Findmall.com

Spectra V3 / V3i / VX3 Forum

Welcome! Log In Register
Depth how do you measure
Posted by: daddyflea
Date: November 09, 2015 10:19AM
I hear so much about Depth, but how do you measure?

For most people it is how deep in the ground do you find coins, but is this really fair to the detector. I have been hunting a place where there is Stubble created by a Shredder. This is not close cut leaving it 4-5 inches to the ground in a lot of places. I rarely find a coin deeper than 4 inches in the ground.

To keep my sanity I intentionally run my V3i pretty low to stop false blips and permit me to swing fast. This is Sen on 6 with Discr at about 80. I run Best Data with a DETECH 10X12 coil. This place is big so I need to cover ground.

I feel I am getting better than normal depth. I found about 5 coins my last outing and all were older than 1940. Two were Buffalo Nickels.

Minelab Etrac
Mars Pinpointer
Garrett Pro pointer (Carrot Stick)
DetectorPro Rattler Headphones
Coiltek 10X5 & 12X8 Coil
Sun Ray X-8 & X-12
Detech 6" Coil
Etrac Stock 11" Coil
Predator Tools 31c digger
Lesche digger
Lesche Heavyweight Mini Pick

Re: Depth how do you measure
Posted by: wasp
Date: November 09, 2015 12:22PM
I measure the depth in the ground plus the distance the coil is above the ground to find the actual depth the coil is reaching. Most areas I hunt in the summer don't have much grass or ground cover so depth in the ground is pretty accurate. In some areas that aren't mowed regularly (or at all) I can't get the coil close to the ground so adding the depth above ground seems a fair although subjective way of estimating the actual depth.

Some places have coins at 8" to 10" and some places, as you said, 4" or less. I nearly always crank up the sensitivity if conditions allow just to see if there is anything deeper then adjust accordingly and/or change coils.

BTW nice finds on those Buffaloes.

White's MX Sport w/stock 10" coil, 13" Ultimate, 950 Sport, 6x10 Sport, 7" Detech
White's V3i w/Super 12, D2, Eclipse 950, Eclipse DD, Eclipse 5.3, 4x6 Shooter, SEF 10x12 (white), SEF 6x8
White's DFX w/D2, Eclipse 950, SEF 10x12 (black), Sun Ray DX-1
Bounty Hunter Platinum w/stock coil
Bounty Hunter Time Ranger - 10", 8", 4" coils
Garrett Pro-Pointer, Lesche diggers
White's TRX

Posted by: PostalTwo
Date: November 23, 2015 02:22PM
I measure dirt depth only i do not include the grass

Posted by: cypearl
Date: April 17, 2016 05:15AM
Hi daddy flea, Have you tried filters? Depth meter not so important my opinion but filter will eliminate ground for false signals and will alow you to raise sensitivity for depth.

Posted by: Mike Hillis
Date: April 20, 2016 08:31AM
Detector depth is measured in the ground. Being able to tolerate a large air gap and still get maximum depth in the ground is a feature. I'm not sure the V3i has that feature.

HH
Mike

*****Fisher F75 LTD w/DST ***** Whites V3 ***** Teknetics G2+LTD ***** Tesoro NT Golden/Cleansweep combo *****Teknetics ETPro *****

*****Teknetics Omega 8500*****Tesoro Golden Sabre II with VDI & Histograph *****Tesoro Compadre *****

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login