Findmall.com

Spectra V3 / V3i / VX3 Forum

Welcome! Log In Register
Going from DFX to V3i
Posted by: emma
Date: June 28, 2017 06:13PM
Hi! After taking a 10 year break from raising a family, I have decided to hunt again and bought a v3i. Mind you I am only experienced in the dfx and all metal mode was my go to program for relic hunting. My question is, does this v3i work similar to that of the dfx when relic hunting in all metal....Will have the new machine delivered next Wednesday ... thank u in advance

Re: Going from DFX to V3i
Posted by: Zinc Penny
Date: June 30, 2017 01:57PM
You bought s great machine, honestly the V3i is quite w bit more advanced than the Dfx/XLT and does require more practice. The best way to learn the machine is to tinker with it with your ground and find the best settings. Once you learn it it's hands down the best detector on the market today

Posted by: Wayfarer
Date: June 30, 2017 03:03PM
I had a DFX before the V3i The V3i is actually very similar to the DFX in the way it works, it's just updated and improved with a third frequency, color screen, a lot more adjustments, but also a better faster user interface. If you are familiar with the DFX, the V3i should be very similar in "feel" and a relatively easy transition. The V3i is better than the DFX in every way (imho).

Current detectors: White's V3i, MXT, XL Pro
Past: White's XLT, 6000D Series 3, Coinmaster 2DB, Minelab CTX 3030, Fisher Gold Bug Pro

Posted by: emma
Date: June 30, 2017 07:56PM
Thank you everyone! I'll report back after I use the machine. You've given me hope that the learning curve isn't too mach further than the DFX. I thought the DFX was amazing!

Posted by: Blind Squirrel
Date: July 01, 2017 11:25AM
Howdy emma--

You will like the V3i. For relic hunting I hunt accepting all VDI #' s and ascribe zero tones to unwanted VDI's but use 3 frequency. I've dug eagle cuff buttons at 10". As with the DFX, the key adjustments are: discrimination, sensitivities, filters, and recovery speed / delay. Everything else you can customize to your ground and hunting style. Congratulations on your purchase and have fun! Best of luck and...

Happy Hunting!
Blind Squirrel

Posted by: MackDog
Date: July 01, 2017 05:44PM
Try the all metal mixed mode stereo. You get all metal in one ear and just discriminated in the other. It takes a bit to get used to but it wroks awesome when you have it down.

Posted by: markg
Date: July 13, 2017 08:55AM
One very important piece of advice, get a good ground balance before you start.
The V3i requires it to perform close to expected.
:twodetecting:

Posted by: Johnny Quattro
Date: August 29, 2017 12:26PM
Hey Emma,

I too had the DFX for years and it was great but the V3i is a definite upgrade. You'll find the threshold to be more stable right off the bat !
Don't be afraid to make adjustments as you can always reset everything you change. You're going to love it.
I highly recommend the 13" ultimate coil especially for deep relic hunting !!! Best of luck !

Is the V3i better in trash than the DFX? and deeper?
Posted by: Tony N (Michigan)
Date: September 26, 2017 03:43PM
Johnny Quattro
Hey Emma,

I too had the DFX for years and it was great but the V3i is a definite upgrade. You'll find the threshold to be more stable right off the bat !
Don't be afraid to make adjustments as you can always reset everything you change. You're going to love it.
I highly recommend the 13" ultimate coil especially for deep relic hunting !!! Best of luck !

Hi Johnny, my DFX has done some pretty amazing things allowing me to hear a good target in the midst of trash when I would use all metal.
I'm curious if the V3i is even better?

Re: Is the V3i better in trash than the DFX? and deeper?
Posted by: Johnny Quattro
Date: October 15, 2017 02:02PM
Well, they are both amazing machines but to answer your question,. Yes, in my opinion the V3i is better at Target identification information.
The most obvious way is being able to see which frequency is strongest helps i.d. the target. I purposely dig trash just to check and so far the V3i has been 100% correct. Also the filtering is excellent and threshold stability is superior !
One other cool thing is if you choose to hunt in single frequency for the best possible depth you can very quickly switch to 3-frequency to check which frequency is strongest. Good luck !!!!

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login