Findmall.com

Minelab E-TRAC Forum

Welcome! Log In Register
E-TRAC Unresponsive For A Few Seconds
Posted by: mapper65
Date: January 05, 2017 03:29PM
Hi guys, as I had mentioned in a previous post my brother and I both bought E-TRACS a little over a week ago. One thing that we both noticed is that occasionally during a day of detecting (maybe twice during the day) the E-TRAC will make a steady "target like" tone for about 2-3 seconds and then it seems kind of unresponsive for a few seconds. By unresponsive I mean it doesn't make any other sounds and it seems like if you were to swipe over something it probably wouldn't show a target ID. The display seems to display the normal screen without any numbers but I'm pretty sure the FE & CO labels show up.. I have to believe that the firmware in these has not changed for a very long time and I know that our E-TRACs were ordered from the US Minelab distribution and re-shipped to us the same day by a dealer. I'm guessing that this must be something that's common but what's happening when it does that?

Mnelab E-TRAC
Minelab Stock Coil
Sunray X-5 Coil
Sunray X-1 Pointer

Minelab X-Terra 705
Coils: 9" Stock (MF), 6" DD (HF), 10.5" DD (MF&HF)
6" Coiltek Coil
Garrett Pro Pointer----Predator Tools Piranah Shovel

Seeing the world a half a step at a time.

Re: E-TRAC Unresponsive For A Few Seconds
Posted by: Dan(NM)
Date: January 05, 2017 04:43PM
Mine does that, it seems to do because I have the threshold tone set as low as possible. I pushed the tone all the way up and it would never seem to do at the higher level. When mine does it, I hit the pinpoint button and it stops the constant tone. Check to see where the threshold tone is set.

Posted by: Mkus
Date: January 05, 2017 04:45PM
Thats very strange I have a 5 year old model made in Ireland
but mines never done that and I bought mine used.
That would irritate me my brother and father just bought brand new Etracs
and thiers never do that?

Posted by: daddyflea
Date: January 06, 2017 12:41PM
I have two Etracs and both mine do it occasionally. Mine comes back on as soon as a good or bad target is hit. I think it has something to do with balancing the ground ever how Minelabs do that.

Minelab Etrac
Mars Pinpointer
Garrett Pro pointer (Carrot Stick)
DetectorPro Rattler Headphones
Coiltek 10X5 & 12X8 Coil
Sun Ray X-8 & X-12
Detech 6" Coil
Etrac Stock 11" Coil
Predator Tools 31c digger
Lesche digger
Lesche Heavyweight Mini Pick

Date: January 06, 2017 02:02PM
daddyflea
I have two Etracs and both mine do it occasionally. Mine comes back on as soon as a good or bad target is hit. I think it has something to do with balancing the ground ever how Minelabs do that.

I'll have to pay closer attention the next time I'm out and see if hitting a target makes it instantly recover. I'm leaning towards nothing being wrong with the detector being that it would seem rather strange for both of the two that we just bought to have the same issue and that firmware has been out for such an extended period of time. I also don't believe that we received consecutive serial numbers. It may just be hitting an odd target and that's the way it's recovering. I do know that when I've noticed it happening that I stopped and picked the coil up off the ground to look at the signal and then didn't immediately continue to detect. At this point I'm very aware of the sounds and target ID's until I can learn to trust my ears like I can with the 705. Maybe if I continue detecting it will pull out of it faster and return to "normal". We'll see what happens.

Date: January 06, 2017 02:32PM
I meant that I personally have two and both mine do it. I have seen several posts like this and I have decided this is normal behavior.

mapper65
daddyflea

I'll have to pay closer attention the next time I'm out and see if hitting a target makes it instantly recover. I'm leaning towards nothing being wrong with the detector being that it would seem rather strange for both of the two that we just bought to have the same issue and that firmware has been out for such an extended period of time. I also don't believe that we received consecutive serial numbers. It may just be hitting an odd target and that's the way it's recovering. I do know that when I've noticed it happening that I stopped and picked the coil up off the ground to look at the signal and then didn't immediately continue to detect. At this point I'm very aware of the sounds and target ID's until I can learn to trust my ears like I can with the 705. Maybe if I continue detecting it will pull out of it faster and return to "normal". We'll see what happens.

Minelab Etrac
Mars Pinpointer
Coiltek 10X5 & 12X8 Coil
Sun Ray X-8 & X-12
Detech 6" Coil
Etrac Stock 11" Coil
Lesche digger

Date: January 06, 2017 02:58PM
daddyflea
I meant that I personally have two and both mine do it. I have seen several posts like this and I have decided this is normal behavior.

Yes, I understood, I'm just going to pay more attention to what seems to happen when that happens and maybe I can shed some light on it for the next guy that thinks this is a problem. I was hoping to get out a little this weekend but that might not happen if the ground freezes.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 01/06/2017 02:59PM by mapper65.

Posted by: Des D
Date: January 07, 2017 12:23PM
That type of issue used occur during developmental stages of E Trac, CTX etc etc.
Very difficult to replicate in the lab.
Some E Trac owners used complain about a very high-pitch threshold tone sound coming and going mysteriously?
The design Team used say: "Must be a particular button push sequence?" as a cause???
But, I have experienced what you described mapper65, a few times.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 01/07/2017 12:24PM by Des D.

Date: January 07, 2017 12:50PM
I have it happen on one of mine every time I hunt. I just dont pay it any attention. As soon as I hit a Target it is gone. Sometimes or often it happens while I am digging. All I do is just reach over and wiggle the machine and it goes away.

If you know these Guys tell them we are ready for Etrac 2. They don't really need to do anything except steal the screen off a couple V3i and stick it on the Etrac. When its raining I don't hunt anyway.

Des D
That type of issue used occur during developmental stages of E Trac, CTX etc etc.
Very difficult to replicate in the lab.
Some E Trac owners used complain about a very high-pitch threshold tone sound coming and going mysteriously?
The design Team used say: "Must be a particular button push sequence?" as a cause???
But, I have experienced what you described mapper65, a few times.

Minelab Etrac
Mars Pinpointer
Coiltek 10X5 & 12X8 Coil
Sun Ray X-8 & X-12
Detech 6" Coil
Etrac Stock 11" Coil
Lesche digger

Posted by: Des D
Date: January 10, 2017 06:01AM
Was out yesterday with two pals one with an E Trac, the other with an Explorer 2 + my own E Trac.
We hunted fairly tightly in a wooded clearing - we al made finds and even surrounded by electric fencing none of us had any issues with what's being discussed here.
We then moved to a larger stubble field and same here - no issues and no electric fencing around that field but were 'active' nearby as the cattle were 'mooing' loudly across the land in another paddock.
Again, we all made finds and one silver came up with the other E Trac.
A perfect day (with the exception of the sudden rain storm that soaked us thru)

NB: I have experienced 'piggy-back' signalling when working in close proximity with other detectors: that is when one detector 'can pick up the transmit signal' from another detector close by and can actually double the depth capability of the "jumped" detector - it has been documented and occurred with Fisher's X-Series detectors i.e. the 1265

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 01/10/2017 06:15AM by Des D.

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login