Findmall.com

Maps & Mapping Forum

Welcome! Log In Register
Screen capture tool for windows 7
Posted by: LabradorBob
Date: January 02, 2010 03:54PM
Here is a screen capture tool that will work with windows 7.

http://download.cnet.com/HetiSoft-heShot/3000-2192_4-10907217.html?tag=mncol

When downloading,be sure to check the box,display icon on desktop.
The program looks like this.

Once opened,click Capture.

Then click selection.The program goes away so you can make your capture.

Also notice you can hit F9 on the keyboard,and you don't have to click anything.
Drag from the upper left,to lower right then release the mouse button to make the capture.
it will show it in the program.
Just click file,save as,at the top.
when you save it will give you the option save as type,i like jpg.
give it a name,save to the directory of your choice.

LabradorBob

Re: Screen capture tool for windows 7
Posted by: silvereagle
Date: January 02, 2010 04:14PM
AWESOME!thanks again buddy,you are the man.

Posted by: fongu
Date: May 26, 2010 04:16PM
You're talking a foreign language to me, Bob. What is screen capture and what is it for. Any books or websites I can check out to help me understand this stuff. I know how to email and save a file and that's about it.

Posted by: PokerShark
Date: June 08, 2011 07:53PM
Bob, I'll take this one (time to put my techie hat on)

One of the problems we have as tech folks is "new speak" jargon we use when it comes to things most folks would understand if we just say what it really is.....for example a word processor is basically a typewriter. A very intelligent one, but a typewriter none the less. Bob is not trying to talk over anyones head he is just accustomed to the common term for this process. Let me put it another way......

What would you do if you had something on your computer screen you really would like to keep. I may be a document or a photo or just some information from a website you just found. Wouldn't it be nice if you could just photocopy the screen?? Don't laugh folks I saw a Realtor try to do exactly that with my own two eyes and nearly laughed myself to death. He had an old 14" monitor on the Xerox and was going to town with it!! After doing computer consulting for many real estate brokers over the years I have come to the conclusion that most are not the brightest bulbs in the pack by a long shot. Please note I didn't say ALL because some are brilliant, but rare. Anyway Bob is talking about a computer program that allows you to save or in effect "capture" what you see at that time on the screen. Thus it is called a Screen Capture program. The pictures Bob posted are in all likelihood screen captures Bob made using that program to show what it looks like.

Computers can do marvelous things and are actually quite friendly, but you must approach them patiently and from a position of authority - never in fear or loathing. In my 25+ years of supporting computers and the people that use them, I am yet to see a single person that has ever been bitten by an out of control wild computer, but you would think the bite all the time by the amount of undue fear they generate. Trust me if you give your computer a good whack right now it will not hit you back. Make friends with it and it will show you new worlds and ideas......I promise.

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 06/08/2011 08:00PM by PokerShark.

Date: June 09, 2011 07:22PM
Thanks Pokershark,For the reply.
Yes they are simple tools,you just click and drag to get a (Capture) of whatever you want.
The perfect tool for getting small parts of a map.
Or pictures you want to save off the internet.

Very handy!

LabradorBob

Missouri

Remember to keep those coil covers clean!
Go to the Maps and mapping forum here:
http://www.findmall.com/list.php?69

Date: June 14, 2011 04:25PM
Indeed they are. And thanks for your help here. This can be a tough subject, but this forum helps I have no doubt.

The Shark

Posted by: GoGoGopher
Date: June 16, 2011 04:42PM
I whacked my computer good once, and it gave me BSODs every time I booted it up afterwards...lol... :punch: :surrender:

HH,

Deactivated at users request 08/26/12

Date: June 17, 2011 10:16PM
But like I said, it didn't whack you back. :throw:

It just acted like a spoiled rotten appliance. I would give it a time out or send it to bed without power. :yikes:

The Shark

Posted by: muju
Date: July 27, 2011 05:20AM
thank u for info, but i'd recommend to use this prog http://www.geovid.com/Screen_VidShot/

Date: July 27, 2011 06:28AM
Sounds like it would be great for video!
I noticed requirements for the software do not go above Vista!
LabradorBob

Missouri

Posted by: Birdseed
Date: August 16, 2011 02:13AM
Maybe I'm on the wrong train but, I have just checked out on my laptop which has Windows 7 and I can invoke a screen capture simply by hitting Ctrl & Prt Sc keys simultaneously. This action then saves the current screen to the clipboard. The screen capture can then be pasted into Word, Paint, an email or any number of other software packages. This has worked with all versions of Windows that I have used. See below.

Peter - VK7PL
Legana Tasmania
Sovereign GT, Safari, SD-2000 and a ProPointer
2 Home built IBs

Date: August 16, 2011 07:03AM
Yes,but most of the time i do not want the whole screen! Just a small part of a map to overlay on G.E.
Thus the screen capture tool.

From a map like this.

I may only want a piece like this to overlay

LabradorBob

Missouri

Posted by: Birdseed
Date: August 16, 2011 07:43AM
OK
I should have read your posts a little more clearly. The Software you suggest looks very interesting.
I sometimes overlay scans of very old maps over screen shots from google earth to locate old mine dumps and the like.
You may have made it much easier for me

Thanks

Pete

Peter - VK7PL
Legana Tasmania
Sovereign GT, Safari, SD-2000 and a ProPointer
2 Home built IBs

Date: August 16, 2011 08:20AM
You are welcome pete,i find that i use the screen capture tools all the time
getting small clips from photo's.
Even pieces of text to send someone,or part of a photo.

Best of luck,
LabradorBob

Missouri

Posted by: merry334
Date: August 25, 2011 03:07AM
Yeah, your post is very useful to others, but I'm used to capturing video in my way. The screen recorder I used can help me record windows 7 screen with high quality. It can not only help me capture whatever streaming video and audio files on win7 screen, it also can help me save the file as standard video format file, so you will be able to enjoy it on your portable equipment.

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login