Findmall.com

Minelab E-TRAC Forum

Welcome! Log In Register
Copper Culture Awl
Posted by: Dale(Ia)
Date: October 08, 2017 08:21PM
Finally was able to get into my first field(cornfield) this fall.......This field had native indian villages on it in pre-historic times. My hunting buddy found one of these Copper Culture awls on this field last year. This awl has been on my Bucket List for many years!
The native americans hammered these out of "float" copper that came down with the glaciers & used them for piercing leather to make clothes, etc. You can't tell from this picture but they are diamond shaped in cross section & is much sharper then it appears in the picture.Since I got this new computer I've been having a hell of a time posting pictures!!

Iowa Dale

Sorry about the "giant" picture when you enlarge it!:rage:

Re: Copper Culture Awl
Posted by: cz70pro
Date: October 09, 2017 02:02AM
Dale(Ia)
Finally was able to get into my first field(cornfield) this fall.......This field had native indian villages on it in pre-historic times. My hunting buddy found one of these Copper Culture awls on this field last year. This awl has been on my Bucket List for many years!
The native americans hammered these out of "float" copper that came down with the glaciers & used them for piercing leather to make clothes, etc. You can't tell from this picture but they are diamond shaped in cross section & is much sharper then it appears in the picture.Since I got this new computer I've been having a hell of a time posting pictures!!

Iowa Dale

Sorry about the "giant" picture when you enlarge it!:rage:

Wow Dale, that is truly awesome. I've always wanted to find a piece of trade silver. To find a piece from that period would be incredible. Congrats!

Posted by: floodplaindetector
Date: October 09, 2017 07:14PM
That is a very cool find Dale. I used to be an avid arrowhead hunter in high school and can appreciate how neat that is.

Posted by: IDXMonster
Date: October 09, 2017 09:27PM
That's the type of thing that many dream of but just never run across. While I have found a small piece of float copper,I certainly haven't found anything close to that! What a find Dale,just spectacular. That would be a "banner" somewhere else...

Date: October 10, 2017 11:30AM
IDXMonster
That's the type of thing that many dream of but just never run across. While I have found a small piece of float copper,I certainly haven't found anything close to that! What a find Dale,just spectacular. That would be a "banner" somewhere else...
Thank's, IDX (& others!) It looks much better in-hand than that crappy picture............I have found many stone arrowheads & broken pottery shards on this site!

Iowa Dale

Posted by: Tony N (Michigan)
Date: October 10, 2017 12:58PM
It could be too that those Indians traded for copper from the Upper Peninsula of Michigan?

Fantastic find, Dale!

Posted by: laplander
Date: October 10, 2017 09:16PM
That's a heck of a find anytime especially in corn stubble!!
Well done brother:beers:

Date: October 10, 2017 10:29PM
Tony N (Michigan)
It could be too that those Indians traded for copper from the Upper Peninsula of Michigan?

Fantastic find, Dale!
Yep, you are correct, Tony........very well could have been traded in!

Iowa Dale

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login