Findmall.com

Whites TDI Classroom

Welcome! Log In Register
Re:Don't expect these same results with a TDI SL
Posted by: mntnflyr4fun
Date: April 08, 2017 01:28PM
today I found an older test done by Karelain (Feb 2016 posted on this site) where he did air and ground test of these same targets with similar coil spread (10 coil test) but using a WHITES TDI SL, not the PRO. Another well run test with great result documentation (thanks Karelian) but what I found so interesting was the fact that the TDI PRO used in this current test blew the TDI SL out of the water on depth when compared to last years TDI SL test results. If you like depth, be glad you own a PRO.

Re: Re:Don't expect these same results with a TDI SL
Posted by: roadapple
Date: April 08, 2017 03:21PM
Both the standard TDI and the TDI Pro use the same size battery ...IMO.. this gives these units more power to the coil and therefore greater depth. All the tests run and conducted are of valuable information provided by Karelian's testing is greatly appreciated !

Re: Coiltek 6" Mono Tdi coil test against NF Sadie, Miner John 6" folded mono, White's 150 etc..
Posted by: karelian
Date: October 12, 2017 09:49PM
Just arrived today in the post, a White's SuperPulse 220 mono coil. Completed a quick air test, ground testing will follow at a later date..

Targets were the same as used in all testing, results are in centimeters..

Whites Tdi pro, gain max, ground balance OFF, Frequency in middle, conductivity in ALL, used built in speaker. Coil was stable and no EMI issues despite urban backyard testing.

1 grain ingot 8cm, Australian 5 cent coin 32cm, Australian 3 pence coin 33cm, 0.5 gram gold coin 27cm, 1 Australian penny 36cm.
Us Quarter 33cm, White's Belt Buckle 62cm and Half gold Sovereign 36cm.

Only clear repeatable signals recorded.. A light well balanced coil, White's quality etc Decent performance at this stage so I'm looking forward to using it on the beach and taking it out into the goldfields.

All the best,
Karelian

Re: Coiltek 6" Mono Tdi coil test against NF Sadie, Miner John 6" folded mono, White's 150 etc..
Date: October 13, 2017 12:50AM
Picked up an oddball coil, Nuggeteer 12 x 4 mono. It has poor overall depth but it is sensitivity to small gold.
Head to toe it loves the small stuff but is mediocre at best for everything else. Small Sadie or Tdi Coiltek 6" mono are better overall and offer superior performance at depth. That 12 x 4 footprint covers the ground faster though and it hits hard on small targets, again not very deep.

Some air tests, same as other coils, ground tests to follow. Tdi Pro, gain max, All conductivity, delay at 10, frequency in the middle, ground balance OFF. Very stable and quiet coil with no EMI and very little ground noise. Very heavy and solid coil, feels bullet proof....

1 grain 6cm, 5c 18cm, 3 pence 18cm, 0.5 gram gold coin 16cm, I penny 20cm, US Quarter 18cm, White's Buckle 30cm, Half Sov. 19cm.

The shape intrigued me but the performance not so much..

All the best,
Karelian

Posted by: Reg
Date: October 13, 2017 10:52AM
The 220 TDI coil is not a mono, but a concentric design. This means it is a TR type, which is a coil with a transmit and a separate receive, basically like the coils used on a VLF but with different winding designs to match a PI.

Please to not call it a mono and confuse people.

Reg

220 is a mono
Posted by: Reg
Date: October 13, 2017 01:27PM
Well, I was wrong, the 220 coil appears to be a mono after all and not a concentric as advertised. I took time to measure my 220 and found it to be a mono.

Sorry for any confusion I may have caused.

Concentric as it refers to coils usually means there are two or more windings with one or more usually centered inside another outer winding.

Reg

Posted by: markg
Date: October 13, 2017 02:16PM
Always good to read your responses Reg.:smile:

Date: October 13, 2017 06:25PM
I have greatly benefited from reading Reg's posts on this site for many years, look upon him as the TDI guru.. I thank him for helping me to gain a much better understanding of these wonderful machines. Perhaps one day we will be able to buy the Tdi Manual and Guide written by Reg, I'd part with my cash in a heartbeat..

All the best,
Karelian

Posted by: Ozleif
Date: October 13, 2017 09:05PM
Karelian.

The 12x4" Nuggeteer coil in your picture is not a true mono but in fact an AI "Anti Interference" Coil, which is a Mono coil that have been twisted into an elongated figure 8 shape, you will find there is a kind of dead spot around the middle of the coil where the twist in the coil is, still a good coil I use one in WA under power lines and on dry salt lakes.

I got both the 12x4" Mono and the AI Mono the Mono on my slightly modified SPP will do a 5¢ coin at 10" with the settings you use in your test.

_ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ __ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _

Reg. is kind of right regarding the 220 TDI coil , it is concentric (round) but also a mono coil.

Concentric: adjective = having a common center as circles or spheres.

Garrett have some PI coils incorrectly referred to as Mono as they in fact have 2 separate windings 1-TX and 1-RX within an 8" round coil, which is true to the word concentric!

Some concentric coils both VLF and PI are made out of shape like elongated/elliptical and still incorrectly referred to as concentric; they should in fact be called eccentric as that is their shape compared to concentric.

This post was not meant to be upsetting to anyone. :cheers:

Date: October 13, 2017 10:00PM
Ozleif is spot on, I failed to notice that it is AI and there is a dull zone in the middle. Explains why it is so quiet around EMI and the way it handles ground conditions. Always enjoy learning more, thanks Ozleif.

All the best,
Karelian

Posted by: Jim in Idaho
Date: October 14, 2017 09:39AM
Great to see you posting, Reg. I know how difficult typing is for you, and thank you for the extra effort it requires. Also, thanks for the coil info, and the same to you Karelian.
Jim

Posted by: Jim in Idaho
Date: October 14, 2017 09:41AM
Ozleif
Karelian.

The 12x4" Nuggeteer coil in your picture is not a true mono but in fact an AI "Anti Interference" Coil, which is a Mono coil that have been twisted into an elongated figure 8 shape, you will find there is a kind of dead spot around the middle of the coil where the twist in the coil is, still a good coil I use one in WA under power lines and on dry salt lakes.

I got both the 12x4" Mono and the AI Mono the Mono on my slightly modified SPP will do a 5¢ coin at 10" with the settings you use in your test.

_ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ __ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _

Reg. is kind of right regarding the 220 TDI coil , it is concentric (round) but also a mono coil.

Concentric: adjective = having a common center as circles or spheres.

Garrett have some PI coils incorrectly referred to as Mono as they in fact have 2 separate windings 1-TX and 1-RX within an 8" round coil, which is true to the word concentric!

Some concentric coils both VLF and PI are made out of shape like elongated/elliptical and still incorrectly referred to as concentric; they should in fact be called eccentric as that is their shape compared to concentric.

This post was not meant to be upsetting to anyone. :cheers:
Many thanks, for the info, Ozleif!
Jim

Posted by: doc holiday232
Date: October 14, 2017 11:53AM
Keep posting Reg----luv learnin' from you.

Posted by: stephenscool
Date: October 17, 2017 08:51PM
Interesting about the dead spot in the 12x4 coil. I had a Bigfoot coil made for me that ibswear was sounding dead in the middle. Now I have the answer

Date: November 13, 2017 02:44AM
I've had some time with the new to me White's Super Pulse 220 coil. It is a versatile size and a good performer. Initially I considered it an ideal size for the beach and that was my primary motivation in obtaining one. Good on smaller jewellery whilst still punching deep. It is a bit lighter and easier to swing than the standard 12" coil which is always welcome. I've started to prospect more, with our rich goldfields it is difficult not to give it a go. The Super Pulse 220 was mounted on a Tdi Pro and given a good workout, easy to ground balance, performance in hot ground was very good without any issues. Depth was good with lots of bullets and 22 casings found, along with other bits and pieces of junk. I've given the worked gullies enough attention and now also focus on the shallow ground on the side of the gullies and shallow hills etc. The beach will always reward me with finds, prospecting is a different game with most good targets hard won. I persist because I believe it makes me a more skilled and disciplined detectorist. I like that the Tdi does both jobs well.

Prospecting brings with it the requirement for more research, perseverance or determination. I've had to lift my game in equipment for example since the bush is less forgiving than the suburban beaches. If in remote areas I travel with a detecting partner and have to carry with me equipment, first aid and water etc.. Again the Whites Tdi Pro and the new coil are both up to the challenge. I'm more than happy with both.
The Super Pulse 220 is a good coil, it performs on the beach and the goldfields.

All the best,
Karelian

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login