Findmall.com

Minelab E-TRAC Forum

Welcome! Log In Register
E-trac setting
Posted by: WV62
Date: October 25, 2017 02:35PM
I posted this question in the General detecting forum, but thinking I should have posted it here in the E-Trac Forum.

To make my E-trac run a little like my Fisher F75 which setting should I choose Conductivity or Ferrous?

Ron in WV

Worked and lived in the Huntington West Virginia area all my life, retired 2010
US Air Force Vietnam Veteran (68-69 & 70-71)
Started getting into metal detecting around 1975

Re: E-trac setting
Posted by: IDXMonster
Date: October 25, 2017 06:37PM
Ron...before anyone breaks out their flamethrower,let me explain. IF you run in CONDUCT sounds, the machine will give you a tone depending on how CONDUCTIVE it has determined the target to be. If it thinks it's VERY CONDUCTIVE,it will give a HIGH tone. If it doesn't think the target is very CONDUCTIVE at all,then a very low tone.
If you run in FERROUS,it's the same drill...
Remember...no matter if you're running FERROUS or CONDUCT,the target will always show up on the same spot on the Smart Find screen,and more importantly on really deep targets,dance around in the same way. What they did with the CTX and Target Trace was to actually incorporate the "traces" or "paths" that the cursor is taking,making it easier for the operator to see what's going on.
To ask how to run your eTrac like an F75 might be a difficult thing,I don't know. I have never used a Fisher. But I will guarantee that the eTrac will take many many hours and many many days,months...but when your confidence in the machine and the way you run it starts to match the machines actual capability,you will have something special. There's no shortcut,no magic this or that.
I'll be interested in the rest of the comments...

Posted by: WV62
Date: October 25, 2017 07:25PM
Thanks IDXMonster,

I hope nobody gets upset over the question, I am just trying to improve on my E-Trac. But I have been running a F75 since I retired in 2010 and I understand it pretty good so my thought is the closer I can get the E-Trac to the F75 it would help me get a better understanding of the E-Trac.

I haven't had my F75 out since I got the E-Trac, my thought is if I try to use both machines it will just prolong my learning curve.

Please no flamethrowers guys, just trying to learn the E-Trac.

Ron in WV

Worked and lived in the Huntington West Virginia area all my life, retired 2010
US Air Force Vietnam Veteran (68-69 & 70-71)
Started getting into metal detecting around 1975

Posted by: sprchng
Date: October 25, 2017 08:37PM
Trying to make the etrac sound like a F75 is like trying to make a thoroughbred run like a zebra.
As I said in your other post , it depends on what tones you ran on the F75 and , if DP was your tone setting , there's just no accurate comparison.
The etrac is musical , the F75 is digital,,,like comparing Bach to Kiss.
You can make the Deus sound like the F75 pretty easy , not the etrac.

Posted by: Tony N (Michigan)
Date: October 26, 2017 02:48PM
WV62
Thanks IDXMonster,

I hope nobody gets upset over the question, I am just trying to improve on my E-Trac. But I have been running a F75 since I retired in 2010 and I understand it pretty good so my thought is the closer I can get the E-Trac to the F75 it would help me get a better understanding of the E-Trac.

I haven't had my F75 out since I got the E-Trac, my thought is if I try to use both machines it will just prolong my learning curve.

Ron in WV

Maybe some day detectors will allow you to choose from a list of sounds like our cell phones for calls or texts we get.
Like on the Minelab you'd be able to choose a Fisher F75 sound. Or on the F75 you could select from a list a Minelab sound.
Or instead of a sound get a human voice which says "Silver" or "Copper" or "I don't know what the heck it is but I'd dig it just to see what it is."

Posted by: Tony N (Michigan)
Date: October 26, 2017 02:52PM
IDXMonster
But I will guarantee that the eTrac will take many many hours and many many days,months...but when your confidence in the machine and the way you run it starts to match the machines actual capability,you will have something special. There's no shortcut,no magic this or that.
I'll be interested in the rest of the comments...

There is one shortcut to learning the capabilities of the E-trac or any detector: Have a coin garden set up with different scenarios one might encounter in the real world.

Posted by: tiftaaft
Date: October 26, 2017 03:21PM
Tony N (Michigan)
WV62
Thanks IDXMonster,

Ron in WV

Maybe some day detectors will allow you to choose from a list of sounds like our cell phones for calls or texts we get.
Like on the Minelab you'd be able to choose a Fisher F75 sound. Or on the F75 you could select from a list a Minelab sound.
Or instead of a sound get a human voice which says "Silver" or "Copper" or "I don't know what the heck it is but I'd dig it just to see what it is."

I would choose "Maxwell's Silver Hammer" by the Beatles for the high tone. (which coincidentally is my Etrac's nickname ;))

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 10/26/2017 03:34PM by tiftaaft.

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login