just back....NOoooooo more TTC for me
it took all of 5 minutes to make that decision!! lol
didn't like it one bit....just me though
personal preference

No problem, at least you tried it!

Nope, you can't do open screen in conductiveN/T
Posted by: Chris(SoCenWI)
Date: October 24, 2017 09:33PM

(This message does not contain any text.)

Re: "hunted out" 1860s schoolhouse yields to Etrac open screen
Posted by: utmike
Date: October 25, 2017 01:25PM
NIce finds! I really like the Panama! Are you using ferrous or conductive audio in an open screen?

Posted by: sunraysux
Date: October 25, 2017 07:10PM
strictly TTF for me, Utah

Posted by: WV62
Date: October 25, 2017 08:10PM
sunraysux,

I done a little testing this evening with conductivity, Ferrous and tones with the open screen. So I started off in conductivity and of course the coins responded as I expected the bigger the coin the higher the tone in multi tone. Then the big surprise I put a nail in front of the coil, wow 100% high tone. No wonder you have to disc all the iron out. Same for the other tones iron was 100% high tone.

Now for Ferrous and I started with 2 tones, coins were all the same somewhat high tone and the nail was low as I expected. Now for the Ferrous side surprise. I changed the tones to 4 expecting the coins to go from 2 to 4 tones, they didn't all coins came in at the same high tone. But it was a little higher than with 2 tones. So I was still only hearing 2 tones, low for iron and high for coins.

When I went to Multi I thought the whole rock band would kick in, but it didn't I was still only hearing 2 tones, low for iron and the same high tone for all coins.

I didn't try single tone.

Ron in WV

Worked and lived in the Huntington West Virginia area all my life, retired 2010
US Air Force Vietnam Veteran (68-69 & 70-71)
Started getting into metal detecting around 1975

Posted by: E-TRAC-OHIO
Date: October 26, 2017 06:17AM
Two beautiful coins there - a big congrats ! :beers:

XP Deus * 9" Coil * Vance / Killer B Hybrid Headphones
Minelab E-Trac * 5" - 4.5" x 7" - Stealth X-8 Coils * Killer B + Gray Ghost Headphones

1724 - K.G. Half Penny * 1736 - K.G. Half Penny * 1783 - Half Real
1817 - Large Cent * 1829 - Capped Bust Dime * 1837 - Capped Bust Half Dime * 1852 - Three Cent * 1857 - Flying Eagle Cent * 1865 - Two Cent * 1877 - Seated Quarter

You have to use an older model of Explorer to get multiple tones in Ferrous...
Posted by: Chris(SoCenWI)
Date: October 26, 2017 02:30PM
I have an Explorer XS. These were made before Minelab decided to stuff all the ferrous values on the 12 line. It gives you different tones for different targets and it actually uses most of the screen to show TID. Way more useful than the Etrac or CTX.. I own a CTX but it stays at home because of this.

Chris

Re: You have to use an older model of Explorer to get multiple tones in Ferrous...
Posted by: tiftaaft
Date: October 26, 2017 03:22PM
Chris(SoCenWI)
I have an Explorer XS. These were made before Minelab decided to stuff all the ferrous values on the 12 line. It gives you different tones for different targets and it actually uses most of the screen to show TID. Way more useful than the Etrac or CTX.. I own a CTX but it stays at home because of this.

Chris

SE Pro here..... +1 to Chris's comment.

Posted by: diggervance
Date: October 26, 2017 04:03PM
Hey Sunray,

Very cool finds. That quarter is one of my favorite coins minted by the U.S.
The watch is very cool as well. I was lucky enough to find a late 1800s silver pocket watch a couple of years ago one of my favorite finds.

Thanks for the post and HH

DV

diggervance

2017 totals

28- silver

2- V nickel

14- buffalo nickels

4- silver jewelry

3- I.H.

Favorit Finds

Civil War Martingale Shield, Civil War Gen.Mcclellan Dog Tag, W.W. 1 Canadian Dog Tag, W.W. 2 Navy & Marine Gold and Silver Aviator Wings, Victoria Young 1838-1887 Six Pence love token, Complete 1880s to 1910 Lansing Mich. Captains Fireman Badge, 1890O Morgan Dollar

Detectors
E trac , EXPLORER XS Explorer set up with 5 inch Sunray coil for trashy areas and woods hunting

Handheld-Makro pinpointer, Headphones Killer B "Wasp

Date: October 26, 2017 07:05PM
Thanks DV...yeah, i have gotten several plated pocket watches lately which is the odd thing
the one pictured here being the oldest//coolest
i actually went over the item earlier in the day...and the BLARE from the signal was so strong, i passed it because i thought it to be a crushed aluminum can for goodness sakes!!
and on my way out of the site, i went back over it and figured...what the heck
popped a 6-7 inch plug and to my amazement, it wasn't in the plug!!
so thats when i got excited to see what she was down there....and at 13 plus inches ...there she was :)
just hit 3 more silvers this afternoon after work(2 Washingtons and a war nickel).....87 for the year!
wooohoooo.....raised my target to 100 silvers and i am hoping to hit that depending on the weather

Posted by: Sooper Dave
Date: October 27, 2017 08:58AM
Old schools are one of my favorite places to hunt. Great job on hunting wide open and that SLQ is a beauty! Keep it up and good luck!

Posted by: Drakester
Date: October 28, 2017 08:30PM
Nice finds!

Posted by: Silver Bullet
Date: October 30, 2017 10:18AM
When you are hitting those deep coins, are you getting signals from all directions (360 degrees)? Are the signals solid, or do they chatter some (my chatter signals typically turn out to be nails or clumps of iron)? Curious, because I typically hunt in Auto +3 and get good signals to about 7-8 inches of depth n my soil. I'm thinking of doing some hunts in manual mode just to see what comes to the surface.

Thanks,
SB

Date: November 05, 2017 02:47PM
sorry for the late reply SB
i will say that it is very rare that i can jump into MANUAL and NOT have it start to act up
i usually try to AUTO +3 the machine and see after 10 mins or so how stable she is like that....
then if she is stable, i will note at what level she is allowing in AUTO+3....20-21-22-23-23!?!?
so say it is like 22.....then i pop her into MANUAL and put it at say 21-22
because at he same area on the SENS scale, the MANUAL number is easily 20 hotter than AUTO+3
makes the NEL Tornado super sensitive to ANY and all ground disturbances
and yes, it DEF leads to alot of falsing and chirping
you must truly pay attention and listen for repeatable signals or really solid one way signals
for the deep rare cool stuff, it is surely worth the aggravation and extra digging to me.....

Posted by: Silver Bullet
Date: November 05, 2017 09:03PM
Thanks for the reply. SB

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login