Findmall.com

Spectra V3 / V3i / VX3 Forum

Welcome! Log In Register
Cover has a White's logo and American Flag
Posted by: jtalley007
Date: February 16, 2012 09:38PM
Not sure what model is was for or how old it is.

Do the new ones not operate that way?

Thanks

Re: What improvements???? New V3I of Course....
Posted by: TC-NM
Date: February 17, 2012 11:13AM
Back when the Vision (updated to Spectra V3) was introduced by White's, a USB interface was talked about by the company but was scrapped. Don't know the reason though I suspect if a customer assumed that he/she can get downloadable programs from White's, White's will have to charge you for them. Writing programs & updating software is not free or cheap. Now to customize your own program from your home PC with say MS Excel and then download to the detector or even share with fellow detectorists, I'd say YES! But software updates and sending in your detector as some of you know is solely reserved for designer/manuf.

Manual ground balancing for me is no problem. It takes me no more than 10 to 15 seconds to accomplish this. Course I'm old school and been doing it for years. Now the newbie probably would like automatic GB.

My Improvements are as follows:

1) Build a V3i to be waterproof and salt waterproof. Better seals and an external cover and waterproof headphone connectors such as the 'Beach Hunter'. Even call the new model "V3i/BH" or "V3i/LS" and give it a new color such as High Impact Green or Yellow.

2) Built in on the fly notching (accept/reject) instead of you drilling down into some of the programs to get this done.

3) Hip/Shoulder mount bag with a longer coil cord and shaft & handgrip. This will eliminate at least almost half of the weight off your arm.

4) I do like my wireless headphones but, if White's could introduce a smaller, lightweight headphones or earbuds for when it gets hot in the summer. Then I can wear my wide brim hat and use the latter.

5) And for my ultimate wish is for White's to make wireless mounted coils! No more coil wires or connectors. Have either the coil and/or shaft sync. to the control box at just under 10 seconds and your off and running.

My Vision was number 82 off the assembly line and I love it as it sits. I went from analog detectors to the Vision back in July '09 and believe you me, it was an uphill battle to understand. I've learned alot and tried to focus on all the programing aspects of the detector. I am not 100% comfortable yet. I am not as fortunate as others here who have been weened on XLT's, DFX's and such. I guess things come easier than others.

Good Luck and by always, Have Fun Out There!!!

TC-NM

Detectors Used:
White's XL Pro -- MXT -- Sunray Pro Gold Headphones -- Macally Wireless Headphones -- Lesche Digger

~ Been Detecting Since '74 ~

jerry sent you a message!N/T
Posted by: Big Red
Date: February 18, 2012 08:19AM

(This message does not contain any text.)

Re: What improvements????
Posted by: BR549
Date: February 18, 2012 06:39PM
YEP!!A new XL pro.

Posted by: MHirschmann
Date: February 19, 2012 03:14AM
TC-NM, I thought that the USB interface interfered with Minelab patents. I could be wrong but I read somewhere that this is the reason why the USB interface was scrapped. I can't speak for improvements at this point as I will be getting my V3i this coming wednesday. HH -Marc

Minelab E-Trac / Sun-Ray X-1 / 6" EQ2 / 8" FBS / 12x13 NEL
Minelab Excalibur II 1000 / Vibra-Quatic / Anderson CF "Shorty" Setup For Diving
Minelab Excalibur II 1000 / Anderson CF Straight Rod
XP Deus / Large Coil / Garrett Pro Pointer

Posted by: mgtmadness
Date: February 19, 2012 08:02AM
Upgrade-able processor(send in) and memory(send in) and the option to remove/keep/and re-install the on-board manual which probably takes up a considerable amount of the memory.
I believe the USB is an alright idea, and they already had the wireless transfer of programs from one V3 to Another but hardly anyone used that feature(course the v3 was new so hardly any V3's were out there yet to test long term of this feature) and I thought that I read that that feature was pulled from the V3i and the on-board manual was installed(I remember saying to White's to add an on-board manual before they did, which it was explained would take memory away from the V3i, but was a good idea).
Your own programmable VDI Numbers, lighted keypads would be cool, auto adjust back-light that adjust with lighting conditions, waterproof, GPS??, Lipo or Lithion Ion battery system, the ability too add or make your own Lipo batteries for it(I know with rc cars you can get a 11.1V, 5,000-8,000 Mah batteries for them and these would be great in a V3iD,V3iUG,V3i2,V3i-SE,V3i-XSP(Xtra Special Purpose) The use of all frequencies and the option to make a program that uses the best of or your choice of frequencies, the ability to detect a dime sized object at a depth of 14 inches in any soil condition, auto ground balance and frequency shift and frequency choice dependent on EMI and other detectors in the vicinity.
Carbon Fiber upper,middle and lower shafts, better plastics for the cam-locks, removable box from the upper rod or the ability to move it forward or back dependent on balance when using different coils or personal preference. The Ability to move the Screen Pod up,down,left,right to face the user whether the user is left or right handed. Some of these features would make it so that it is not as rugged,like the screen pod it or would be a weak point of breakage. This could be solved by having it lock into place, a stronger plastic and or that could be an option/feature you can buy and add on by removing the pod and adding an adapter into the top of the handle and snapping the pod on/off or it is held on by a screw/bolt and nut. maybe a Pistol grip handle/ or pistol grip add on feature(new Rubber to slide over the metal handle by removing the pod, removing the foam handle and adding/ sliding on a pistol grip that forms more naturally to the shape of a hand.

This is all I can come up with right now. I need to go and begin looking for work again, it is hard to find work in my area and having applied to over 100 jobs of careerbuilder.com and with just a few calls seems worthless. Now if I could just work for White's to come up with new idea's I would be all set :-)

Own- White's XLT,V3i,MXT Pro,Beach Hunter 300, coinmaster.

Posted by: packfan_1982
Date: February 25, 2012 08:02PM
I would love it if they could make it look like this!

Posted by: Dude
Date: February 28, 2012 10:36AM
Put it on a diet!

Posted by: Rob (IL)
Date: February 28, 2012 01:03PM
If 4 AA's could be used that would get 5oz less. If the wireless pin-pointer could be carried in your pouch that would get us DX1 users a big jump on weight trimming. The battery packs are built like a tank. The case of the pack could be slimmed down.

"Everyone has an opinion, but mine is free":devil:
"You might very well think that; I couldn't possibly comment..."

Better Velcro on Arm Cuff
Posted by: Neil in West Jersey
Date: February 28, 2012 03:24PM
My new V3i does not use the same velcro as my old one did, A few times I almost dropped my detector.

http://freewebs.com/neilinwestjersey

Posted by: chappy(IN)
Date: March 03, 2012 11:48AM
I would like to have my V3i upgraded instead of buying a whole new machine. I think having a machine that can always be upgraded is a big selling point. Do you think White's can upgrade the V3i with the features everybody has listed or is a whole new machine in order ?

Central Indiana
V3i,MXT PRO,GMT,Prizm II ,Sea Hunter II ,DX-1 & GPAA member
& Lots of coils.

Posted by: Larry (IL)
Date: March 03, 2012 01:09PM
:rofl: Just because we listed what we want is no indication that we will get any of it. I wouldn't lose too much sleep about an upgrade Bryan.

Bells and whistles are nice, but nothing will substitute for the basic understanding of the hobby.

:minelab: CTX 3030, :whites: V3i

Posted by: Rob (IL)
Date: March 03, 2012 02:59PM
It could be both, with some upgrades on the V3i and a new machine with improvements the V3i can't handle. After the last time I think there will be fewer information leaks if any. Again as I stated in the original post if it doesn't improve performance, I don't need it.

"Everyone has an opinion, but mine is free":devil:
"You might very well think that; I couldn't possibly comment..."

Posted by: gilfordberry
Date: March 07, 2012 02:44AM
Didn't read everything above, but in case it hasn't already been mentioned, how about being able to select TWO of the three frequencies instead of only one or all three? As I'm sure has been mentioned numerous times, make the entire machine waterproof - including saltwater proof. Also, I have a sneaky suspicion that pulse induction has a depth advantage over VLF detectors.....Could it be possible to utilize both transmit and receive coils TOGETHER as one large coil in a pulsed induction mode - just to help pick up deep targets - especially in wet salt sand - then switch over to to the standard VLF mode once a target has been indicated for identification? I know it wouldn't be an easy engineering task because switching of the coil leads as well as two entirely separate systems of detection are involved requiring double the circuitry....but it certainly would be a "king of the hill" for the salt beaches.

Posted by: MANDAD76
Date: March 07, 2012 02:45PM
BHID....would be nice to hunt freshwater without salt subtraction....and.....be able to switch over to salt subtraction to hunt saltwater....and a clip for hipmounting.

Spectra V3i
BHID 300

Sorry, you can't reply to this topic. It has been closed.