Findmall.com

Minelab E-TRAC Forum

Welcome! Log In Register
Found A - 1916 Brass Tire Pressure Gauge
Posted by: E-TRAC-OHIO
Date: November 09, 2010 09:11PM
1I went to an old house today and found this cool old tire pressure gauge and a 1920 wheat cent.
The tire gauge was about 6" down - came in as a solid Fe 12 - Co 46 - I thought it was and old brass shotgun shell when I dug it up.

This gauge is made of nickel plated brass and is about 3" long.
It's stamped -
SCHRADERS UNIVERSAL TIRE GAUGE
Manufactured By A. Schrader & Son Inc.
Brooklyn N.Y. U.S.A. --- Pat. July 6, 1909 --- March 28,1916

The second photo here is one I found on the internet - it shows the gauge extended and the original case.
I'm going to try the gauge on a tire tomorrow and see if it works.

HH --- Mark

Minelab E-Trac * Coils 5" - 4.5" x 7" - Stealth X-8 * Ultimate Gray Ghost Headphones * Garrett Pro Pointers * Lesche Digger

Oldest Coin .-------------1724 - K.G. Half Penny
Oldest Silver Coin -----1783 - Spanish Half Reale

Favorite Find
2011 ----1837 - Capped Bust Half Dime
2012 ----1829 - Capped Bust Dime
2013 ----1877 - Seated Liberty Quarter

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 11/09/2010 09:33PM by E-TRAC-OHIO.

Re: Found A - 1916 Brass Tire Pressure Gauge
Posted by: Rich (Utah)
Date: November 09, 2010 10:07PM
That is totally cool. Great find.

Rich

:minelab: etrac powered by RNB :thumbup:

Posted by: 3RINGER
Date: November 09, 2010 10:13PM
Check and see if it has a "D" on the back....1916 D's are worth more :rofl:

Sorry I couldn't resist. Interesting find...thanks for the pic's.

HH

Posted by: Mike K (Ohio)
Date: November 09, 2010 10:33PM
Very Cool Find :)

Mike K (Ohio)

Posted by: NebTrac
Date: November 09, 2010 11:06PM
3RINGER
Check and see if it has a "D" on the back....1916 D's are worth more :rofl:

Sorry I couldn't resist. Interesting find...thanks for the pic's.

HH

:rofl::rofl:

Very nice find Mark. I've found a couple of Schrader valve stem caps. They are plated and come in like an IH or wheat. At first you think your digging a screwdriver handle (the kind where the different flats/philips fit inside the handle) But they usually say Schrader on 'em.

Thanks for the pictures

NebTrac

Posted by: E-TRAC-OHIO
Date: November 10, 2010 05:33AM
I just looked - this tire gauge is also stamped - "CC" - I think it could have been made in Carson City. :wacko:

Minelab E-Trac * Coils 5" - 4.5" x 7" - Stealth X-8 * Ultimate Gray Ghost Headphones * Garrett Pro Pointers * Lesche Digger

Oldest Coin .-------------1724 - K.G. Half Penny
Oldest Silver Coin -----1783 - Spanish Half Reale

Favorite Find
2011 ----1837 - Capped Bust Half Dime
2012 ----1829 - Capped Bust Dime
2013 ----1877 - Seated Liberty Quarter

Posted by: EZrider
Date: November 10, 2010 06:11AM
Schrader valves are whats used on all tire rims today. Thats a really neat find! Stuff like that even trumps silver in my book.

Minelab E-Trac, 6" Excelerator, 12x15 SEF, Garrett Pro Pointer, Fisher CZ-21

My Youtube channel remenning

Posted by: niterider_58
Date: November 10, 2010 06:21AM
That's a cool find :thumbup:

MINELAB EXPLORER XS EX-2 AND E-TRAC 15x12 10X12 6X8 AND PRO COIL..

Posted by: christopher-ohio
Date: November 10, 2010 01:01PM
I found one of those too several years ago in Cleveland Heights in my old house yard...I believe it's a tire pressure guage for model T/A's?

Posted by: Goes4ever
Date: November 10, 2010 05:44PM
cool relic, I have dug two of those myself! Mine is dated 1909 I believe

Posted by: LabradorBob
Date: November 10, 2010 06:26PM
Very nice,Bet you were pumped up over that one!

Sorry couldn't resist!

LabradorBob

Missouri

Remember to keep those coil covers clean!
Go to the Maps and mapping forum here:
http://www.findmall.com/list.php?69

Posted by: RickIowa2009
Date: November 10, 2010 06:33PM
Thats a cool find

Posted by: Cliff KS
Date: November 11, 2010 12:30AM
I found one of those tire gauges at a rural school house site that was last used in the early 1940's (building/foundation long gone now). Part of the site had since been built over by a small rural fire department building, mostly in front of where the school was and over part of the previous building site. The outhouse foundations on the backside were still there and I was told that the playground was further up the hill beyond those. That part is now an overgrazed horse lot and is the part where I hunted. The only other finds I made there were 3 wheaties and a lead bullet ( about 30 or 32 caliber) and a couple of reeds that appeared to be out of a musical instrument called a harmonium ( I believe that spelling is correct). Most items were located between/around the outhouse foundations, almost nothing was found in the playground area.

I found the bullet before I found the tire gauge and when I first pulled the gauge out of the hole it had a lot of dirt on it and when I saw it was brass and had a rim on the end, my first thought was " what kind of big axx cartridge is this?" but then when the dirt came off the other end I saw that it was flat and realized that it was not a piece of ammo. Then I gingerly cleaned the dirt out of the end that I had originally thought was a primer (I say gingerly because I still wasn't sure what I had in my hands) and saw the recessed end of the gauge. Still I did not think that is was a tire gauge until I got it cleaned up enough that I could read the lettering on the side with a magifying glass ( my gauge is fairly corroded). It was kind of cool to find it, because I had never seen an antique tire gauge before and frankly had never even thought about what tire gauges might have looked like when the automobile was a fairly new invention.

That's one of the neat things about our hobby -- you make finds that are unknown objects until you look into them a little farther and by doing so you learn some history you were never aware of before. Kind of like the time a found a beat-up metal plate that had once been attached by the manufacturer to the chassis of a 1928 Velie automobile, but that is another story...

Posted by: OhioCoinHunter
Date: November 11, 2010 04:31PM
That is a great find. I like that it has writing on it...that it says what it is and that it has a date on it. It also cleaned up very nicely.

My YouTube Channel: http://www.youtube.com/user/OhioCoinHunter

:minelab: Minelab E-trac with Sunray X-1 Probe, 8x6 SEF Butterfly Coil, 10x12 SEF Butterfly Coil, 15x12 SEF Butterfly Coil,
Gray Ghost Headphones, Lesche Digger, Lesche Ground Shark Digger, Predator Little Eagle Digger

Posted by: SoCalDigging
Date: November 11, 2010 08:33PM
Very cool find! :thumbup:

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login