Findmall.com

Spectra V3 / V3i / VX3 Forum

Welcome! Log In Register
spectra v3i vs minelab
Posted by: spanishsilver
Date: December 19, 2011 10:01AM
Hi all I am looking into moving back into a Whites machine. After experiencing the horrible customer service with Minelab I am done. Basically the tech at minelab said my explorer is a paper weight and he cant get the parts to fix it (keypad no longer available). This sucks so I will be moving on to Whites after being assured that 10 yrs down the road my machine will still be serviceable. I need opinions about the v3i and its depth capabilities. Any info on the machine would be great and I do not want to bash companies just some good info about the v3i. Thanks

Re: spectra v3i vs minelab
Posted by: Ytcoinshooter
Date: December 19, 2011 10:14AM
Welcome, you will get reliable information from Rob and a few others here. I'm new to the V3i but have spent some time learning how to set it up and I can say that determining the filter / disc sense / all metal sense / rx gain in that order are the keys to the depth you seek. Determing he correct filter out of 8 choices for the site / ground you are working takes priority. Download the manual from whites. The V is only as good as the users understanding thus the number on the secondary market. I've been spending the week when time and weather allow depth testing against a Sovereign GT. Both detectors impress me. This is a small plot with iron near the test targets. You may want to check out whites own forum for additional info.
I tend to lurk and read more than post as I'm really just a "student" here, learning the V3i. Whites customer service is #1 !!!.
Good luck.
HH

Posted by: Rob (IL)
Date: December 19, 2011 11:15AM
Just read the v3i verse Etrac post on this page. Read Neil's review. The link works. The one thing is on the deepest silver the V3i is just as deep but not as easy for the unexperienced to ID. As you said, the Minelab service scares me. I know to repair the screen on my SE it would be $135 and on the Whites it is $5 and doesn't need to be sent in. Approximately $120 would get you a new detector at Whites. :devil: ROB

"Everyone has an opinion, but mine is free":devil:
"You might very well think that; I couldn't possibly comment..."

Posted by: MANDAD76
Date: December 19, 2011 12:13PM
Whites customer service is superb...love my v3i....if you take the plunge...you won't be disappointed. gl and hh

Spectra V3i
BHID 300

Posted by: Larry (IL)
Date: December 19, 2011 06:29PM
I must compliment those who are being fair and objectionable on a touchy subject of brand X vs. brand Y that was once banned on the forums. Forums management is now allowing comparisons as long as it stays civil, as the last two posts have been on here. Rob, Neil, myself and many others are multi-line users including Minelabs and we will try to give you our honest experienced opinions on what we know but questions like which is best can not be answered, that has more to do with the user and not the machine used.

Brand loyal posts and bashing any manufactures detectors will not only be deleted, but the poster may very well deleted as well.

Bells and whistles are nice, but nothing will substitute for the basic understanding of the hobby.

:minelab: CTX 3030, :whites: V3i

Posted by: chenier
Date: December 23, 2011 11:05AM
Hello! For The V3 is that I can find a picture of the ID dispute for the V3, in order to compare my disputes signals.
Thank you, Chenier.

Date: December 23, 2011 11:09AM
Sorry I don't understand.

Posted by: Dingo Darnell
Date: December 23, 2011 01:01PM
Quote: I do not want to bash companies just some good info about the v3i

The V3i uses 3 frequencies at the same time. No other machine will do that. Because of that, I think it's the best machine on the market.

Posted by: denny-o
Date: December 23, 2011 01:09PM
Ummm, just a picky point, but as I understand it, some PI machines use up to 24 discrete frequencies in a pulse stream...

Posted by: Larry (IL)
Date: December 23, 2011 01:14PM
How many frequencies that are transmitted is misleading, it is how many of those that are being processed for target information that counts. ALL metal detectors transmits many frequencies (primary plus harmonics).

Bells and whistles are nice, but nothing will substitute for the basic understanding of the hobby.

:minelab: CTX 3030, :whites: V3i

Date: December 23, 2011 01:33PM
I'm sure he meant VFL detector. Neither of the discussed detectors are PI.

Posted by: Texas-Steve
Date: December 23, 2011 05:20PM
I have used both Whites and Minelab detectors. They both are great detectors but to me I like the display that shows the icons. I guess that is why I came back to Whites plus all the great things I read on the V3i.
Happy Hunting to all detectorist and Merry Christmas and Happy New Year to all

Posted by: grumpyjohn
Date: December 24, 2011 05:46AM
When I was considering the purchase of a new detector I had a go with a detecting friends Minelab but wasn't comfortable with the weight and balance.The Minelab is an excellent bit of kit but I finally went with the V3i for its balance, screen info. and the fact that the European repair centre is in Scotland where I live.

Posted by: calibil
Date: December 25, 2011 02:02PM
Whites service is great, I also have plenty of ML detectors and dread having to send one in for repair if needed. There is more piece of mind purchasing a Whites, knowing that you will have your machine serviced in a timley manner, and parts can be found to fix an older model.

Posted by: earthmansurfer
Date: December 28, 2011 03:41PM
I've been running an E-Trac for a couple of weeks now and having fun with it - I like learning new machines. I still have my V3i though. I'm wondering why my V3i wasn't getting the depth I'm getting with the E-Trac though (8"-9"). I know the V3i is deep, I have tested it as such but I worked this area with the V3i 2X first and didn't pull anything deeper than 4" or 5". I haven't crossed checked signals yet as it's been muddy out there, cold and I'm on a bike! But I did work the same areas.

Here is what I'm thinking, the ground probe says the ground is mild (only 1%) but the iron mineralization level is at -93 to -94. I'm thinking that is where I might be having the problem. I was running the 5 filters as they clearly had the best target response. But, is it possible that at depth a higher filter might cut through the iron mineralization better? I want to take the V3i out there again as I have pulled around 15 coins at 6" to 8", so they are there. I have spoken to another guy on a forum and his ground is like mine but his % is much higher and he is stuck at that 4" to 5" range as well. So I'm thinking it's filters, but it might even be sensitivity, though the V3i was running very quiet and I had much less falsing with it there than with the E-Trac, though both I could tell were falses for the most part.

I'll say this, I very much miss the bright screen and nice backlight. Not good on the E-Trac. The buttons are not nice either, but functional. No menu shortcuts either. I guess like Neil said, we are all looking for that machine and there are pluses and minuses with each.

Thanks,
Albert

Signum 7272M
Detector - E-Trac
Pro-Pointer w/ Sidekick (supertuner)
Lesche Knife

"Fear is the path to the dark side. Fear leads to anger, anger leads to hate, hate leads to suffering."
Yoda

Sorry, you can't reply to this topic. It has been closed.