Findmall.com

Minelab E-Trac Classroom Forum

Welcome! Log In Register
Re: Non-repeatable signals at 90 degrees. Junk?
Posted by: Ohio Digger
Date: November 06, 2014 02:40PM
My last video actually has a dig from the park where I could only get a high tone in one direction and nulled in the other. It did sound to sweet to walk away from so I dug it. First try was nothing but iron. I almost walked away at that point but it still sounded too good so I re-pinpointed about 5" to the side and got a nice 1907 Barber dime. Not that deep either because I think the iron hid it from the other detectors that have pounded that park for 30 years.

Minelab Etrac- 11" Pro coil, 8x6 SEF coil, 15" WOT, 13" Ultimate, Sunray X5 coil, Sunray X-1 inline probe, Garrett ProPointer
Check out my YouTube channel - Ohio Digger

Posted by: EtracTom-AdirondacksNY
Date: May 27, 2015 12:51PM
First time I got a signal like this I decided to dig it and was rearded with my first standing liberty quarter. I'm with Goes4Ever it don't hurt to dig them to see what may happen if they sound too good. Better than walking away and always wondering.

I like to mostly so as to not run out of spots to hunt too fast I dig most all signals and sometimes have been pleasantly surprised. You never know what may be masked or deeper once you clear out the junk.

Posted by: w1945
Date: December 19, 2016 02:57AM
I hit two target's yesterday. Good signal both directions. Hit the Quick Mast and still good. So I am digging like a Armadillo. Retrieved two 30-06 shell casings. Some times you just have to dig it period.

Posted by: daddyflea
Date: December 19, 2016 09:18AM
Get two nails and lay them down on the ground. Put the heads facing each other. Now put a Coin between them. Check I this signal all 4 directions. You will get a null as you pass over the nails first. Turn at a 90 and hit the Coin at the same time as the nails and you get a nice tone. This test really opens your eyes. I open up to 23 ferrous myself and I always dig nice one way signals.

Minelab Etrac
Mars Pinpointer
Garrett Pro pointer (Carrot Stick)
DetectorPro Rattler Headphones
Coiltek 10X5 & 12X8 Coil
Sun Ray X-8 & X-12
Detech 6" Coil
Etrac Stock 11" Coil
Predator Tools 31c digger
Lesche digger
Lesche Heavyweight Mini Pick

Posted by: Explorer.se
Date: March 16, 2017 10:10AM
Ohio Digger
My last video actually has a dig from the park where I could only get a high tone in one direction and nulled in the other. It did sound to sweet to walk away from so I dug it. First try was nothing but iron. I almost walked away at that point but it still sounded too good so I re-pinpointed about 5" to the side and got a nice 1907 Barber dime. Not that deep either because I think the iron hid it from the other detectors that have pounded that park for 30 years.

Which coil do you like better for depth and separation between the WOT and the Ultimate?

Date: March 16, 2017 10:20AM
Explorer.se
Ohio Digger

Which coil do you like better for depth and separation between the WOT and the Ultimate?

Sorry for butting in here but I am going to anyway. Leave those big Coils alone. For what little bit of extra depth you get, you lose many targets due to separation. I use a Sun Ray 8 almost exclusively now and I challege anybody to out hunt me with a big Coil in any kind of Park. Have not tried the Minelab 8" but I am willing to bet it is almost a clone of the Sun Ray or Vis Versa. Another choice would be the Coiltek 10X5, which is an excellent Coil.

Minelab Etrac
Mars Pinpointer
Coiltek 10X5 & 12X8 Coil
Sun Ray X-8 & X-12
Detech 6" Coil
Etrac Stock 11" Coil
Lesche digger

Posted by: roadapple
Date: March 16, 2017 09:53PM
Sun Ray 8 is much better than the Minelab 8.

Date: March 18, 2017 05:57PM
roadapple
Sun Ray 8 is much better than the Minelab 8.

Just to be safe I bought two when I bought my Sun Ray

Minelab Etrac
Mars Pinpointer
Coiltek 10X5 & 12X8 Coil
Sun Ray X-8 & X-12
Detech 6" Coil
Etrac Stock 11" Coil
Lesche digger

Date: March 21, 2017 01:33PM
daddyflea
Explorer.se
Ohio Digger

Sorry for butting in here but I am going to anyway. Leave those big Coils alone. For what little bit of extra depth you get, you lose many targets due to separation. I use a Sun Ray 8 almost exclusively now and I challege anybody to out hunt me with a big Coil in any kind of Park. Have not tried the Minelab 8" but I am willing to bet it is almost a clone of the Sun Ray or Vis Versa. Another choice would be the Coiltek 10X5, which is an excellent Coil.

Ok I hear you. I inherited one when I bought my E trac and I cant get used to it. Yes I had problems with separation. I have a 13" Ultimate for my Explorer SE but I can also use it on my E Trac. I hear you Daddyflea. Thanks!

Posted by: nge
Date: April 18, 2017 10:27PM
What's wrong with the 11" Pro coil that came with your Etracs? I got a special program and pattern from a good friend and hunting partner. Sorry I am sworn to secrecy, as it took him about 6 months of tweaking both. I now look for hunted out places that have tons of DEEP trash. I can pick a silver dime down to 14" mixed in with nails, screw caps, pull tabs, etc. etc. I am NOT using TTF, but can hear the "calliope" that seems to be trapped in my machine. And I can visually and audibly pick the coins out of the trashy mess. After I get the coin out, I remove all the trash..........NGE

Date: April 21, 2017 07:23AM
nge
What's wrong with the 11" Pro coil that came with your Etracs? I got a special program and pattern from a good friend and hunting partner. Sorry I am sworn to secrecy, as it took him about 6 months of tweaking both. I now look for hunted out places that have tons of DEEP trash. I can pick a silver dime down to 14" mixed in with nails, screw caps, pull tabs, etc. etc. I am NOT using TTF, but can hear the "calliope" that seems to be trapped in my machine. And I can visually and audibly pick the coins out of the trashy mess. After I get the coin out, I remove all the trash..........NGE

Yes I use the 11" coil and its great I just like to have other coils to go to so I can rehunt areas around me. I agree with you I remove all trash as well I don't want to re-detect anything as my time spent hunting in the field is precious to me.

Date: April 21, 2017 07:28AM
nge

11" Coil is a bear to Pinpoint with and due to its size it blemds trash with treasure. Makes ID tough. It is not the coil but the size that is the problem. Try a Sunray 8" for a while then tell me you love the 11".

Minelab Etrac
Mars Pinpointer
Coiltek 10X5 & 12X8 Coil
Sun Ray X-8 & X-12
Detech 6" Coil
Etrac Stock 11" Coil
Lesche digger

Non-repeatable signals at 90 degrees. Junk?
Posted by: Rich (Utah)
Date: April 27, 2017 12:08AM
Very wise comment.

ironsight
In this day and age, with all these metal detectors around, you have to go well beyond the casual 'week-end' detectorists, push the envelope and dig, dig, dig.
Then after a while, after all that arm aching digging of junk and treasure, one day you will suddenly realize that you have become one with your eTRAC.

enjoying the vistas and horizons of the Old West.

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login