Findmall.com

Garrett Scorpion Forum

Welcome! Log In Register
Scorpion Is A Good Choice For Meteorite Hunting
Posted by: John-Edmonton
Date: April 13, 2010 12:05AM
I went and picked up some meteorite fragments last year. These were collected from China, http://www.mindat.org/loc-11478.html Some meteorites are worth a lot more then platinum and are well sought after. The best type of detector for hunting meteorites has always been a gold metal detector. A lot of the other ones simply won't pick them up. The ACE would only pick up a large piece with the sniper coil at about 1/2". The GTI 1500 zero discrimination/standard imaging coil wouldn't pick it up and the GTI 2500 would barely pick it up in true all metal mode/standard imaging coil. but the Garrett Scorpion Gold Stinger gave a nice loud, clear signal 4-5 inches with the standard 5" x 10" DD coil.

So, the Garrett Scorpion Gold Stinger is a gold finder, a coin finder and a meteorite finder too!

Did you know that one of the best places to find meteorites is in a farmers rock pile? He put in all that work gathering those rocks to one central location, and he just might have a nice meteorite sitting in there.

Re: Scorpion Is A Good Choice For Meteorite Hunting
Posted by: Joel-Winnipeg
Date: April 13, 2010 08:24AM
John is correct on those rock piles for meteorites.
When I was younger working on the farms I remember when we picked rocks in the fields we'd come across those real heavy
brown ones with shiny undulated surfaces..
When we threw them on the rock piles they would sound metallic (Hammer on anvil sound )
In those days never associated them to be a meteorite.
Definitely a good location for those finds.

We act as though comfort and luxury
were the chief requirements of life
when all we need to make us really happy
is something to be enthusiastic about.
___ Charles Kingsley___

Posted by: old lineman
Date: April 13, 2010 08:57AM
The first two I found were with a scorpion in gold basin arizona

Here's a iron siderite
Posted by: Bugar In. USA
Date: April 13, 2010 10:16AM
From New Mexico, the Scorp hits on it in disc at 3" and in All metal at 4", it weigh 0.6 gram , or 10 grain, purty small, yeah and that's with the small Scorp coil.
Ya oughta hear it hit on my meteorite that weighs in at 5.33 oz. or151.3 gram, OH YEAH, they gud on meteorites, WOOO Hoooo:detecting: Big -5 x 10 coil hits on it at around 20", they FINE detectors:garrett:

Re: Here's a iron siderite
Date: April 13, 2010 11:42AM
Thanks Bugar! Are you a collector of meteorites? If you don't have a Nanton meteorite, email me you adrress and I'll send you one.

Date: April 13, 2010 11:43AM
Got any pics of them?

pics
Date: April 13, 2010 12:38PM
Here's a couple i still got, the university of Miami had them for 2 yrs, cut slices off, and never could tell what metal/iron they were or what planet they came from, the smaller one seems pure steel-or??? the 3 pounder is really weird, looks stone but is iron of some type, got these from a mountaintop around 9,000 ft in New Mexico while relic hunting few years back, I don't actually collect them, it is just that I found them, like most beep and dig things i get or stumble upon, and like alla my stuff, I like em, i gave some to a friend while back.:garrett:

:surprised: Wow! That Is A Huge One! Thanks For The Pics:thumbup:N/T
Date: April 13, 2010 02:18PM

(This message does not contain any text.)

Date: April 14, 2010 08:37AM
I do but I had a hard time posting them the last time I tried. any help would be appreciated.

Date: April 14, 2010 10:00PM
I finally figure how to post pictures. The picture on the left is the meteorites I found with the scorpion. The one on the right is all of my meteorite finds the largest being 474 grams, the smallest is 2.6 grams, the one on the necklace. Thanks for looking.

Date: April 15, 2010 08:39AM
Very NICE-congrats:detecting:

Re: ThanksN/T
Date: April 15, 2010 09:00AM

(This message does not contain any text.)

Posted by: metalhead
Date: April 15, 2010 10:58AM
Awesome!:thumbup:

The only thing that I hate more than digging pulltabs is missing a gold ring!

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login