Findmall.com

Spectra V3 / V3i / VX3 Forum

Welcome! Log In Register
Re: Can v3i be set deeper than preset coin & jewelry program?
Posted by: rombolo
Date: September 12, 2010 04:01PM
Thanks Rob! You've been a huge help but I'm still a bit confused...I just purchased the v3i. I am trying to set my machine according to your reply. Are you saying you accept all metal and change the tone to recognize rather than look at the display? If you could clarify your settings I'd appreciate....many thanks.

Posted by: Rob (IL)
Date: September 12, 2010 06:00PM
I reject the VDI numbers from -95 to -81. They are now also set to zero tone. This where all the ground I hunt fits. I don't want to hear the ground.

I then accept all VDI from -80 to +95. Now my detector doesn't null on these VDI. The ones I want to hear I assign a tone. The ones I don't want to hear I assign a zero tone.
The VDI from -80 to -1 are ferrous I assign a tone of 5 to them so I can monitor the unwanted metal in the ground. On some of my programs these get the zero tone. Rob

"Everyone has an opinion, but mine is free":devil:
"You might very well think that; I couldn't possibly comment..."

Posted by: Larry (IL)
Date: September 12, 2010 06:41PM
Why do you reject -95 to -81 if you already have the tone set to 0?

Bells and whistles are nice, but nothing will substitute for the basic understanding of the hobby.

:minelab: CTX 3030

Date: September 12, 2010 08:37PM
I've been trying it lately because Yazoo has his program set this way and I'm giving it a try. I've checked and all the ground I hunt falls in this range.

I wrote Jeff Foster concerning this but never got a reply. I wanted to know if there is an advantage to accept all VDI and set unwanted VDI to zero OR reject unwanted VDI and also set tones to Zero. I don't worry much about masking problems in this range and besides even if it isn't necessary it can't hurt anything. Rob

Posted by: yazoo
Date: September 13, 2010 05:20AM
Rob,I would be interested in what Jeff Foster has to say about it too. I have tried both ways and can not tell a difference.I just figure it cant help to cover yr rear a little more if you can. Yazoo

Date: September 13, 2010 07:55AM
Just curious is all. I noticed on another forum that using discrimination and 0 Hz tone assignment at the same time is popular as is other seemingly nonsense practices. (like the 6X10 DD coil being superieur) The way I see it is that with assignable tones, discrimination is not needed and the audio circuit is in the constant ON state. Some of us from the old school, thought that the less discrimination used, the deeper your detector would go and my line of thinking is that no nulling from no discrimination is a good thing............:shrug:

Bells and whistles are nice, but nothing will substitute for the basic understanding of the hobby.

Date: September 13, 2010 09:04AM
seemingly nonsense practices

Now, now Larry, be nice. If you are not nice I won't come out to play. :wiggle::wiggle: Rob

Date: September 13, 2010 09:22AM
OK Rob, I don't want to get :ban: ...... :rofl: Seriously, if there are advantages, I'm all ears.

Date: September 13, 2010 10:18AM
Honestly I just tried it . I can't say I saw an advantage. Also, I never noticed your ears where that big. I'll look better the next time I see you. I'm going to change the setting right now. Rob

Posted by: nw1886
Date: September 13, 2010 10:46AM
I've tried those settings and had to add some noise. (Just didn't feel right and was missing deep pennies with a faster sweep.) Do like that 0 tone but is taking some getting used to but.......sure is snooping out a lot of wheaties and a few dimes. As far as that 6x10, all my coils are my favorite coil and that coil IS my favorite for many things hands down. (Just like my shooter,950 and 5.3....and the most used, 10DD) Saying "Favorite" sells everything short. What's your favorite adjustment?:rofl: (Mine is the on button!) "Whatever works for you." is what gets stuff done anyways.

Date: September 13, 2010 11:04AM
Larry , one of the reasons I thought to use that set up was that by not accepting the #'s that my ground would ground phase at , then by using lock track it may be of some help in keeping a good ground balance. Was something Magic and I tossed around and played with when we started developing our programs with the Vision.Seeing there was no manual and was fly by the seat of your pants set ups . We played with many things and as the V3i came to be we sorta had a jump on things.It looks like our program styles are used a lot with good results. Still don't know if it really helps or not but haven't seen that it hurts. Hoping to get out hunting a bit this week. 30 mins here and there . Still got a weight limit of 5 lbs for another month and a half. With a small coil I think I am under that. H.H. Yazoo

Posted by: yellow1053
Date: October 05, 2010 01:34AM
rcasio44
I've been trying it lately because Yazoo has his program set this way and I'm giving it a try. I've checked and all the ground I hunt falls in this range.

I wrote Jeff Foster concerning this but never got a reply. I wanted to know if there is an advantage to accept all VDI and set unwanted VDI to zero OR reject unwanted VDI and also set tones to Zero. I don't worry much about masking problems in this range and besides even if it isn't necessary it can't hurt anything. Rob

Hi Rob,
can you explain how I would determine the ground VDI range of the area's that I hunt??
thanks.
Jim.

Date: October 05, 2010 05:46AM
Not Rob ,but it goes like this.Go 2 ground tracking ,thenZoom,thenzero in air then lower to the ground for the number. Is on page 21 of manual bottom right. H.H. Yazoo

Date: October 05, 2010 11:37AM
Just checked this post again. I was talking to Anne and she saw no advantage to both rejecting and setting to zero. Score one for Larry. Now all my programs reject nothing and rejection is done by assigning a zero tone. Rob

Posted by: MANDAD76
Date: October 05, 2010 01:51PM
Seems to me that if vdi number is rejected - then machine has to - reject/null/recover - whereas if not rejected and assisgned 0 tone - then no rejection/null/recovery time/delay - therefore less masking. Not sure that's right - just my thoughts. Interesting subject - thanks for posting! hh

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login