Findmall.com

Maps & Mapping Forum

Welcome! Log In Register
Android app for metal detecting
Posted by: GoVidGo
Date: October 12, 2011 10:23PM
I have a FREE Android app that's called GPS Essentials that I use a lot when metal detecting.

It pretty much gives a Google map of where you are and lets you pick 8 'criteria boxes' to also put on your screen, as you can see by the pic I posted. Took a picture of my Samsung Fascinate running it. I have the Google map on 'streets' but there is also a 'terrain' toggle that lets you show a look down of the terrain you are on.

On the pic you can see I picked some criteria I use a lot like: lat., long., time., target, sunset.
... and a few others I used as filler that I really don't pay attention too like bearing, altitude, location provider. There's like 50 to choose from, and some really off the wall!

It's awesome because you can then hit a 'waypoint' button and it will save the GPS location of where you are at on your map to go back later. Good for marking locations of spots you like. You also have a 'tracks' button that will keep track of where you were and plot your course that you took to get there.

As long as someone gives you the GPS coords to a location you can put them in under 'target' and it will guide you there!

I attached a link to a video...

...that a guy put on YouTube. Asyou can see, he put in the GPS coords of the 'lost town near Pittsburgh. Took me right there!

it's a great app!

Re: Android app for metal detecting
Posted by: LabradorBob
Date: October 16, 2011 06:58AM
Awesome,Thanks,very useful info!

Missouri

Remember to keep those coil covers clean!
Go to the Maps and mapping forum here:
http://www.findmall.com/list.php?69

Posted by: prankster2u
Date: April 23, 2012 03:21PM
VERY COOL APP. GOING TO CHECK IT OUT. THANKS

Posted by: Bill_Ace_350
Date: May 20, 2012 07:44PM
I like it too. Like that you can choose from different coordinate systems. I like the UTM and MGRS.

Posted by: William-NM
Date: May 21, 2012 10:45AM
I've been using BackCountry Navigator Pro (9.95) for a while and like it a lot, too. The ArcGIS topos are pretty good and free, as are the USGS aerials, Open Streetmaps, etc. I also bought the AccuTerra topos for it. I just have to remember to download the areas I need before heading out, as my tab is WiFi only, don't want another data plan. I also use Google Maps which gives spoken turn by turn directions, even out to some remote ghost town sites and old mining camps, etc.

I installed GPS Essentials, too- still checking it out, looks good so far.

By the way, I use NoteSync to keep my notes synchronized between my pc, tablet, and google docs automatically. So, if I take the tab to the library and add or edit notes, they get automatically synced with google docs and my home computer or vice versa. It's still fairly basic, not much formatting capability, but hopefully they'll add features as time goes on.

Now, if only I could find a program to do that with waypoints between the pc, tab, and my Garmin Oregon GPS, I'd be in heaven! (I export and import across them, but sometimes I add info into the Garmin while on a hunt and other times I add things on the home pc or tablet, can get confusing.)

William in Sunny SW New Mexico
Garrett AT Gold & AT Pro, Garrett Pro-Pointers, Lesche & Fiskar's Diggers, Garmin Oregon 450 GPS, ASUS Tablet (Great Topos!)
To paraphrase Thomas Jefferson: I believe in luck, and the more I dig, the luckier I get.
note to self: It's only a hobby, It's only a hobby, It's only a ....

Posted by: cassidy390
Date: September 22, 2012 03:00PM
Thanks for the link I really like it

Posted by: SnoopDawg
Date: November 22, 2012 09:57AM
wow, killer app

Posted by: Dirt.Is.Good.4U
Date: December 06, 2012 05:56AM
Will definitely check it out.

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login