Findmall.com

Minelab E-TRAC Forum

Welcome! Log In Register
Re: Unlocking your Etrac depth potential
Posted by: WV62
Date: October 23, 2017 09:55AM
sunraysux
ron.....not sure if you were directing this post to me...or the author Gannon?!?!?
and i sure as heck do not want to...or mean to hijack his post!!
but the one truism is that when you run the Etrac super HOT with open screen and very high manual sens, the numbers more or less go out the door....i run TTF...and dig every deeper non iron sound with great results :)

my rules of thumb are if it rings in over 28 conductive i dig(and of course nickel range targets too!!)
if it rings in over 5-6 inches...i dig
and i can tell you that i am starting to go over spots that i searched in BOTh directions with COINS mode in AUTO+3
and i am shocked at what i missed!!...even after a bunch of hunts that had diminishing returns and made me thing the sire was cooked......NOT SO!!

I was responding to your post, but your post was well in line with the topic header.

I am trying to understand what you are doing and why. I am with you on running high manual sensitivity, and I understand the over 28 conductive rule. But running TTF (Two Tone Ferrous) I am having a little trouble as to why the Ferrous setting and the the 2 tones. I will go back in my settings and make the changes for TTF, if I am going try this I want to be all in.

Interesting setup, and even more interesting is you finds.

Ron in WV

Worked and lived in the Huntington West Virginia area all my life, retired 2010
US Air Force Vietnam Veteran (68-69 & 70-71)
Started getting into metal detecting around 1975

Posted by: sunraysux
Date: October 23, 2017 08:27PM
well Ron...my finds are only my finds because i am spending a fair amount of time working on this Etrac learning curve...AND
because i live in an area of the country where these sorts of awesome old items do exist if you get lucky enough to walk over them
and the reason i do TTF instead of 4 tone....the 4 tone is wayyyy too noisy for me
the TTF is about enough to make me nuts but it also makes me dig alot of stuff i might talk myself out of otherwise while trying to decipher all those 4 tones rattling around in my head
it is either a good tone...or a bad one!!
....thats it!!....if you are sitting around waiting for perfect chirps and squeeks in worked out areas, good luck
the signals i am digging that lead to finds like a 13 inch deep 1689 coin are choppy mixed but believable TTF signals
so if it is not an iron thunk or growl....and it is over 6 inches deep and not clearly a low conductive1-10 type item, i dig it....that simple
###and keep in mind Ron...this is not my everyday mode of hunting
this is after i have worked an area hard in AUTO+3....COINS mode or modified open screen where i am blanking out all the 1-10 items and a bit of the high iron(31 and up)
then once i feel confident that i have cleaned out 99% of the easier items, i go this all open screen and MAN sens as high as the Etrac will stand....and listen to all those thunks//grunts waiting for a whisper from down deep

Posted by: Explorer.se
Date: October 23, 2017 10:52PM
I’m with you Sunray the proof is in the pudding this is what I dug up today using two tone! Thanks for the info! It’s either a 1920 or 24!

This was probably one of the shortest outings of the year at about one hour hunt but one of the most satisfying ever!

Date: October 24, 2017 07:53AM
:thumbup: :thumbup:
well played!
i am assuming this was recovered//discovered at a site you have hammered previously??

Posted by: WV62
Date: October 24, 2017 08:03AM
sunraysux
well Ron...my finds are only my finds because i am spending a fair amount of time working on this Etrac learning curve...AND
because i live in an area of the country where these sorts of awesome old items do exist if you get lucky enough to walk over them
and the reason i do TTF instead of 4 tone....the 4 tone is wayyyy too noisy for me
the TTF is about enough to make me nuts but it also makes me dig alot of stuff i might talk myself out of otherwise while trying to decipher all those 4 tones rattling around in my head
it is either a good tone...or a bad one!!
....thats it!!....if you are sitting around waiting for perfect chirps and squeeks in worked out areas, good luck
the signals i am digging that lead to finds like a 13 inch deep 1689 coin are choppy mixed but believable TTF signals
so if it is not an iron thunk or growl....and it is over 6 inches deep and not clearly a low conductive1-10 type item, i dig it....that simple
###and keep in mind Ron...this is not my everyday mode of hunting
this is after i have worked an area hard in AUTO+3....COINS mode or modified open screen where i am blanking out all the 1-10 items and a bit of the high iron(31 and up)
then once i feel confident that i have cleaned out 99% of the easier items, i go this all open screen and MAN sens as high as the Etrac will stand....and listen to all those thunks//grunts waiting for a whisper from down deep

Thanks sunraysux, I am at the point where all my hunting spots are just about hunted out and no new ones to hunt. So I am down to your final cleaning settings and return to my old hunting spots.

Ron in WV

Worked and lived in the Huntington West Virginia area all my life, retired 2010
US Air Force Vietnam Veteran (68-69 & 70-71)
Started getting into metal detecting around 1975

Date: October 24, 2017 08:45AM
well i promise you Ron that there are LOTS of items deep that you have left behind
so go back to your favorite places and ignore all the loud top crap.....
go open screen in MAN sens as high as the site conditions will allow
and dig all the deep stuff...you WILL surely find some really nice winners
no doubt there will be junk items and old rusty steel items too
but it is well worth it to save those beauties like explorer SE just posted

Date: October 24, 2017 09:03AM
OK Gents....sorry for the crappy photos
here is the 1689 Gun Money James II Irish Shilling recently unearthed using the aforementioned open screen process and lots of time and patience....as discussed, this is NOT some new scheme or panacea.....this is just training your ears and mind to listen to the cries of deep coins that want a new home above ground!!
i have yet to attempt to clean this coin to any degree...sort of like it as is actually
tried to blow up the date but my I phone is tricky with that stuff
trust me, in person it is easy to see the 1689 date and it is very exciting!!

Posted by: Explorer.se
Date: October 24, 2017 10:11AM
sunraysux
:thumbup: :thumbup:
well played!
i am assuming this was recovered//discovered at a site you have hammered previously??

Yes it was I had previously gotten some other goodies but no silver. Unique because I had a foreign coin spill of 22 coins at the same location a month before. Thanks again Sunray!

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login