Findmall.com

Whites TDI Classroom

Welcome! Log In Register
Re: Coiltek 6" Mono Tdi coil test against NF Sadie, Miner John 6" folded mono, White's 150 etc..
Posted by: roadapple
Date: March 12, 2017 12:13AM
Looking forward to the in ground test......as these are more factual and telling.... IMO. Thanks again for the test results !!!

Re: Coiltek 6" Mono Tdi coil test against NF Sadie, Miner John 6" folded mono, White's 150 etc..
Posted by: karelian
Date: March 12, 2017 06:53AM
For Stephenscool I'll include a few 'larger' coils into the mix, same targets for air tests and then a larger variety for the ground testing. Half Sovereign is just shy of 4 grams. I'll get that old White's belt buckle out, just for the relic hunters...

Yes ground testing is more telling, ironstone, hot rocks and rich red earth full of minerals. Until then I'll finish the air tests with a few larger coils, stock White's 12 duelfield and White's 12 mono, Digger 14 x 8, Detech 15 x 10 and whatever else I can find..

I will actually test in gold country, not beach sand.. sooner rather than later.

Until then all the best,
Karelian

Posted by: John(Tx)
Date: March 12, 2017 11:31AM
Karelian, which small coil is that in the picture, the black one? Is that a White's coil or aftermarket, I do see where it says TDI? thanks

Date: March 12, 2017 05:15PM
Sold by Jimmy Sierra, made for him by Whites using 6 x 4 Shooter housing. Called the Mini Jimmy. A small Tdi coil 6x4 mono. Wee bit on the rare side I think since only a few made.
Karelian

Date: March 12, 2017 05:22PM
For Stephenscool, these are the only 'large coils' I could get at the moment. I'll do the same air test and include them in the ground testing later.
Both White's 12" mono and duelfield, Miner John made coil for Jimmy Sierra the 'Digger 14x8 mono, Detech 15 x 10 mono. Hope it helps.
Karelian

Posted by: stephenscool
Date: March 12, 2017 06:23PM
I'm using the 14x8 almost exclusively for beach hunting.

Date: March 12, 2017 06:59PM
Yep love that Digger 14 x 8, nice steady coil with smooth operation, so light.. Got the air tests out of the way, proper ground testing to follow later on.

Whites 12" Duelfied.... 1 grain 6cm/2.5", 0.5 gram gold coin 28cm/11", 1/2 Sovereign 37cm/14.5", White's Buckle 63cm/24.75"......

Whites 12 Oz mono... 1 grain8cm/3.25, 0.5 gram gold coin 27cm/10.75" 1/2 Sovereign 40cm/16", White's Buckle 63cm/ 24.75"...

Detech 15 x 10 mono 1 grain 7cm/2.75", 0.5 gram gold coin 31cm/12", 1.2 Sovereign 42cm/16.5" White's Buckle 66cm/26".......

Digger 14 x 8 mono, 1 grain 7cm/2.75", 0.5 gram gold coin 27cm/10.75", 1/2 Sovereign 37cm/14.5", White's Buckle 61cm/24"

Ok decent performance on one grain and two feet on a buckle, no complaints. Ground tests will be interesting..

Hope this is what you were after Stephenscool, that Digger keeps up well and is a lot lighter and better balanced.

All the best,
Karelian

Posted by: Mega
Date: March 12, 2017 09:39PM
@Karelian,must admit i really do appreciate all this indepth testing that you have been doing with all these various coil combinations,must be one of the most thorough and complete coil reviews for the TDI range of detectors.So many thanks for take all the time in doing it.

My Coiltek 14x9 Mono is still the main every day use coil,it gives me reasonable depth but also light for the size as its foam filled,always fancied the Digger but missed out when they had been on special offer last year,main reason i did not buy it was that the Coiltek that i all ready have is basically the same size and i thought why duplicate it.

Deus and Nexus MP main everyday detectors

Displays on a Detector are really the equivalent of relying on sub-titles,give me a Analogue machine anyday.

Site specific use machines.
TDI Pro 20'' Mono
Nexus SE dual 9'' coil
Fisher TW-5 twin box
Crossbow PI Coiltek 14x9 Mono
Mirage PI 5'' Mono
DFX 18'' Detech
T2 SEF15x12
IDX Pro 15'' Concentric
Arado120b
B1 and B3
Trident11 Extreme NEL Snake

Mainly hunt deep ploughed and pasture sites,trashy roman/saxon and celtic permissions.

Posted by: mntnflyr4fun
Date: March 12, 2017 11:11PM
This is some great information, thank you for taking so much time to test all this equipment and then sharing the results with everyone.

One question I have is what constitutes a valid signal in your test? a solid dig me signal, or a wave in the threshold? I just wonder as I am just getting started with a TDI PRO and have a few coils of my own that I am sorting thru. When I did my first pass of a test with my Pro, I was only getting about 5" on a 4grain nugget....I may have had it setup wrong which is why I am wondering what I should be looking for in a response to compare my coils/settings with what you are achieving.
Thanks agian for all your hard work.
Kerry

Date: March 13, 2017 12:31AM
karelian
Should mention that only measurements recorded as centimeters are spot on, my inches are conversions and are not spot on..
Also when recording target response and distance I am only measuring clear and consistent target responses, not whispers... So the target must consistently be detected, no matter how faint, reliably every sweep. Whispers can be more variable and less reliable, can be missed etc thus they are not recorded as detected depth. I'm using a Nokia MD11 amplified external speaker which is FANTASTIC and compares with my best headphones, excellent on hot days when wearing a wide brim hat or fly net etc.. Great in the bush but too noisy in public spaces.. perfect for coil tests..

Air tests use small targets ranging from 1 grain ingot to one Australian gold half Sovereign. Ground tests will include a couple larger targets so we can better understand depth on bigger targets. For example the Sadie and Coiltek 6" coils both easily detect a metal disk at over one meter in the air, nearly four feet. Obviously big coils are best for large and deep targets but it's important to know what the smaller coils can and can't do. Just adding a bit of context and background.
I'll get the air tests out of the way and move on to the ground testing shortly after that.
All the best,
Karelian

Yep, 'only clear and consistent target responses'... must be consistently detected, no matter how faint, reliably every sweep.'
The very faint audio upsets or whispers often are not consistent or repeatable.. so are NOT recorded.
Given the characteristics of the Tdi Pro audio and threshold I thought it important to make the point.

Should add that a 4 grain nugget may be of a size, shape or consistency that does not appeal to Pulse Induction machines. I've refrained from using nuggets in this test because 'you' or anyone else cannot repeat my tests, by using coins or ingots the tests are repeatable. Each and every coin or ingot is a near duplicate whilst nuggets are notorious for being different.

Karelian

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 03/13/2017 12:38AM by karelian.

Posted by: doc holiday232
Date: March 13, 2017 05:18PM
Karelian, thanks for the effort and great info.
One question: you said you felt that the mod was fine for beach,but your opinion is that for prospecting the factory setup is best. Just curious.

Date: March 13, 2017 06:02PM
Mods introduce a bit of ground noise, not much but factory specs are superior in rejecting hot rocks etc, a bit of extra performance and smoother threshold vs extra ground noise, so for the beach the ground noise is not an issue but it could be for prospectors. It's not that bad but you do notice the difference. Back off on gain and make sure you have proper ground balance, no big deal. Because of the character of the gold in the areas I hunt conductivity stays in ALL, Low quietens this down but for me it's not an option. Since I'm 90% beach 10% prospecting the mods make real sense to me. Again my opinions only.
Karelian

Posted by: Old California
Date: March 13, 2017 11:10PM
Thanks Karelian for taking the time to share these test results, we greatly appreciate these informative post hopefully you're not spending too much $$$.

My TDI has the mods, which I need to help combat EMI for my type of park hunting. Have found using Miner John coils greatly reduces EMI as well even with the larger coils.

I see some TDI user's using All conductivity, Some using Low or some using High. Although I would prefer using ALL, in most conditions with park trash i'm finding myself operating with high and then followup using low over the same area.

Out in open areas I can use All, but not in trashy areas then forced to go with either low or high, can hear the deeper signals much better with running only one conductivity in trashy area's. These are for deep coin conditions, High for wheat pennies or silver coins. Low conductively for deep buffalo/v-nickel signal's.

With air testing, I'm finding air testing is pretty darn close to actual ground target's depth. TDI keeps amazing me, the more usage the more it keeps bringing in the goods from areas we considered tapped out.

Do plan on gold nugget hunting this spring with the TDI, your help here has greatly helped us determine which coils to invest in. Currently have the folded Miner John 6" x 11" and Miner John 8" x12" folded. Think these two should do well for my area up in gold county, have a GPX 5000 but the TDI is just too much fun.

Thanks again,
Paul

AKA..Paul (Ca)

Whites GoldMaster BFO
Compass Klodike BFO
Bountyhunter BFO
FisherScope TR
Metrotech TR
Detectron TR
Rayscope TR
Mity Mite TR
Garrett BFO
D-Tex BFO
Goldak TR
Relco BFO
Jecto BFO
Teknetics
Roach TR

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 03/13/2017 11:12PM by Old California.

Posted by: stephenscool
Date: March 14, 2017 06:21PM
interesting result in the 14x8.. wasn't expecting less than the stock coil on some targets.

Date: March 14, 2017 07:56PM
Might be different for the SL, tests were done with the Pro. Either way not much difference in depth, but that Digger is so much lighter and better balanced. My SL is unavailable so can't do a comparison. Air tests are one thing, the real challenge is in the ground testing.

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login