Findmall.com

Whites TDI Classroom

Welcome! Log In Register
Re: TDI Signal Chart
Posted by: Reg
Date: April 25, 2017 02:13PM
In April 2008, I tested a GS 5 which I had just added something new, a conductivity switch to a detector before the TDI existed. The TDI is patterned after the GS 5.

Now, go to the Technology forum and search for the following "a walk in a park" and make sure to use all dates.

What you will find is several postings of coins found with that GS 5 plus a basic list of all junk items found. What you will note is I found literally dozens of old coins, a large gold ring and almost no junk. All of those coins were taken from an area hunted to death with VLF's.

Simply put, I found everything from Indian Head pennies to barber dimes from an area beat to death.

A few years later after the SL came out, I met a guy using a CTX3030 at that same park. He was curious how well a PI did so I offered to loan him my SL. Prior to using the SL, he had hunted an hour or so with the ML and had found nothing old. Well, within 30 minutes or so, that same guy found not one but two Barber dimes with the PI.Oh yeah, he found almost no trash with the PI.

Today, the TDI series is still my go to machine when hunting old areas.

Reg

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 04/25/2017 02:16PM by Reg.

Posted by: amberjack
Date: April 26, 2017 12:49AM
why didn't the ctx work ?

AJ

Posted by: barbecued scallops
Date: April 26, 2017 04:13AM
J.D
Thanks Reg for posting this ...in my honest opinion with many many years of metal detecting experience ...I think using the tdi in the park is really not a practical way to go at all ...there are many better choices than the tdi am I wrong (please feel free to correct me)..I know that this the tdi classroom but please one needs to understand that trash tolerance will be really tested when using the tdi in a trash infested park and just wondering if you yourself use this method....Although once again I thank you for putting up the graph for us to see and I really appreciate your effort...I just feel with the minelabs and the deus,s and nokta,s and all the other superb detectors made for park hunting are very good at discriminating these days and when compared to them why would one even bother to use the tdi for this purpose I feel that that it would be way too impractical and too complex with way way too many setting variables for such use.i hope I have not offended in any way as this is in no way my intention ..its just my 2 cents worth ..... once again I thank you Reg definitely great reading.....Thank you sir

Do you have a TDI? Go to a park of your choice. Make these your settings: GEB min, pulse min (10us), gain half. Put conductivity switch on high. Dig all repeatable signals and watch as the coins appear before your eyes.

Posted by: J.D
Date: April 26, 2017 07:39AM
Sure do own a tdi pro ..i like the way you explained that barbecue scallops ...I will give it a go for sure as many others will also ....nice clear cut instructions . My gain won't go up that far I will only get 3rd of the way on gain around parks (my tdi doesn't have the mods so I can't turn it up much).I am still waiting for instructions on how to do the mods by anybody who is generous enough to share them...Will it still work .But I have an etrac - goldbug pro- Excalibur...and owned and sold many other detectors over my 25 years of metal detecting and if you think that it will be better at discriminating than these hmmmm....Im having a lot of difficulty accepting it.Perhaps some other people might .
How would you tell the difference between different coins made of different metals I don't think it has enough tones and there is no screen or numbers ..just want to know how it's done.
Why don't you guys make a video on this method so we can all see what can be achieved .Also compare it with the minelab explorer etrac or ctx3030 or any Vlf that has discrimination with number ID at least ... .A lot of poeple would benefit from it. :closedeyes:

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 04/26/2017 07:40AM by J.D.

Posted by: Jim in Idaho
Date: April 26, 2017 08:05AM
JD, I think you're missing the point. It isn't about great discrimination, it's about depth. Say you've gone over your local park, and many others have as well. You feel it's cleaned out down to about 8". The TDI's can take that depth down to 10 or 12", or deeper. You might have to dig some trash to get those deep coins. And, you might not tell a deep penny from a nickel, but you're still recovering coins from a hard-hunted area. Maybe at the current state of technology, you can't have great discrimination and great depth...who cares?
jim

Posted by: TabWhisperer
Date: April 26, 2017 04:41PM
amberjack
why didn't the ctx work ?

AJ

I'm the guy Reg is talking about. The CTX "worked". It would just null around the thousands of rusty nails and miss the silver and other co-located high conductivity targets. I still found run of the mill clad. But this was almost what I would consider a ghost town type of challenge with the amount of nails and other scrap metal. This was in a city park that used to have a wooden carousel and vending stands a hundred years ago. I wasn't really fully aware of that history until I met Reg there with his TDI SL. I have to admit the first 5 minutes were little disorienting with the TDI SL and I was expecting traditional high tone/low tones of VLFs. It was the very first time I ever picked up a PI machine and had never considered one for coin hunting. My best advice is get that VLF mode out of your head and just go with it. Reg is on YT as lazyprospector with a Basic Whites TDI video covering the simple settings you want to start with. You will find coins give a nice round two way sound and some junk will sound only one direction. Most junk will not sound. You will skip over foil and tabs. With those basic settings you will miss nickels and gold. But zinc on up will sound off. After a while you will begin to get a feel for how deep targets are. The TDI goes deep for coins too. I loaned my TDI SL to another guy and he dug a clad quarter at 12 inches. So much for the fallacy of coins only sinking to 5-7 inches deep. Granted it depends on a lot of other factors but it does happen and that is about where we find older coins around here at least in older city parks. Also on surface targets lift your coil several inches. Junk will stop sounding and good targets will still give a good two way tone. Nails situated vertically will sound like a clean signal and you will eventually dig some of those. Don't forget to rotate your swing 90 degrees if you are not sure. As far as coils go I would recommend using a mono coil. I found the stock Whites 12 inch coil hard to use for coins. Something around an 8x12 mono should be good but your mileage may vary. I know Paul has a wide selection of TDI coils and he can give you better information than me. Well Reg too, obviously.

As a side comment it was funny when I found one dime then the other within the first 5 or 10 minutes and about 10 feet from each other. A 1906 and 1907. Reg had told me a little bit before how he and his buddies had cleaned the area out years before. Then Reg grins and says "I guess we missed a few". On another subsequent trip to that park I dug another silver dime. On that visit a couple of other detectorists stopped by and I showed them the coin. They were complaining because they lived there and had searched the same park for about 5 years and never found a single silver coin. Here I am from a two hour drive away and maybe searched a total of six hours and pulled silver coins. I think they had an MXT and maybe a Garrett. So we went over the story of the TDI settings, the problem with nails, etc. I never heard back to see if they tried a TDI and were successful but maybe Reg has talked to those guys.

Anyway if you want to cherry pick high conductor coins start with the basic TDI settings. Also stay away from high EMI sources like traffic control boxes. Paul has done a lot of fine tuning with his machine and it shows. I hope to get to his familiarization level some day when I get the chance.

TDI SL, Whites XL Pro w/tone mods, Teknetics Mark 1, IDX w/Bills mods, Makro Racer

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 04/26/2017 04:45PM by TabWhisperer.

Date: April 26, 2017 10:49PM
so am I reading this right the TDI can disc out the nails pulltabs etc below zinc or give them a different tone to silver and copper ?

AJ

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 04/26/2017 10:51PM by amberjack.

Posted by: TabWhisperer
Date: April 26, 2017 11:21PM
I just set my TDI SL GB around 3, Conductivity switch to High, Gain around midway, Pulse 10, Threshold where I can just hear it and quietly walk right over the tabs and foil. I *think* I may have come across the occaisional surface junk that overloads it but again just lift the coil and junk will no longer sound off or give a distorted one way sound. A good surface target will give that two way bloop sound when you lift the coil. Those settings target zincs on up. Same thing with the regular TDI. I prefer the lighter SL. Paul - Old California has done a lot with adjusting for low conductors. That's on my to do list this year along with playing with a couple of older analog VLFs.

TDI SL, Whites XL Pro w/tone mods, Teknetics Mark 1, IDX w/Bills mods, Makro Racer

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 04/26/2017 11:22PM by TabWhisperer.

Date: April 27, 2017 04:23PM
Did a thorough test with tdi with The recommended setting and some other settings aswell and come up with the conclusion that the tdi is not my choice of detector for detecting in the park.for the purpose you folks are discussing here...and all I can say is if it's working for you good luck and keep using it .:closedeyes:u

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 04/27/2017 04:26PM by J.D.

Date: April 28, 2017 05:08AM
just thought I'd add that your not your not a metal Detectorist if you can't juggle cats:closedeyes:

Minelab Etrac FBS III Supertracker Pro
Minelab Excalibur III POS-Pro
Fisher Gold Bug Pro
Whites Tdi EMI - POS- Pro mk 1

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 04/28/2017 05:30AM by J.D.

Date: April 28, 2017 07:00AM
J.D
Did a thorough test with tdi with The recommended setting and some other settings aswell and come up with the conclusion that the tdi is not my choice of detector for detecting in the park.for the purpose you folks are discussing here...and all I can say is if it's working for you good luck and keep using it .:closedeyes:u

What tests did you even do? Here's what my TDI can do. I can pile 3 nails on top of a silver dime and get a good repeatable signal. Then when I remove the dime and sweep over only the nails, I get silence. No VLF can do that. Not even close. The TDI is a silver sniffing monster.

Date: April 28, 2017 09:08AM
that sounds pretty impressive to me and I have no doubt its true, just wondering why this detector hasn't taken off more in park disc hunting ? I am up for trying new things some work some not so much but that's impressive from any detector.

probably only detector that I have that would pass that test is the old 7" Compadre , but when in the field I have other detectors that kick its butt hunting in iron so I am always a bit sceptical of non in ground testing.

not to say TDI wont do it in ground but the 2000 $ question is do I want to chance 2000 of my $ to find out :unsure: it is the only question I can ask myself...

thanks for the reports and settings who knows one day I may need them :biggrin:

AJ

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 04/28/2017 09:10AM by amberjack.

Date: April 28, 2017 09:22AM
I did exactly as you and tabwhisper asked same settings and all...I actually spent a few hours on it..tried some of my own aswell .Im s bit baffled as to why you are so adamant that the tdi will do such things..unless I'm not doing things right..I hope you don't mind me asking some questions.
1 - what coil are you using,is it mono or Dd or folded
2 - does frequency affect signals
3- Gb on at minimum and high tone on ...and even tried low tone...and gain at about 3 on my tdi ..should it still do what you are saying
4- I tried it alongside an etrac-ctx3030-xp deus And really was nowhere near being any kind of competition to them
5..is there something wrong with my tdi pro
6..is yours the Reg modded version or standard version and does the tdi need Regs mods for it to do what you are saying
:closedeyes:

Minelab Etrac FBS III Supertracker Pro
Minelab Excalibur III POS-Pro
Fisher Gold Bug Pro
Whites Tdi EMI - POS- Pro mk 1

Edited 3 time(s). Last edit at 04/28/2017 09:46AM by J.D.

Date: April 28, 2017 07:35PM
J.D
I did exactly as you and tabwhisper asked same settings and all...I actually spent a few hours on it..tried some of my own aswell .Im s bit baffled as to why you are so adamant that the tdi will do such things..unless I'm not doing things right..I hope you don't mind me asking some questions.
1 - what coil are you using,is it mono or Dd or folded
2 - does frequency affect signals
3- Gb on at minimum and high tone on ...and even tried low tone...and gain at about 3 on my tdi ..should it still do what you are saying
4- I tried it alongside an etrac-ctx3030-xp deus And really was nowhere near being any kind of competition to them
5..is there something wrong with my tdi pro
6..is yours the Reg modded version or standard version and does the tdi need Regs mods for it to do what you are saying
:closedeyes:

1. I'm using the standard 12 inch dual field the detector comes with.
2. No
3. GEB set to minimum means it's barely on. On, but barely. Not off, as in putting the detector in straight pulse mode (where you only get high tones). The conductivity switch is set to high, meaning you hear only low tones. You need to have the conductivity switch set to high to experience the magic.
4. Here is another test you can do. Put two pulltabs on top of a quarter. Right on top. Touching the quarter. Using the settings I mentioned in part 3, swing over the quarter and tabs. You will get a low tone. Now remove the quarter and only swing over the tabs. Nothing. Your CTX can't do that.
5. If you can only turn gain up to 3 before the threshold becomes unstable, even when you are away from emi, there might be an issue with your machine. At max gain and away from emi, my machine has a slight warble in the threshold. It's never enough to fool me into thinking it's a target.
6. My machine is a factory standard tdi pro with no mods done.

Posted by: doc holiday232
Date: April 29, 2017 02:14PM
BBQed settings work-----Thanks BBQ.

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login