Findmall.com

Minelab E-Trac Classroom Forum

Welcome! Log In Register
Re: E Trac and relics
Posted by: flashs
Date: December 01, 2012 07:42PM
Multiple Conductive... I think it means hunting with the NUMBER OF TONES set to MULTI in the audio settings. And in the audio settings open up TONE ID and then set it to CONDUCT as well. When set this way it will give you a different tone for every object your discriminate setting will allow, with the frequency of the tone being determined by the second (conductive) number in your display. Lower frequency for lower numbers, higher frequency for higher numbers. I think most coin hunters more or less use this most of the time under normal hunting conditions.

Posted by: stasys
Date: December 03, 2012 02:56AM
flashs
I did try it in auto, and also in manual from 16 all the way on up to max. Made no difference no matter what it was set on. The one thing I didn't think to try was 1 tone...that just might be the best idea yet. It never crossed my mind to use that after I tried a wide-open Quick Mask and still could not read the target. I will try that the next time I can get back down there to hunt. I've been hunting coins and relics for over 40 yrs. and that is the first time I ever encountered anything even close to what was happening. I truly thought that the machine was busted! But the next day I hunted here close to home and it worked just fine in TTF, and in my custom coins mode. It still has me dazed and confused, it was a reality check...not often that someone puts the E Trac to shame! It is a great machine in most of the areas that I hunt.
Flashs make simple air test and you will see what is going on wit your Etrac, from my experience tone one with respond Long or smooth is deeper then in pinpoint, but very little.

Posted by: lonewolfe
Date: June 08, 2013 12:07AM
I know I'm a little late on this one but just in case the OP is still here and hasn't figured it out yet

OP

the guys in VA mostly use PI machines as the ground in that area of the country is well known to be some of the worst soil you can hunt in the US and almost nothing punches through it except the PI machines

Posted by: david bull
Date: October 28, 2015 10:29AM
I hunt an area with this devil dirt and what I have learned is that you can pretty much forget the tones.Anything beyond three inches is going to sound like iron until you uncover the target.If you hunt this ground with an Etrac waiting for a high tone squeal,you will miss more than you will find.

Posted by: jc1965
Date: March 16, 2016 08:23AM
Been there , done that. Its defiantly the bad ground. Keep the etrac in pinpoint and dig dig dig

Posted by: jd88047
Date: April 07, 2017 03:48AM
I have learned more in the 2 minutes it took to read your post since I started with the Etrac a month ago. I have come to many of the same conclusions. I do better with manual sens, and pinpoint mode will pick up targets you are walking over. I was not aware of Tone1. I will be trying it out. I am glad I didnt sell my F75 now. I live in the southwest and have hunted clay bottoms or the Rio. You have explained a lot of what I was seeing. Clay is bad lol. One thing I didnt see mentioned was coil selection. I am going through a few coils to find the best one for my hunts. Air test seem silly as I dont get much air testing inside the house. I think I made a good investment with the Etrac.

Posted by: nge
Date: April 18, 2017 09:55PM
I live in Michigan, so very few problems with mineralized soil here. But I do (short of a dedicated P.I. Machine) own one of the best relic machines out there, the venerable Fisher 1266-X's. Awesome if you want Iron relics. I dug a silver dollar at 15" in mild soil, I was out with it today and was digging medium pieces of iron at 12". I do not know how it reacts to mineralized soils but, I did hunt the Iroquois trail and Round top in Upstate N.Y. around Endicott area. NGE

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login