Findmall.com

Whites TDI Classroom

Welcome! Log In Register
Re: TDI Signal Chart
Posted by: TabWhisperer
Date: April 29, 2017 04:31PM
AJ said "just wondering why this detector hasn't taken off more in park disc hunting?". In my opinion It's because it's a PI and you and I and most people would never consider a PI machine for coins in a park. That's just normal conventional thinking. I always assumed they were meant for gold, relic and beach hunting. They have no VDI display, only two tones and are expensive compared to most VLFs (buy a clean used one if you can't afford a new one-that's what I did). Besides Whites is only selling the TDI SL now.

I think it's apparent Reg knows TDIs better than Whites and has corrected design errors and designed enhancements. I believe the Target Conductivity High/Low switch on the TDI machines came about from Reg's work. For him to figure out a round about way to hunt coins is a natural next step of that switch development. I suppose it's from his own curiosity and love of coin hunting but he will have to answer that, if he feels likes it. If you don't like heavy machines get an SL. Plus the stock SL has a stable threshold compared to regular stock TDIs. If you are into doing basic circuit mods Reg has made those available and you can add about an inch to your SL. Reidman used to make a 14v battery and it got close in depth to a full size TDI, but I'm not sure he makes those any more. SL's are excellent for park hunting IMHO. Get a folded mono coil (Miner John 8x12 is very suitable) and it smooths out even more. PI coils don't come cheap compared to VLF coils. Hopefully you shouldn't need too many if you go forward with outfitting a TDI for yourself. I only have the stock coil and the MJ coil and it's all I need. I've considered a Whites 7 inch dual field if I ever get into nugget hunting in AZ. At least I assume that should work well.

So this setup isn't about making it the end all coin machine. Everyone has gone back to hunted out spots with various VLFs and noticed they found more stuff because the machines were different or they just happen to swing the coil over a target at the right angle. This is another extension of that philosophy especially if you have older sites with iron trash and silver. But I have to admit zincs still drive me nuts but sometimes when you clear them out there is something else under them or they turn out to be a silver ring. Actually I found a silver pendant with a few gemstones and a diamond in it with my SL a few weeks back that I assumed was another zinc since it was so shallow.

I dream someone can eventually figure out a way to make PI technology work more like a VLF with disc and full tones. Wouldn't that be cool?

Edit--I just read the description of the TDI SL on Whites site and they call it a relic and prospecting machine - no mention of coins.

TDI SL, Whites XL Pro w/tone mods, Teknetics Mark 1, IDX w/Bills mods, Makro Racer

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 04/29/2017 04:43PM by TabWhisperer.

Posted by: Clive
Date: April 29, 2017 06:41PM
Hi Reg
thank you for all the posts you have done I have an tdi sl and yes it has a large learning curve but practice practice practice learn the different sounds,One question I would like to ask is that Coiltek brought out coils designed for the tdi series and advertise they are more sensitive than the whites coils do you or anyone else have used coiltek coils on a tdi sl
Cheers
Clive

Posted by: J.D
Date: May 02, 2017 07:42AM
Well after a frustrating last couple of days I discovered a small problem with the tdi ,nothing major just had to change a faulty the toggle switch...well I've gotta say wow the conductivity function is awesome.after I repaired the tdi I did a few tests and then went out for a hunt in a spot that has been smacked to death ..the first target was a silver coin wow wow wow this is amazing I thought to myself..what a detector ..then the coins kept coming over 20 coppers and another 2 more silver coins and like you said very little junk..I do apologise for doubting you guys...thanks for sharing the info guys ..the tdi is got to be one of the best detectors ever made...if I seemed cheesy in my previous posts guys please accept my apologies Reg and friends here ..love y'all :cheekkiss:

Posted by: Jim in Idaho
Date: May 02, 2017 09:59AM
JD, I'm tickled you got it solved. Good hunting in the future!
Jim

Posted by: mntnflyr4fun
Date: May 02, 2017 11:20AM
Posted by: TabWhisperer
Date: May 02, 2017 01:12PM
JD - glad you found that bad switch! I was feeling a little bad for you since I know that thing should do well and your feedback didn't make sense for what should have been happening. After a little practice the good/bad target selection comes naturally. Sure there will still be some stuff that fools you but the good hits usually stand out from any direction with a nice round sound. If you are around rusty nails laying horizontal you may find they sound off one way and not the other and probably not at all if you cross check at 90 degrees. I still manage to find a nail here and there situated vertically with the nail head on top that sounds like a great silver coin. It happens if you are in that kind of environment where there may have been old buildings.

TDI SL, Whites XL Pro w/tone mods, Teknetics Mark 1, IDX w/Bills mods, Makro Racer

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 05/02/2017 01:13PM by TabWhisperer.

Posted by: doc holiday232
Date: May 03, 2017 01:55PM
Dear Whites detectors this Reg's post has Over 12,500 hits---I'm betting NO other posts on a Whites detector has received more hits !!! Does this tell you anything about the TDI series??? Probably not, since I was told by your Whites guy that"TDI is old technology"---well so is my 5900,but it will blow ANY current Whites outta the water.

Posted by: J.D
Date: May 05, 2017 09:17AM
Hmmm ...doc holiday232 ...one is free to assume whatever they believe in. ...hmm nyeees....what makes you say your 5900 has more to offer than the tdi ,we would love to hear more ,please do elaborate won't you:closedeyes:

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 05/05/2017 09:19AM by J.D.

Posted by: doc holiday232
Date: May 05, 2017 12:50PM
J.D
Hmmm ...doc holiday232 ...one is free to assume whatever they believe in. ...hmm nyeees....what makes you say your 5900 has more to offer than the tdi ,we would love to hear more ,please do elaborate won't you:closedeyes:

Read more carefully----I AM defending the TDI series---My statement about the 5900 was about "old technology" still being as good as any of Whites new technology. I strongly feel that Whites dropped the ball big time on neglecting the updated mods that Reg developed. I have 4 MineLabs--2 of them PI,but much prefer the TDI Pro.

Posted by: amberjack
Date: May 05, 2017 03:34PM
I feel from my experience Whites seem to leave a lot of there detectors on the bench they seem to have so much potential that doesn't get filled for what ever reason and I have nothing against Whites they have great after sales service, they just seem to be lacking an engineer that can take them to the next level... shame really.

AJ

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login