Findmall.com

Garrett Scorpion Forum

Welcome! Log In Register
FIRST SILVER
Posted by: moondog2000
Date: July 14, 2011 12:29AM
I'm going to camp at South Carlsbad state beach for a week so I was getting my scorp ready, new batterys and a wipe down. I took it out in my front yard which I have detected the heck out of just to see if I could find anything. I got a hit in the strip of dirt between the lawn and the hedge and at a solid 10" I dug up my first silver. yup , going to put this little beauty in a display case. Seeing that I will be keeping it forever I wonder if I should polish it ? I can hardly wait to get to the beach to start detecting, hope I find my first diamond ring. I'm planing on detecting at night when the tide goes out and exposes all that wet sand. I hope I can find a mode that will work, maybe TR disc. If not I have the dry sand during the day.hope I find some good loot to post pictures of.

Mike

Re: FIRST SILVER
Posted by: Exploreman
Date: July 14, 2011 10:29PM
Hi Mike,

That quarter in the picture is a 1967, and the last year for silver coins was 1964 !!!!!

Ed

Date: July 14, 2011 11:22PM
Well, don't I feel real stupid right now, like a first class idiot. thank you for pointing this out to me.I wonder if there is a way to pull this post so I don't have to keep looking at how stupid I am. I don't do much with coins so I didn't know 1964 is the last year for silver. The brown patina on the coin hid the side so I did not see the copper. I need to stick to prospecting but then again maybe all my gold is fools gold. now to find a rock to crawl under.

Mike

Posted by: Salida
Date: September 01, 2011 01:32PM
Don't feel bad. I've been fooled more than a few times.
Salida

Date: September 01, 2011 11:07PM
Thanks for the encouragement, I still cringe every time I look at the post.

Mike

Posted by: Electric Elvis
Date: October 16, 2011 12:36PM
Dont worry bro !! we ALL had to learn this fact !! when you DO find your first silver carefull how you clean it...you could de-value it ! ...Elvis

Date: October 23, 2011 11:19PM
Thanks for the encouragement, I'll still be glad when this post gets buried. Mike

Mike

Posted by: croakersmoker78
Date: November 04, 2011 09:54AM
Same here I thought I had silver many times that was not.

Date: November 04, 2011 08:08PM
The patina on the coin sure looked silver , I mostly prospect and relic hunt with the scorp so its going to be a long time before I coin hunt again. After our yearly caravel the people with detectors looked like ants all over the field. I did not know there were so many detectorists living in my small town.

Mike

Posted by: BigCatDaddy
Date: December 23, 2011 11:27AM
When you do fiand a silver coin, and you will, it will be silver, pretty much like the day it was lost, and not brown. That brown color is the nickle clad coat oxidizing.

Date: December 23, 2011 12:44PM
Thanks, good info to know. Have a Merry Christmas. Mike

Mike

Posted by: banditicey
Date: January 19, 2012 07:51PM
Hello

It has happened to all of us

You will find your first Silver and almost always it comes out clean and shiny

My eyes need reading glasses now so I prefer finding Mercs to Rosey's and that makes it easy

When I found my special Silver coins (Seated, Barber and War Nickels) I did not know what they were

You will learn it as you go and be kind to yourself and Best Luck with your future hunts

Date: January 20, 2012 12:16AM
Thanks for the encouragement,But here in So-Cal I don't think there is a lot of silver.

Mike

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login