
This cleans a lot of coins at one time and does a good job.

Posted by: Mick in Dubbo
Date: June 25, 2011 11:20PM
For silver coins, I just cut a slit for each coin, into a lemon. Place the coin in there overnight, pull it out in the morning, rubbing it with my fingers while under running water. I use a tooth bush at this point if the stain is persistent. Does a beautiful job.
Mick Evans.

Posted by: GimmieThe Loot
Date: June 27, 2011 12:04PM
I've just used my girlfriend's silver jewelry polish. Takes about 1 minute per coin to rub off the tarnish. She is a chemist and says its safe for old coins. For indians i do the boiling hydrogen peroxide bath and it usually cleans them up nice, although darkens them a bit.

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login