Findmall.com

Minelab E-TRAC Forum

Welcome! Log In Register
Best Settings for Civil War Relics
Posted by: Mike Gresham
Date: February 21, 2009 07:22PM
I'm headed to Virginia in a couple of weeks for some serious Civil War relic hunting. I've become very comfortable with my E-Trac on coins, however this will be my first hunt for relics with this machine. I would like to hear comments from those of you that have been hunting relics with the E-Trac, regarding the best settings and techniques .

Brand new E-Trac after 30 years of Fishers and Garretts

Re: Best Settings for Civil War Relics
Posted by: Jason in TN
Date: February 21, 2009 07:35PM
Very little Discrimination. Run Sensitivity as high as possible for depth, may not be able to run very high depends on what part of VA you are headed to.
I just block out nails bottom right corner. Last Dig Dig Dig If it beeps dig it up if you pass up any thing larger than a nail you could be missing a great relic.
Good luck.

Posted by: Jason in TN
Date: February 21, 2009 07:37PM
Here is a link to a relic hunting program I use a good bit. May have to make a change or two for your ground.

http://www.findmall.com/read.php?63,904442,904557#msg-904557

Posted by: Mike Gresham
Date: February 21, 2009 08:13PM
Thanks Jason. I'm headed to the BGI hunt east of Appomattox. I will probably hunt completely opened up and dig every signal. If I get into a lot of shrapnel, I may revert to my old Garrett Master Hunter, which I know will reveal those deep shells. The deepest shell I have found with the Garrett is approximately 2-1/2 feet deep. I am not sure how the E-trac will react to a deep shell.

Brand new E-Trac after 30 years of Fishers and Garretts

Posted by: JCJEXPLORER
Date: February 21, 2009 08:19PM
Jason has you pointed in the right direction.... I would add.... go slow and low once you have located an area w/ plenty of targets and be prepared to go deep on your targets. Thursday I help a friend dig a shell at 30+ inches. Listen to the sounds and do not get hung up on the numbers.

Explorer XS, E-trac

Posted by: Ex-Sox
Date: February 21, 2009 09:44PM
What sound would you be listening for on a shell. Is it just the Iron tone? Sorry, never dug one and am curious.

Posted by: JCJEXPLORER
Date: February 22, 2009 04:55AM
high tone that hits lower to mid right on screen

Explorer XS, E-trac

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login