Findmall.com

Minelab E-Trac Classroom Forum

Welcome! Log In Register
E-Trac settings
Posted by: WV62
Date: July 18, 2017 07:14AM
Here is the settings I loaded into my E-Trac and all seems to be good but I don't seem to be getting a lot of depth even when air testing. I went to the goes4ever sight and copied these settings.
Any suggestions to get some more depth?

Ron in WV

E-Trac Goes4ever settings
Sensitivity Auto +3
Threshold level just barely audible 26
Volume limit 29
Volume Gain 29
Response Normal
Tone ID Multi
Sounds Conductive
Variability 29
Threshold pitch 28-29 (makes silver scream out)
Deep off
Fast on
Trash high
Ground difficult
Note noise cancel at every site, now only if getting inference

Worked and lived in the Huntington West Virginia area all my life, retired 2010
US Air Force Vietnam Veteran (68-69 & 70-71)
Started getting into metal detecting around 1975

Re: E-Trac settings
Posted by: sprchng
Date: July 20, 2017 09:57PM
I would suggest playing with the threshold pitch and nickels if you are interested in gold items. Everyone's ears hear a bit different and i find the setting you are showing to be create too much distortion The silver warble is basically distortion. At threshold 22-24 I find nickels and gold takes on a special sweet and distinctive tone while the silver and other high conductors retain enough of their high pitch sound to unmistakable and easy to pick up.

From a tonal perspective I think the threshold pitch is the best feature of the etrac when it comes to learning the language for identification of targets. It deserves some special attention to tune it to your specific hearing.

Posted by: IDXMonster
Date: July 27, 2017 07:05PM
The two biggest things you can do to help see targets that are deeper WHERE CONDITIONS ALLOW....larger coil or more manual Sensitivity. Places with many targets will be more difficult to get depth in simply because of other junk targets detracting from the machines ability to single out good targets below all the garbage. Expecting to see a 9" dime in a place that is horribly contaminated is not going to be a realistic goal.
Good location
Larger coil
Manual Sensitivity as high as possible without falsing while the machine is sitting still

Posted by: sd51
Date: August 09, 2017 04:17PM
Which discrimination pattern are you using? A deep coin will most likely not give you a Ferrous reading around 12. It can be in the low 20s. Also, try turning on the Recovery Deep ON and the Recovery Fast OFF.

Date: August 09, 2017 04:23PM
Also do your ground balance every time you turn on the E-Trac and do it with the coil on the ground. Also do it again about every half hour. The noise cancel is not intended to just pick up EMI, it also looks at the minerals in the ground and selects which channel will work best in that particular piece of ground. The E-Trac has the ability to use 28 frequencies but each of the channels only use 3 of the 28 frequencies.

Date: August 09, 2017 04:29PM
Sorry, called the noise cancel ground balance , my mistake...

Posted by: 5900_XL-1
Date: August 09, 2017 05:29PM
I don't NC each time. Mine stays stable about any channel, predominitely 6-9. However, I will NC in the field if I have any doubts. So far, the Etrac usually settles to 6 to 9 and I like 6 so that's my goto channel. I read a post once where it was suggested using 2-6 or 9 so I don't use 8. My hunt buddy, a KILLER FBS deep silver hunter, likes 11. He's always on 11.

A mystery, new-hunt spot....I'll maybe do a NC if it seems unstable in the least. I am prone to re-hunt many of my old spots though. Texas clay :-(

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 08/09/2017 05:34PM by 5900_XL-1.

Posted by: mascard1
Date: August 23, 2017 07:56AM
I have dug a lot of wheats in the teens with Ferris number at 1..........DEEP !!!

sd51
Which discrimination pattern are you using? A deep coin will most likely not give you a Ferrous reading around 12. It can be in the low 20s. Also, try turning on the Recovery Deep ON and the Recovery Fast OFF.

Posted by: WV62
Date: October 15, 2017 06:08PM
sd51

Andy S or QuickMask with the bottom blanked out up to line 28.

Also I am learning to trust the tones over the meter numbers.

Worked and lived in the Huntington West Virginia area all my life, retired 2010
US Air Force Vietnam Veteran (68-69 & 70-71)
Started getting into metal detecting around 1975

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login