Findmall.com

Minelab E-TRAC Forum

Welcome! Log In Register
Snagged this today with my new E-trac on the farm where I live after work
Posted by: Tony N (Michigan)
Date: September 22, 2017 06:11PM
It sounded absolutely horrible. It was only about 5 inches down. After digging it I rechecked the hole and there was an iron
nail about 3 inches away but doubt that would skew the sounds so terrible. I almost didn't dig it.
Anyone know why it didn't give that classic chime sound? Maybe it was on edge? Would that do it? It was a high tone but really squirrely sounding.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 09/22/2017 06:11PM by Tony N (Michigan).

Re: Snagged this today with my new E-trac on the farm where I live after work
Posted by: Mkus
Date: September 22, 2017 06:37PM
Soil or more iron in or surrounding the area or the soil itself I dig a lot of iffy signals and I end up with some nice stuff!
Dug a 10k class ring in one of my good fields that gave a broken crappy signal but ended up being gold!
Dug two sterling bracelets one a great 94 one one not so great signal.

Posted by: sd51
Date: September 22, 2017 07:07PM
Tony, I'm don't know how you had the E-TRAC set-up but I run with Trash Density "High" and Ground "Difficult".. With the Trash Density "High", the detector will display the best accepted signal. Congrats on the nice Merc!

Posted by: Dale(Ia)
Date: September 22, 2017 07:44PM
Tony N (Michigan)
It sounded absolutely horrible. It was only about 5 inches down. After digging it I rechecked the hole and there was an iron
nail about 3 inches away but doubt that would skew the sounds so terrible. I almost didn't dig it.
Anyone know why it didn't give that classic chime sound? Maybe it was on edge? Would that do it? It was a high tone but really squirrely sounding.
Ha! That's like many I dig! That's why it was still in the ground, (at least for me, around here) as too many detectorist's will only dig "clean" signals..........
Anyway, nice find, Tony!

Iowa Dale

Posted by: sprchng
Date: September 22, 2017 07:56PM
It sounded squirrely because of the gold ring that was under it.

Posted by: Tony (Michigan)
Date: September 22, 2017 07:57PM
I too hunt in trash density High and Ground Difficult. But my sensitivity was at 30 and +3 with Fast On. Maybe I'm overdoing it with my settings?

Date: September 22, 2017 08:15PM
sprchng
It sounded squirrely because of the gold ring that was under it.
Actually gold coins. LOL

Date: September 22, 2017 08:20PM
Dale(Ia)
Tony N (Michigan)
Ha! That's like many I dig! That's why it was still in the ground, (at least for me, around here) as too many detectorist's will only dig "clean" signals..........
Anyway, nice find, Tony!

Iowa Dale
Since it was only about 5 inches down, I wonder if I have my Etrac overpowering with my settings?

Date: September 22, 2017 08:59PM
Mkus
Soil or more iron in or surrounding the area or the soil itself I dig a lot of iffy signals and I end up with some nice stuff!
Dug a 10k class ring in one of my good fields that gave a broken crappy signal but ended up being gold!
Dug two sterling bracelets one a great 94 one one not so great signal.

Kind of make me wonder now how many super squirrely signals I let go that were good targets. Oh well, that's just more finds for the future, right?

Posted by: Dale(Ia)
Date: September 22, 2017 10:38PM
Tony (Michigan)
I too hunt in trash density High and Ground Difficult. But my sensitivity was at 30 and +3 with Fast On. Maybe I'm overdoing it with my settings?
I don't think so, Tony.........Same settings I use! ( They work for my area )

Iowa Dale

Date: September 23, 2017 04:49AM
Tony, what were the readings on the E-TRAC? Are you running Conduct or Ferrous?

Posted by: Tony N (Michigan)
Date: September 23, 2017 04:54AM
sd51
Tony, what were the readings on the E-TRAC? Are you running Conduct or Ferrous?

I was running sens full 30, +3, Fast On, Ground difficult or whatever it is LOL, Conduct, multi tones.
I can't remember the readings. I was going more by sounds and just checking the fe/co numbers from time to time. They were jumping around.

Date: September 23, 2017 06:58AM
Dale(Ia)
Tony (Michigan)
I don't think so, Tony.........Same settings I use! ( They work for my area )

Iowa Dale

Maybe I should put on the 8 inch coil? I have yet to find any goodies with it though on my XS, SE, SE Pro or E-trac.

Date: September 23, 2017 08:53AM
Tony, I agree that you should try your 8" coil. I'm using an 8x6 elliptical coil on my E-TRAC now and don't think I'll take it off unless I go to a beach. I get great separation when there's trash next to a coin.

Date: September 23, 2017 12:00PM
sd51
Tony, I agree that you should try your 8" coil. I'm using an 8x6 elliptical coil on my E-TRAC now and don't think I'll take it off unless I go to a beach. I get great separation when there's trash next to a coin.

I have an 8x6 but have yet to find anything with it.

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login