Findmall.com

Spectra V3 / V3i / VX3 Forum

Welcome! Log In Register
RX and Disc
Posted by: Rob (IL)
Date: April 11, 2015 11:13AM
In response to a PM.

RX and Disc do not do the same tasks. The RX is a pre-amp that increases the incoming signal. The higher sensitivity setting improves target signals, but it also increases the amount of audio noise and can make “THE V” more “chattery.” This is especially true when EMI is present.

Disc is setting a threshold. You get the signal respond if it is above the threshold and not if it is below the threshold. Increasing the Disc lowers the threshold. This lets you hear weaker signals but also increases the amount of audio noise, and can make VX3 more chattery.

"Everyone has an opinion, but mine is free":devil:
"You might very well think that; I couldn't possibly comment..."

Re: RX and Disc
Posted by: liondogs
Date: April 12, 2015 03:25PM
Let me see if I got it correct. DISC adjusts the threshold LEVEL but the threshold adjustment under the audio adjustments only adjusts the VOLUME of the threshold signal. Is this correct?.

Also I wonder why Whites made increasing the DISC number causes the threshold level to decrease. It would seem it would be easier to remember if increasing the number increased the level.

Joe in Washington State

Detectors currently owned: Whites V3i, Whites MX Sport
Detectors I have owned: Jetco Mustang, Fisher F5, Fisher F75 LTD, Whites MX5, MXT All-Pro
Pinpointers: Whites TRX
Headphones: Whites Wireless, Koss QZ-99
Diggers: Lesche, Gator

Re: RX and Disc
Posted by: Rob (IL)
Date: April 12, 2015 04:03PM
These adjustments are made from the live control sensitivity button.

This threshold is not the audio threshold you hear. Disc sets a "threshold". The Disc threshold is the horizontal line you see in the drawing. Adjusting the Disc moves the line "threshold" up or down. Any signals above the line you will detect, any of the signal below the line you don't detect. Adjusting the disc with a higher number moves the Disc threshold down and the detector is more sensitive and will see smaller signals. Using a smaller Disc number you move the line up and you will detect less of the smaller signals but the V will be quieter.

Do you want it quieter and less sensitive or more noisey and more sensitive?

"Everyone has an opinion, but mine is free":devil:
"You might very well think that; I couldn't possibly comment..."

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 04/12/2015 04:08PM by Rob (IL).

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login