Findmall.com

Spectra V3 / V3i / VX3 Forum

Welcome! Log In Register
Big Dawg Coil...on my VISION - soon
Posted by: CROCK of COINS
Date: December 19, 2011 06:07PM
I will have The Big Dawg Coil in a few days...Let the FUN begin :-) I have 3 BigFOOT coils...now to compair--Eagle SL II/BigFOOT, XLT/BigFOOT, DFX/BigFOOT and the VISION/BigFOOT soon to try the Big Dawg Coil ;-)

Jerry

Vision - V3 - 10"DD
DFX - DX-1 BigFOOT coil - 4x6 DD Shooter coil
XLT - BigFOOT coil
Eagle II SL90 BigFOOT coil
Eagle II SL90 6" coil
Prizm II 8" coil

Oxnard, CA

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 12/19/2011 07:58PM by Larry (IL).

Re: Big Dawg Coil...on my VISION - soon
Posted by: TIM CLARK
Date: December 19, 2011 06:33PM
I have the XLT with the big foot coil and it is a clad vacuum I use it for clad hunting:twodetecting: I will be watching to see how you like this coil.:thumbup:

Minelab CTX3030 / Excalibur ll / Whites V3i-DFX-XLT-Beach Hunter 300 -Surf PI Pro / Lesche Sasmpson T handel Digging Shovel / DX-1 / XL-1 and Bulleye II probes / Garrett Pro pointer / Whites wireless hp / Sun Ray Pro Gold hp / Rattler hp / Macally wireless hp Have been detecting sent 2005 mainly hunting for old coins.
Live in Richmond Indiana.
Youtube Channel - http://www.youtube.com/user/trc4872

Posted by: Rob in (Ca)
Date: December 20, 2011 09:19AM
it's not going to work on the 22.5 frequency, but see how it runs on the 7.5 (only frequency)

should be able to really crank up the sensitivity to where it hits hard on the low conductors, and still get good VDI readings.

let us know how it works out and if it pinpoints the same as the Bigfoot

Happy Holiday's

Rob

Long Beach ca,

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 12/20/2011 09:23AM by Rob in (Ca).

Posted by: Rob (IL)
Date: December 20, 2011 10:19AM
"The BIG DAWG Coil is not V rated at this time. It will work with the lower two frequencies but has not been tuned or tested for the 22.5K Hz. We plan to add an 'About Us' page on our website. Thank you for your interest in the BIG DAWG Coil.

Pinnacle Design Inc."

"Everyone has an opinion, but mine is free":devil:
"You might very well think that; I couldn't possibly comment..."

Posted by: Larry (IL)
Date: December 20, 2011 10:38AM
They do not advertise it as being compatible with the V series, so I expect it to be much like a low profile Bigfoot. I would run it at 7.5 and use it as a clad vacuum. It should do fine on Gold targets in 7.5 just not as good as 22.5 on small gold. I see it filling the need left by the Bigfoot.

Bells and whistles are nice, but nothing will substitute for the basic understanding of the hobby.

:minelab: CTX 3030, :whites: V3i

Posted by: Mike Hillis
Date: December 21, 2011 11:23AM
Jerry,
Looking forward to your report. Two extra inches of ground coverage over a Bigfoot, looks good.

I have two questions I hope you can answer when you receive it.

1. Does it detect with a single beep during the whole length of the coil on the DFX and V3 like a Bigfoot coil does?

2. In 22 kHz mode on the V3, does it multiple low conductive targets by a factor of 3 like a Bigfoot coil does? If you would just post what the TID of a nickel is on the BigDawg coil, that will answer that question.

Thanks,
HH
Mike

Fisher F5
Teknetics EuroTek Pro
Fisher CZ 5 Quicksilver
Whites Sierra Gold Trac
Tesoro Compadre
Tesoro Golden Sabre II

Posted by: Mike Hillis
Date: December 21, 2011 11:28AM
I'm really considering getting another V3 for my Bigfoot coil. The used prices of V3's are coming down low enough now that I wont freak out as bad over the cost. (I buy an expensive detector then worry about why i spent so much for something I get to use so little :) )

Once you understand how the two interact, it becomes a really good jewelry hunter and the V3 configurability allows you to custom design around the Bigfoot.

Looking forward to hearing how the BigDawg does.

HH
Mike

Fisher F5
Teknetics EuroTek Pro
Fisher CZ 5 Quicksilver
Whites Sierra Gold Trac
Tesoro Compadre
Tesoro Golden Sabre II

Posted by: Rob (IL)
Date: December 21, 2011 01:51PM
I'd like to try one but I'm not ready to buy one yet. I hope someone will give an honest review. If it fits your hunting style it could be a great option. We will see.

"Everyone has an opinion, but mine is free":devil:
"You might very well think that; I couldn't possibly comment..."

Posted by: Hunt4Fun
Date: December 21, 2011 05:21PM
Jerry,

There are a lot of people out here hoping for a good Big Dawg review from you ... me included. A BigFoot replacement has been a long time coming. Hope this is it.

Good luck
Bob

We cannot dwell on our problems while concentrating on detecting.
Simi Valley, CA *** MXT, XL Pro, Modified IDX Pro, V3i & MXT Pro
Member of Gold Coast Treasure Hunters

Posted by: Rob in (Ca)
Date: December 21, 2011 10:06PM
I've always wondered why Whites has not made a Bigfoot type coil....... you would think they would sell a boat load of them, especially for the V :shrug: :shrug:

Long Beach ca,

Posted by: CROCK of COINS
Date: January 12, 2012 02:18AM
By time I got the DAWG...I took on a head cold... LOL Last weekend I hit the beach with the Spectra V3. I used ONE freq and had to dial down the "Pre AMP gain. I did find some coins and the DAWG did pinpoint GOOD ! ! !

So I took out my DFX and hit a park PLAY area.****I got OVERLOAD****... I went home and put on the BigFOOT coil and the DFX again went ***OVERLOAD*** ! ! ! I had not used my DFX in a year...I did re-balance on the DFX and NO OVERLOAD. But I did not go back out and test the DAWG.

I will try and test next week. I will give a report when I do get enough info on the DAWG ;-)

Jerry

Vision - V3 - 10"DD
DFX - DX-1 BigFOOT coil - 4x6 DD Shooter coil
XLT - BigFOOT coil
Eagle II SL90 BigFOOT coil
Eagle II SL90 6" coil
Prizm II 8" coil

Oxnard, CA

Posted by: triplehooked
Date: January 13, 2012 08:23AM
Looks like an awesome coil for dry sand beach hunting. I wonder if you ran in the 22 kHz freq. if it would just skew the vdi numbers or actually affect the performance of the coil? I dig everything above iron at the beach anyways, so I wouldn't need vdi accuracy for that type of hunting.

Date: January 13, 2012 09:55AM
I don't have the actual results but I can only guess that performance will suffer a great deal on 22.5. The VDI's were way off and were different on the front half from the rear half as well. I would still recommend using 7.5 with the Big Dawg and Bigfoot. You will still get most of what was lost on the beach with the exception of the smallest of the gold.

Bells and whistles are nice, but nothing will substitute for the basic understanding of the hobby.

Posted by: DFX USER
Date: January 21, 2012 11:25PM
I've been following these posts and would like to know the answer to the question Mike ask back on December 21st, what is the VDI reading of a nickel using the Big Dawg on a V3i? I use a Bigfoot on my V3i and run it on all 3 frequencies all the time. Works great but as mentioned it multiplies the 22.5 frequency by 3 times. For instance the nickel vdi is around 56/58 when using the Bigfoot. I would like to know if it is the same for the Big Dawg.

Rob Hill
Orlando, Florida
White's DFX
White's Spectra V-3i
Garrett Pro Pin Pointer
Central Florida Metal Detecting Club
www.thecfmdc.com
Persistence Pays Off

Date: January 22, 2012 06:43AM
Here is the other thread on the Big Dawg if you missed it: http://www.findmall.com/read.php?66,1607697,1622793#msg-1622793

In short, 7.5 is the only frequency that works normally on the V series. 22.5 is way off and you can not use the multiplier. Results even vary from the front half and back half of the coil in that frequency.

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login