Findmall.com

Spectra V3 / V3i / VX3 Forum

Welcome! Log In Register
Abandoned House - Silver...
Posted by: Blind Squirrel
Date: August 09, 2017 11:46PM
Howdy--

It cooled off to the mid 90's and we have had a few days of rain. My hunting buddy Kenneth and I decided to partake in our quest to rescue silver from the bowels of Mother Earth. We drove around the older part of town and found an abandoned house - it had broken windows and the "lawn" was overgrown with weeds but there were a few clear spots. We decided to give it a try. We were not the first detectorists to swing a coil on this site. We both spotted old unfilled holes that were in key locations - likely path from the driveway to the front door and near a large tree. The previous detectorist must have used a lot of discrimination and was cherry picking the targets in the quarter - half range. We dug mostly memorials and a few clad dimes. Kenneth dug the oldest coin of the day, a 1916-D wheat cent. I pulled out 3 wheat cents - all in the 1950's. I was the lucky one to dig 3 silver dimes - a 1954-D, a 1920 merc, and a 1964-D. The non-coin keepers are two pendants, one appears to be gold plated , made in Germany with the infant Jesus in the center design and a Chicago Bears watch fob. Strange to find THAT here in the heart of Dallas Cowboy country hahah. Well, my wife's Father was from Chicago so she likes that find. I was using the 6x10 DD coil and Kenneth was using the 4x6 DD coil on our V's. Best of luck and...

Happy Hunting!
blind Squirrel

Re: Abandoned House - Silver...
Posted by: texjim
Date: August 10, 2017 03:40AM
Nice job on the finds...

Posted by: shafer44
Date: August 10, 2017 10:14AM
good finds. I still have not found a watch fob

Retired and "diggin' it"

Detectors: V3i (6-21-2013) 2nd V3i (11-15-2015)
coils: 4x6 eclipse, 6x10 eclipse, 9" spider eclipse, 10" D2, 13" Detech
Sunray DX-1 inline and Whites TRX pinpointers

Posted by: Waterdog
Date: August 10, 2017 10:23PM
Nice finds, and always welcome to find Silver.

Posted by: MANDAD76
Date: August 12, 2017 01:11PM
Nice finds and a good day huntin'....wtg!

Spectra V3i
BHID 300

Posted by: Töginger
Date: August 15, 2017 03:01AM
Hi Blind Squirrel, very nice coins! Finding a "Made in Germany" pendant is really unusual. This is Metal Detecting, unpredictable and interesting. Thanks for your story.

Best wishes, Jürgen

Date: August 19, 2017 08:41PM
Thanks Jimmy! I hope that you get out detecting soon and get your share of the goodies! Best of luck and...

Happy Hunting!
Blind Squirrel

Date: August 19, 2017 08:44PM
Thanks shafer44! Watch fobs are some of my favorite finds. Keep hunting the older home sites and you will get one - eventually. Best of luck and...

Happy Hunting!
Blind Squirrel

Date: August 19, 2017 08:47PM
Thanks Waterdog! Yes indeed, silver of ANY denomination or type IS always a welcome find. Best of luck to you and...

Happy Hunting!
Blind Squirrel

Date: August 19, 2017 08:52PM
Thanks MANDAD76! It sure was a fun day detecting. And having fun is what it's all about. Best of luck and...

Happy Hunting!
Blind Squirrel

Date: August 19, 2017 09:04PM
Hi Jurgen--

Thank you. Yes, detecting can yield some very interesting and unusual finds. Aside from coins from many different countries, I have been fortunate to dig other interesting items such as a table lighter that is marked "Made in Occupied Japan" and a nice silver ring marked " Made in West Germany". Also, Jurgen, thank you for that tip on cleaning common silver! Have you been doing any detecting? I always enjoy seeing your finds! Best of luck and...

Happy Hunting!
Blind Squirrel

Posted by: pulltab
Date: August 27, 2017 11:04AM
can't wait till i get some time off to hunt again god job

Date: September 15, 2017 03:01PM
Thanks pulltab! It's good to be working and making the cash but you know what they say: "all work and no play...". Seriously, I hope that you can get out swinging the coil! Best of luck and...

Happy Hunting!
Blind Squirrel

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login