Findmall.com

Spectra V3 / V3i / VX3 Forum

Welcome! Log In Register
AW 2200 LI - ION Test
Posted by: Rob (IL)
Date: June 04, 2012 06:59PM
I noticed the $2000 plus dollar detectors that have been getting all the play on the forums lately are powered by Li Ion battery packs. Lithium-ion batteries are incredibly popular these days. You can find them in laptops, PDAs, cell phones, and now detectors. Whites is using them in the TDI detector.

Here are the claims made for the Lithium-ion battery. They are a low maintenance battery, and don't have a memory problem, which means that you do not have to completely discharge them before recharging. They are generally lighter than other types of rechargeable batteries and they hold their charge because they don't have the self discharge problem that most NIMH packs exhibit. Li Ion batteries also operate at a higher voltage than NIMH batteries while being used. My research shows they should be good for 1000 deep charge/discharge cycles. These are general claims I found on the Internet.

I decided to get the RB AW 2200 Li-ION battery and do a field test. These batteries will work in all Whites models that use the 8 AA packs. The first thing I noticed when I unpacked the box was the packs are bright red. The case is shaped so the pack can be removed from the detector, using your thumb and finger, without having to tip the coil in the air. This saves you from accidentally sticking the coil in the ceiling fan.:rofl:

My first test was to see if the AW2200 was lighter than my NIMH packs. I put the AW2200 mah pack on my scale and found it was 3oz lighter than my Whites 1800 mah NIMH pack. RB claims the AW2200 saves even more weight when compared to the Whites 2200 heavy duty pack. Since I don't own that Whites pack I could not test this claim. This test is done. They are lighter than the NIMH.
:clapping:
The second test I wanted to run was to see if there was a problem with self discharge. The Li ion packs are suppose to charge in two hours. In less than 2 hours the charger's red light changed to green and the pack had a full charge. I left on my trip but was disappointed to find I couldnt do any hunting. I checked the battery voltage today and it was 12.51 V. This was after 5 days of sitting. This test will be on going but shows they are definitely low self discharge. :clapping: I'm going to let this pack sit and check it after 2 weeks. That will be enough idle time for me. I'll post this result later.

A second pack I loaded in my V3i to test how many hours it would run in my Spectra. It had a 12.51V starting voltage after sitting for 5 days. I will keep a log of running time until the battery quits and post the results.

RUN TIME TEST
Battery Charged and let sit for 5 days.
First hunt lasted 4.25 hours. The starting voltage was 12.51v. The ending voltage was 11.23 v.

The last test I want to perform is to see how much using the car charger can extent the run time of the pack. We all have to eat, so my test will be to use the charger for 30 minutes while taking a lunch break. I plan to do this test after I finish the first run time test.

If you have any tests for me to try let me know.

"Everyone has an opinion, but mine is free":devil:
"You might very well think that; I couldn't possibly comment..."

Re: AW 2200 LI - ION Test
Posted by: burlbark
Date: June 04, 2012 07:21PM
Thanks Rob...... I have been on the fence on this one, but from what you wrote already it sounds like a no brainer.:wiggle:

Date: June 04, 2012 07:43PM
I read a few reports and I don't see how it can't prove to be a great product. I'll try to run the pack down over the next 2 days.

Did you get your coil yet? I'm still waiting.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 06/04/2012 07:44PM by Rob (IL).

Posted by: supafly136
Date: June 04, 2012 09:42PM
would love to know how long a full charge lasts with boost on and light at max.

great post.

Date: June 04, 2012 10:07PM
I'll do that once I find out how long a pack will last under normal conditions. Is that how you run your V3i? Why do you run the back light at max? I'm just curious.

For you power fiends they will have a 2900 mah pack in a month or so.

Posted by: supafly136
Date: June 04, 2012 10:21PM
yes i run the gain at, or close to max whenever possible when hunting very mild fields, and almost always have tx boost on unless cleaning out shallow targets in parks and trashy areas before switching to super 12. and i max out the light on really sunny days.

Posted by: burlbark
Date: June 04, 2012 11:07PM
Rob (IL)
I read a few reports and I don't see how it can't prove to be a great product. I'll try to run the pack down over the next 2 days.

Did you get your coil yet? I'm still waiting.

No coil yet...but it does show shipped and is supposed to be here on the 8th. They have them back in stock you may need to give them a call, they forgot about me...:rolleyes:

I would really like one of these lithium packs and will have to see how the new etrac does before I invest any more money in the v3i. I am still looking for the best detector and have to rule out all the others except for those I cannot afford. I do have to say that the v3i has really grown on me and I have learned to use it to 90% of its potential. It seems every month I use it it gets better at pulling deep coins out and I have really learned to tune my ear into the sound. Those iffy signals one way, that are iffy at 90 degrees and as long as they pinpoint solid are usually good targets. Its like getting to start all over again...:clapping:

There have been times where I have hunted through the day using tx boost and have run the battery out in short order. I could use more run time. I keep the backlight at 1 most of the time.

Posted by: jmann
Date: June 05, 2012 12:57PM
Rob where did u get the batteries and whats the cost

De actavated at users request

Date: June 05, 2012 02:20PM
I got mine from the manufacture. They are having a sale on the charger and pack. Kellyco is also selling them but their package includes the car charger so the price is higher.

Posted by: stratv3i
Date: June 05, 2012 05:10PM
Hello everyone. This is my first post to the Find's Treasure Forums.

I was asked to post about my experience with the AW-2200, which I ran tests on recently.

My Review of AW-2200 Lithium Ion Battery

Recently I tried a new AW-2200 Lithium Ion battery in my V3i. Here are the results of my use of this new battery.

I kept a log of each time I used my V3i, and noted the battery voltage and time spent in the field detecting. Here are my notes....

All in all, I am very satisfied with this battery. The fact that I was able to run with this battery on my V3i for a full 12 plus hours was very impressive to me. This would be ideal for the beach, where you could run the detector for hours and hours without worrying about a recharge. If anyone on the forum needs more information about this, please feel free to send me a private message.

Happy Hunting!

Chris

Posted by: yazoo
Date: June 05, 2012 05:49PM
So far all data to me points to using 2 Whites battery packs for the money. That is my opinion. H.H. Yazoo

Posted by: RNB
Date: June 06, 2012 09:48AM
We Believe we Designed a Great Lithium-ion Batt Pack to Match the Extreme Technolgy that Whites put in to their Metal Detectors.............Here is a Pic in case you never seen one!

Date: June 06, 2012 09:26PM
FINISHED

RUN TIME TEST
Battery Charged and let sit for 5 days.
First hunt lasted 4.25 hours. The starting voltage was 12.51v. The ending voltage was 11.23 v.
Second hunt, 1 hour and 40 minutes. The starting voltage 11.23v. The ending voltage was 11.02 v.
Third hunt, 3 hour and 30 minutes. The starting voltage 11.02v. The ending voltage was 10.71 v.
Last run, 3 hours 3 minutes. The starting voltage 10.71. The ending voltage 9.1v just before dead.

Total time so far, 12 hours and 38 minutes.

These voltages were read from the V3i screen.

Posted by: Larry (IL)
Date: June 07, 2012 07:21AM
Rob, do you have any run time numbers on the factory battery pack?

Bells and whistles are nice, but nothing will substitute for the basic understanding of the hobby.

:minelab: CTX 3030, :whites: V3i, :whites: Pro XL :tesoro: Cibola/modified

Date: June 07, 2012 09:51AM
No I don't have run times on the factory pack. I usually ran my pack that had the 9 batteries. Now since everybody has a factory pack it would be interesting to have somebody spend the time to find the run time for the factory pack.

I have had a offer to test a factory heavy duty pack, when he gets it back from his buddy. If I get it I will run the Test.

It's been 8 days and after the initial .1v drop the AW2200 pack is holding steady. Oh, one interesting fact. One of the well know Whites gurus told me his DX1 starts to lose depth at around 9.2v. He says he starts to pick up more EMI. The AW2200 runs above 10v until the last 15minutes.

Tried to put the pack that's been sitting for 8 days on the charger. The charger still showed the green light.

Like all products I test I give the results. I don't tell you to run out and buy it. It has lived up to it's claims. Whites makes a super battery pack but it is a totally different battery science. You have my results you make your own decision.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 06/07/2012 11:23AM by Rob (IL).

Sorry, you can't reply to this topic. It has been closed.