Findmall.com

Minelab E-TRAC Forum

Welcome! Log In Register
How can you tell if something is really silver?
Posted by: DJB50156
Date: August 29, 2010 12:55AM
Hello,

I found this pendant today and am wondering if it's silver. It came in as 12-44. It came out of the ground just like a silver coin. Just a little dirt on it.
There are no silver markings or numbers on it. I don't think it's plated because there are no flaked off areas. How can one tell if it could be silver?
Attached is a couple of pics of it. Front and back.
Thanks for reading. Let me know what you think.
Dan.

Dan - IL
Detector: Minelab E-Trac
Probe: Garrett pro-pointer

Re: How can you tell if something is really silver?
Posted by: FooserPaul
Date: August 29, 2010 07:22AM
I am GUESS that is not silver by the tone of the metal... some of the texture...

Paul

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 08/29/2010 07:22AM by FooserPaul.

Posted by: Goes4ever
Date: August 29, 2010 07:30AM
I agree with Paul. I do not think it is silver, I think it was just lost when fairly new and the coating never flaked off yet

Posted by: terrywl
Date: August 29, 2010 08:36AM
I third that opinion. There is an acid test, a jeweler or pawn shop might be able to test it for you.

Posted by: nw1886
Date: August 29, 2010 10:14AM
One test is to hit it with a magnet and the other is to file an inconspicuous spot to see if another color is underneath. Bouncing it your hand and comparing it's "thunk" to a piece of known silver would be good too.

An acid kit (w/stone) can be had for $25 or less and a 16x loupe for $15. (Nothing beats this type of testing yet.) JSP is the most consistent brand of acid I've found and their 18k rocks for .925 testing. (Turns a .925 smear electric blue....fast.)

Looks like plate to me too.

Posted by: DJB50156
Date: August 29, 2010 11:28PM
Yep, it's plated. I filed a small spot on one edge and it's copper colored underneath. I have a few others that look like silver but are probably plated also.
Thanks all.
Dan.

Dan - IL
Detector: Minelab E-Trac
Probe: Garrett pro-pointer

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login