Findmall.com

Whites TDI Classroom

Welcome! Log In Register
Understanding Frequency
Posted by: J.D
Date: April 23, 2017 07:59AM
Would someone please give explain what the frequency knob does on the tdi pro and how and where to use it ...I just don't understand it and can't see what it does ...a video by one the experts would be awesome ...:confused:

Re: Understanding Frequency
Posted by: stephenscool
Date: April 23, 2017 09:35AM
If your near cellphone towers or power lines you will learn pretty quickly what it's for

Date: April 23, 2017 10:50AM
so does it change the actual operating frequency then? What does it do?

Posted by: Jim in Idaho
Date: April 23, 2017 10:51AM
The TDI series operates at about 100khz, as I understand it. So, any transmission that's at a frequency that is a multiple (harmonic) of that 100khz freq is going to cause noise in your TDI. The frequency control tweeks the 100khz a little bit in either direction to get rid of the harmonic causing the noise. If you're out in the boondocks, and there's no interference, you won't see any difference by changing the freq control.
Jim

Date: April 23, 2017 11:14AM
Thanx Jim...I live on the coast and hunt the beaches occasionally .I find it very hard to push the gain past 4 and that's with GB off .. There are a lot of buildings around the beaches I hunt would that cause problems ...I have tried the lift coil in the air and adjust the frequency as in the instruction manual to no success ,I'm just wondering then is there just too much interference from a variety of frequencies happening ...newer wifi modems nearby ,can they be the cause.

Posted by: mntnflyr4fun
Date: April 23, 2017 12:51PM
From what I understand, it needs very small adjustments to find the sweetspot. I thankfully haven"t run into the issue yet.

Date: April 23, 2017 01:47PM
Yup...small adjustments, but it's also possible to be in a place with so much EMI you just can't run very hot.
Jim

Posted by: stephenscool
Date: April 24, 2017 01:57AM
Try turning up the delay to 13 or so.. reduce the gain to about 3 o'clock. IT might solve the problem

Posted by: Old California
Date: April 24, 2017 11:55AM
That's true Jim, some places TDI goes insane no mater the freq setting. I've found some of the Miner John coils helped in areas with inland EMI, that taught me coils can help with EMI as well.

Paul

AKA..Paul (Ca)

Whites GoldMaster BFO
Compass Klodike BFO
Bountyhunter BFO
FisherScope TR
Metrotech TR
Detectron TR
Rayscope TR
Mity Mite TR
Garrett BFO
D-Tex BFO
Goldak TR
Relco BFO
Jecto BFO
Teknetics
Roach TR

Date: April 24, 2017 02:07PM
I'm lucky, Paul. Living in Idaho, I rarely encounter problems with EMI. So, I don't know much about which coils tend to minimize it. I do like my Miner John 5 x 9 mono, though.
Jim

Posted by: doc holiday232
Date: April 29, 2017 02:18PM
JD, reading through your posts about your TDI and max gain settings leads me to believe your TDI may need to go back to Whites for an adjustment. Good Luck.

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login