Findmall.com

Minelab E-TRAC Forum

Welcome! Log In Register
Etrac and Depth
Posted by: D&P-OR
Date: January 15, 2011 02:02AM
The Etrac has been out & in use for some time now.-------Couple of questions----(1) What is the deepest single coin you have recovered using the Etrac?----(2) In your opinion, what is the reason(s) causing that coin to be at (get to) that depth?-----------Del

Re: Etrac and Depth
Posted by: Southwind
Date: January 15, 2011 05:36AM
I'd say roughly 12" on my deepest. It's really hard to be exact because because at that depth it is really hard to leave a target in the hole to measure.

In my case the coins are so deep from floods. Our city park sits along side the Arkansas River which used to flood on average every 30-40 years. If you've ever been in a flood you know it deposits a lot of mud. In our park it has deposited from 3-6" on each flooding. In some areas coins are as deep as 24". It is a perfect place to put a detectors depth to the test, and that is exactly what I do.

Detectors used: CTX 3030, XP Deus, E-Trac, DFX, AT Pro, ADS 4
Past years: V3i, Explorer SE Pro, F75 LTD, MXT, X-Terra 70, XLT, Eagle Spectrum, Sovereign GT, Omega 8000, Silver uMax, Compadre 5.7 & 8", ADS 7, Freedom 1, 2 & 3, Mayan, Inca, Coinmaster
The real treasure is in the hunt...

Posted by: NebTrac
Date: January 15, 2011 08:02AM
Del,

Probably that park in Comstock has some of the deepest coins I've ever found with the E-Trac. Some of the Indians and wheats are 9" or so. I did pull 3 Mercs. and 1 war nickel out of there. I think all the Mercs are black. So the ground stays pretty well saturated there. Remember that little drain creek that was there? I found all 3 mercs. where the old bandstand was, or thereabouts. I don't know what your experience was in Nebraska, but I've found silver just under the surface and down to that 9" or so mark. Most older coins seem to be in the 4-6" range though.

NebTrac

Posted by: 101numlock
Date: January 15, 2011 08:12AM
they go very deep at the beach, i found a large cent at 0ver 14 inches. My hunting buddy did not believe me so i had to burry it again just to prove it to him. deepest coin i have found in soil was about 10 inches and it was a large cent also. IT was a one way signal though i just knew it maxed out the depth bar and was barely audible so i dug it.

Minelab Etrac
Minelab Excalibur II
Tesoro Eldorado

If depth is your only concern...
Posted by: jbow
Date: January 15, 2011 09:47AM
you must hunt in a place with little to no mineralization. If you are only concerned with depth I would suggest an F75 LTD.... on the other hand if you have mineralization and you have to deal with that and you have masked targets... then either the Sovereign or the E-TRAC will serve you well. The E-TRAC is as deep as anything and the Sovereign is really impressive... in minerals.

the multifrequency detectors punch through minerals better than any single frequency VLF detector, IMO... having said that, I will also have to say that the V3 and V3i, in my ground and experience, will match the E-TRAC/Sovereign at giving a GOOD signal and a correct TID on a deep (10") target. The Sovereign may actually give you the best audio signal. The E-TRAC will give you more info but I really don't think one will exceed the other in depth at most sites... Personally, i prefer the E-TRAC because I cannot tell a dime from a quarter from a bronze penny with the Sovereign... and I have to swing it a little slower.

But... if you are only concerned with depth and you have neutral ground... then the LTD or even the Omega will do fine.

to me the E-TRAC and the V3i are the best two detectors made. Followed by many others that are a slight step under them and in certain conditions may be better... every site is different and i've found that for some reason I can clean a site out with any machine, go back with another machine and make more finds... unless there are no minerals (or EMI) involved. The E-TRAC is good in Iron and so is the Sov.. but in small iron and shallow targets I sometimes prefer a Tesoro because the Tejon, for instance, will pretty well ignore small iron and hit on larger iron relics... where the Minelabs, usually will null on and ignore larger iron.

So, depth isn't very important to me. If I lived somewhere else it might be... but rare is the place with deep targets around here.

Julien

Julien in Cartersville, Georgia...

SovereignGT
Tejon
T2
E-Trac
V-3
F75 LTD
Omega-8000
Compadre

I have CDO. It is like OCD but the letters are in order like they should be...

Posted by: silverman
Date: January 15, 2011 01:29PM
My deepest coin was a 1905o Barber Quarter at a depth of 12". I was hunting at an old church revival site. I believe the coin was so deep due to a church being put up within 15ft of the location I found it. They must have moves a lot of dirt during the building process. Most of the other coin found from there were in the 6-8" range. (Oddly enough, I found a 1905 Barber dime a few feet from where I found the Quarter nearly a year later.) Not sure how much weather plays a role in it either.

Posted by: utahshovelhead
Date: January 15, 2011 01:43PM
I wonder how you would measure this without a tape measure. Personally while I use the SEF 12x10 in this case. My Minelab Digger was all the way down plus abuout two inches below the surface. I dug out a silver dime down there and that is fairly consistent with the real deep items I dig with that coil. But with my 14 inch coil in the sand I have gotten much deeper I dont have a tape to measure that with but I have to use a shovel to dig items out at around the 18 inch range.

Posted by: jbow
Date: January 15, 2011 02:05PM
I've hunted sites with civil war buttons and bullets at 3" and pulltabs at 6"... you just never know. I've hunted sites with buttons laying ontop of the ground on one side of the site and 8" deep on the other side.... and I am convinced that if you could get to the moon with a detector you would be able to find a zinc penny.

J

Julien in Cartersville, Georgia...

SovereignGT
Tejon
T2
E-Trac
V-3
F75 LTD
Omega-8000
Compadre

I have CDO. It is like OCD but the letters are in order like they should be...

Posted by: Jack Flynn
Date: January 15, 2011 06:06PM
Found a good many over the last year at 11 to 12 inches. Got a nickel that was in the 13 inch range, I couldn't believe it myself but it was very loamy soil.

Posted by: Idaho PRB
Date: January 15, 2011 08:41PM
jbow
.... and I am convinced that if you could get to the moon with a detector you would be able to find a zinc penny.

J

:rofl: Now, you gotta admit, that is FUNNY! Thanks for the chuckle.

'If it's worth doing wrong, it's worth doing twice."
Minelab E-Trac
Gray Ghost Originals
Pro Coil, 6X8 SEF, SunRay X-5
Garrett Pro Pointer
Ace 250 for the kids and "Just in case"

Posted by: tippyhound
Date: January 15, 2011 11:53PM
I have only had my E-trac for about 4 months and so far have not found any coins over 10 inch's deep, both were Wheat leaf pennies a 1910 D and a 1911 plain. Both were in fairly loss soil with no clay, and with moderate mineralization. Both read loud and clear and the TID was correct for that type of coin. I have found many Silver coins in the 6 to 8 inch range and this seems to be about average for the area I live in.

I'm including a couple pictures of items I found, though not coins they were quite small and at depth's from 5 inch's on a small Silver Frat Charm for a bracelet that measured less then 3/8"x 3/8" and sounded off loud and clear.

The other item was a sliver of a Wheat Leaf Penny that was cut off the corner of a coin by a lawn mower (it is the small sliver next to the penny that had been cut by a lawn mower), this item was 7 inch's deep and a nail head was found in the hole with it, again the target was loud and clear and for it's size I would think it was quite a feat for the E-Trac to pick it up so loud and clear at that depth.

I don't know if any of this gives you some idea about the E-Trac's ability to find coins and small items at good depth's but the fact that these signals were so load and clear tells me the E-Trac wasn't even close to depth's it is capable of finding coins at.

Rick "IL"

Posted by: E-TRAC-OHIO
Date: January 16, 2011 05:56AM
I dug a 1959 Dime at a state park last year - this dime showed up as a perfect FE 12 - CO 44-45 from the first swing over it - till I dug it up - it was down true 9" to 10" down in solid dirt next to a tennis court.

Found a 1800's brass padlock that's measures 2 1/2" in diameter down a true 17" on a sand beach in Maine.
Dug a small crater to find this lock - a 17" deep hole in sand looks a lot deeper and a lot bigger around - then your would think !

But like many people would say - the majority of my coins are found in the 3" to 6" range.

HH --- Mark

Minelab E-Trac * Coils 5" - 4.5" x 7" - Stealth X-8 * Ultimate Gray Ghost Headphones * Garrett Pro Pointers * Lesche Digger

Oldest Coin .-------------1724 - K.G. Half Penny
Oldest Silver Coin -----1783 - Spanish Half Reale

Favorite Find
2011 ----1837 - Capped Bust Half Dime
2012 ----1829 - Capped Bust Dime
2013 ----1877 - Seated Liberty Quarter

Posted by: M-scope
Date: January 16, 2011 10:28AM
Couldnt get any decent depth with mine.Notta-Zip-None!!!..Managed a couple of indians/wheats around the 8" mark max... Shallow silver was not a problem... Passed right over a 10" large cent and quite a few silvers that my Fisher 1265 and CZ6 easily picked right up...I knew something was not right!?.Even bought a 10x12 SEF to try to help.....Other problems started to arise, Battery drain, volume levels,muted tones, no change from manual to auto sens and so-on...Sent it in..Got it back recently with a new PCB and a new touchpad installed..It fires up and beeps but that is about all I can check for now with over 12" of snow on the ground here in the snow-belt of NE Ohio..Hopefully it is up to par where it should be...!?!

FISHER-MINELAB
Garrett Point
Sunray Ears
Ohio

Posted by: bcoop
Date: January 16, 2011 11:39AM
I have dug some deep coins on the beach at around 14 inches at least. On dry land probably 8 to 10 inches at the deepest. Most coins are 4 to 6 inches.

I think it all depends on the type of soil and the location. If a coin is lost in the curtilage of a property that has been active for 100 years then it possibly could be relatively deep. A yard changes from lawn clippings over the years and leaves etc. The ground changes over time with freeze and thaw and wet and dry conditions. I have wondered myself just how deep a coin will sink into the earth, I have been told they will even work themselves to the top of the soil.

BCOOP

Minelab CTX3030
Minelab E-Trac
Minelab Excalibur II 1000
Detector Pro Pulse *
Garrett GTI 2500 *
Garrett Pro Pointer
SunRay Pro Golds
Reilly's Aluminium Travel Scoop
Nuttall Diamond Head
* no longer own

Posted by: banditicey
Date: January 16, 2011 09:50PM
I just measured my hand to two inched past my elbow and it is approximately 17-18 inches.
I was at an old estate that had become a large public park in November and heard a sound I needed to dig.
It was faint and as I dug it became stronger and stronger.
When I reached the large Silver coin in the middle of this deep hole I was amazed and thrilled.
A 1907 Barber Half.

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login