Welcome! Log In Register
Screw-top bottle caps
Posted by: Waterdog
Date: July 02, 2017 08:46PM
How can you eliminate or avoid screw-top bottle caps with a Spectra v3i

Re: Screw-top bottle caps
Posted by: Blind Squirrel
Date: July 03, 2017 12:52AM
Waterdog, that's a problem with an easy solution. Check the VDI of the offending screw cap and reject those VDI's. It's a solution that I try to avoid because by doing that I loose Indian Head cents and other desirable targets. But at some sites it is the only solution that I have found. It boils down to "trash tolerance". If there is only the occasional screw cap, I grit my teeth and hope that it is a good target and dig. - you never know until it's dug. On the other hand, I remember a site, about a half of a city block where there was an old speak easy or after hours bar that had been torn down. On EVERY swing of the coil I had 1 to 3 screw cap targets or other junk. It was unhuntable using my normal wide-open discrimination settings. Knowing that it was in a potentially very productive site, I rejected from positive 74 down and just searched for wheat cents and silver.I also switched to the 4x6 coil. In the course of several hunts I dug over 20 mercs, a few Walking Liberty Halves , silver quarters, some silver jewelery, and plenty of wheat's. I hate to use that much discrimination but some sites dictate that strategy. Best of luck and...

Happy Hunting!
Blind Squirrel

Date: July 03, 2017 01:53AM
Yes I have come across a area I want to search, but I can not move the search coil 6 inches and I have 4 hit of bottle caps. :veryangry:

Date: July 03, 2017 10:27AM
Waterdog, that sounds like the after-hours bar site that I referred too. The 4x6 coil is the best coil for that site. Additionally, I would use Correlate and either 10 or 12.5 filters and speed up the recovery delay to the 30 to 40 range. You also may consider increasing the bottle cap reject setting - that will eliminate the beer and soda bottle caps. . I'm sure that you know that an 80's VDI and is coin size that pinpoints with 7.5 or 22.5 frequency dominant will be trash. You didn't say, but I would suspect that you are using the D2 coil. If you are using the D2, that site will be a hard nut to crack. Best of luck and...

Happy Hunting!
Blind Squirrel

Date: July 03, 2017 10:42AM
yes I am using a D2 coil and I have noticed that when I get a possible coin hit and when I pull the trigger I get a stronger blue line, only to find a bottle cap.

Date: July 03, 2017 11:02AM
Increase your bottle cap reject setting. That will help. You might want to put the other setting adjustments that I mentioned on your Live Search Screen for fast one button adjustments. Best of luck and...

Happy Hunting!
blind Squirrel

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 07/03/2017 11:15AM by Blind Squirrel.

Re: Screw-top bottle capsN/T
Date: July 03, 2017 11:15AM

(This message does not contain any text.)

Posted by: Rob in (Ca)
Date: August 09, 2017 08:31PM
Im assuming Steel bottle caps and not the aluminum twist ones, the steel ones come in around the 70 - 80's, pull the pinpoint , if the green is the dominate

it will most likely be a coin, if blue is dominate it's most likely going to be a steel bottle cap

hunting in a infested steel bottle cap area, you might consider a conctric coil, as the double D coils love steel caps

On the aluminum twist caps come in at zinc I dig them because I'm after jewelry.

Jewelry Hunting The Sports fields & Beach's here in Long Beach ca,

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 08/09/2017 08:37PM by Rob in (Ca).

Date: August 09, 2017 11:10PM
Rob in (Ca), you are spot on in your advice to Waterdog. In my ground using the 6x10 DD coil or the 4x6 DD coil, when I encounter a plethora of steel bottle caps that here VDI at 82-84 with a flash of 91, I simply increase my bottle cap reject to 2 or 3. That solves the problem - I don't even hear a beep from those rotten things. Best of luck and...

Happy Hunting!
Blind Squirrel

Date: August 10, 2017 10:10PM
Thank you for the Information on this making my learning of this machine just a little easier :clapping:

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login