Spectra V3 / V3i / VX3 Forum

Welcome! Log In Register
Re: Took out my new to me V3i
Posted by: Tony N (Michigan)
Date: November 10, 2017 04:08PM
Wayfarer
5900_XL-1
Wayfarer
A good way to set the filter for your particular soil conditions: First find a good isolated mid-depth target, 4-6" with a solid repeatable tone and ID. It doesn't matter what it is as long as it's non-ferrous, a pulltab works great for this, or a mid-depth penny. Then lower the RX gain waaay down to like 1-3, down the lowest you can go and still barely get a signal on the target. Then start trying the different filters and you will soon find a filter or two that works much better than the others. It doesn't so much matter between band pass and high pass, but the kHz matters a lot. I usually find that 5 works the best in my soil which is mild overall but high in iron.

In fact, using this method of finding a good solid mid-depth target, lowering your sensitivity way down, and then making adjustments is a good method for testing many adjustments on the V3i, like recovery speed, adn AC/DC sens, S.A.T. etc. You can learn a lot about your V3i by experimenting on "fringe" targets...that are only "fringe" because you've turned the gain way to down to make them fringe. The added benefit is, of course, that on normal gain settings you know exactly what the target is and how deep, and that the target is in undisturbed soil.

" Then lower the RX gain waaay down to like 1-3, down the lowest you can go and still barely get a signal on the target."

Question. What do you set the DS and AM values when you change RX drastically low? If it's different than a factory prog setting, then how is this values calculated for this test? Nobody has explained about this when they say drop the RX way low. Hopefully I will learn the answer here.

It doesn't matter. Once you lower the RX gain, you can leave the DS and AM sens at the factory settings. Works for me. All you really need to do is simulate a weak target, and reducing RX gain accomplishes that.

I did what you said to do during lunch today. I used the Ground Filter of 5.0Hz after lowering the Gain. I tested this on a 5" deep quarter. After doing this, I went to the coin garden and hit my 9+ inch deep penny and dime EASILY! And in fact, I was able to lift the stock coil above the ground at least 3 inches and still hit them with a digable signal! Wow!

My only problem is getting silver-like hits off of bent square cut iron nails or getting silver-like hits near other square cut iron nails.

Posted by: badlandsbilly
Date: November 12, 2017 12:08PM
Tony
I have found more gold jewelry with my V3i than all the detectors I've owned,learned and used in the last 20 plus years.
Once you learn the sounds it produces you'll up your gold finds dramatically.
badlandsbilly

Posted by: Tony (Michigan)
Date: November 12, 2017 12:46PM
badlandsbilly
Tony
I have found more gold jewelry with my V3i than all the detectors I've owned,learned and used in the last 20 plus years.
Once you learn the sounds it produces you'll up your gold finds dramatically.
badlandsbilly
Hey badlandsbilly, do you mostly detect in 22kHz for the gold?

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login